Hacking Wii DVD Lens Cleaning..?

bytor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've just started to get a few DREs when playing both backups and original discs. Only happens every now and then and am thinking that it may be a problem with my lens being dirty. Has anyone with a chipped Wii used a bog standard DVD lens cleaner or will I have to buy the official Nintendo one? Have seen an official one on Amazon and in the reviews it mentions that normal DVD lens cleaners won't work because the DVD won't spin. You have a kind of handle on the official one that you wiggle to clean the lens.

So...if my Wii is chipped, will that allow me to use a normal bog standard cleaner (ie will the disc spin because my drive is chipped?) and will it stop the official one from working (by spinning the cleaning disc?)..?

Thanks in advance for any help
smile.gif

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I dunno about the Wii, but I have heard those dvd/cd lens cleaners can do more harm then good on other devices.

You could try opening the Wii yourself and cleaning it very carefully. Also could need a pot adjustment.

bytor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wouldn't trust myself to open the thing up, a work colleague who I've lost contact with installed the Wiikey for me because I'm a Disaster Area lol.

TRushInfo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the wii uses a special and very strange cleaner. it doesnt have the brushes like normal ones do, it has a big pad with alcohol on it. This happened to me as well, backups quit working, then retial working on and off then finally nothing would read. tried a regular dvd cleaner and it wouldnt do anything cuz the wii wont read it. If you buy the wii cleaner, you have to move it up and down to scrub the lens yourself. i cleaned mine 3 times in a row and good as new now. Its a shame that the cheap dvd lens cleaners wont work

bytor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So is your Wii chipped..? Am worried about putting the official one in and the disc spinning due to my Wii having a Wiikey and breaking the drive.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
bytor said:
So is your Wii chipped..? Am worried about putting the official one in and the disc spinning due to my Wii having a Wiikey and breaking the drive.
That's a BIG LOL for you....that's so stupid. Nintendo can't detect ModChips, and destroy your Wii. That's realy, relay stupid, sorry. It's almost worth to put it in my Sig...nah, guess I wont...

I have the "Disc", it's plastic. And you even don't put it in your Wii and let it spin. You "spin" it. You have to move it up and down (or left and right). Look at the Pic:
nintendo-wii-lens-cleaner.jpg

Btw: I used it on my ModChipped Wii without any problems...so yes, it works without damaging anything
rolleyes.gif
. Made my day...

bytor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Blue-K said:
bytor said:
That's a BIG LOL for you....that's so stupid. Nintendo can't detect ModChips, and destroy your Wii. That's realy, relay stupid, sorry. It's almost worth to put it in my Sig...nah, guess I wont...

I have the "Disc", it's plastic. And you even don't put it in your Wii and let it spin. You "spin" it. You have to move it up and down (or left and right). Look at the Pic:
nintendo-wii-lens-cleaner.jpg

Btw: I used it on my ModChipped Wii without any problems...so yes, it works without damaging anything
rolleyes.gif
. Made my day...

I'm fully aware of that mate.
rolleyes.gif
I just thought that the chip may enable the disc to spin, getting the handle caught on the edge of the disc slot resulting the drive continuing to try and spin - and being stopped by the handle - damaging the drive
wink2.gif
Will order one now that I know, thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night