Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
*facepalm*

No emulation being done by the GPU? Do you think wii games use DirectX/OpenGL?
When run in an emulator, yes. The emulator sends the graphical data to the GPU via DX/GL, and the GPU interprets it like any other game. This is what allows things like running N64 games at different aspect ratios, and running Wii games at a higher resolution than the system itself can do... because it's the GPU doing the rendering after it's been passed the setup/scene data.

The actual emulation is done by the CPU.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GX is a bare metal instruction set for the wii's ATI GPU. Emulating those same instructions via DirectX/OpenGL is about 10 times slower, especially when transferring textures because the main memory and GPU are no longer tied together like they are on real hardware. And those emulated ops are executed by the graphics card. The same graphics card that is also doing a bunch of other stuff for your OS that the wii's GPU never had to, like compositing and rendering the desktop. As I already said, if there's no graphics being drawn a basic Core2 PC (E6600 for example) will run dolphin faster than a real wii system runs - I know this for a fact and if you try to play Desert Bus you'll see evidence of it.

Just because it looks like your CPU utilization is at 100% while dolphin is running, doesn't mean it's being used to emulate the powepc; dolphin likes to use spinlocks as synchronization primitives so threads end up sitting in while loops instead of being suspended.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs