Homebrew wii emulation

hemonecrophagia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright, i find this interesting, why is it that every site i visit there are a hundred or so posts on how wii emulation of certain systems cant be done,

- n64
-gcn on black wii and wiiu
-ds
ect...
i found people who claim these to be impossible yet i find it is very possible, so are these people pretty much full of it?
(dreamcast was one of them, though whoever was working on that project gave up on it, probably outta frustration boredom or life....)

and also why hasnt someone attempted to work on ps2 or at least psp emulation, there are several titles on wii already that are exactly the same as their previous ps2 counterparts, they just have wii controls ..

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Emulation is not simple as you think, it's not just run the game, you need a lot of work and knowledge, without forget you need about 6x capacity of original hardware to start working on emulating it.
n64: There is not64 available that run some games, worth a try,
GCN: Look for Nintendont, its not emulation but you will run Gamecube on all Wii's or Wii U
DS: There is desmume but wii hardware makes it impossible to do it. IIRC DS emulation is going fine on ios/android so you might want to give a try.
PS2: A good PC can't even barely emulate properly and you want to run on a wii?

edit: Forgot PSP, also, not a good idea for wii but you can emulate about right in IOS/Android.

hemonecrophagia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
someone on yahoo replied to the same with this;

Other than it not being worth the effort, it's possible to pretty much emulate any earlier console. The amount of work it may need though can be enormous.

One thing that may have passed you by is the fact that at a software level the Wii can emulate a DreamCast! When it comes to games that have PS2 and Wii versions, that's more down to cross compilation than emulation. Nintendo are actually in a rather strange position regards their emulation as they secured the rights to manufacture the CPUs in their earlier consoles (it used to be common practice to cross license).

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious why people want to emulate older consoles on a console that isn't portable and isn't HD. I emulate Wii(GC)/PS2 and lower on my PC. Anything that can be emulated on a portable console gets emulated on a portable console. If android wasn't moving so fast (and deprecating software in the process), I'd suggest that emulators be made for it. The Wii has an android port of Dolphin and while it's not fast, a new line of dual core Nividia arm processors is on the horizon and it looks promising.

SomeWeirdSin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious why people want to emulate older consoles on a console that isn't portable and isn't HD. I emulate Wii(GC)/PS2 and lower on my PC. Anything that can be emulated on a portable console gets emulated on a portable console. If android wasn't moving so fast (and deprecating software in the process), I'd suggest that emulators be made for it. The Wii has an android port of Dolphin and while it's not fast, a new line of dual core Nividia arm processors is on the horizon and it looks promising.

My computer is a piece of garbage and without my Wii, I wouldn't be able to play a lot of these emulated games. I love being able to play GBA games on my old ass TV and such. My computer is from 2009, and it overheats way too easily to comfortably play any emulation. For the majority though, you are right. Most people have TV's that support HDMI or VGA cables that make it easy to hook up your computer, and it is much more sensible to just do that. I represent the small majority of people who need their Wii to emulate their favorite old-school titles. One day I hope to have a nice enough set-up to just play my emulations from a custom tower (maybe with some dual core Nividia arms processors!).

Reactions: hemonecrophagia

hemonecrophagia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because not everyone has everything , and not everything 100% works for everyone else, up and downs ya know? everyone seems overlook the posibilities, nintendos gotten pretty lazy and childishly rebellious with their goal of trying to be unique, wii is allot more capable than people give credit, and so much more could have been done to the system, which is why they removed the ports and all on newer wiis, they've got some scheme going, but it may be years late in the making, because they think people are gonna wait that long while there are newer and just as popular systems out there now

hemonecrophagia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because not everyone has everything , and not everything 100% works for everyone else, up and downs ya know? everyone seems overlook the posibilities, nintendos gotten pretty lazy and childishly rebellious with their goal of trying to be unique, wii is allot more capable than people give credit, and so much more could have been done to the system, which is why they removed the ports and all on newer wiis, they've got some scheme going, but it may be years late in the making, because they think people are gonna wait that long while there are newer and just as popular systems out there now
oh and there are the 3rd party systems now where you can play the games off sd cards, but you have to order them overseas for $hundreds$ usually

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
someone on yahoo replied to the same with this;

Other than it not being worth the effort, it's possible to pretty much emulate any earlier console. The amount of work it may need though can be enormous.

One thing that may have passed you by is the fact that at a software level the Wii can emulate a DreamCast! When it comes to games that have PS2 and Wii versions, that's more down to cross compilation than emulation. Nintendo are actually in a rather strange position regards their emulation as they secured the rights to manufacture the CPUs in their earlier consoles (it used to be common practice to cross license).
It's not so easy as you think. Wii hardware it's not so complex to work with and emulate, the broadway cpu and holywood makes possible to emulate even on android as shown recently.
But it's not the case of PS2 and Dreamcast, the hardware is extremely complex to emulate and just a average/good PC can emulate it properly. The same applies to ps3/x360, you will not see a emulator of them so close. Just because some hardware have better specs than other means we can emulate it.

Yes, you can port dreamcast/ps2 to wii but only if you want to run at 1-2fps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte