Hacking Wii/DS connectivity (not a stupid question)

wchill

Resident chillxpert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't flame me for asking this but...
What exactly is preventing Wii/DS connectivity from working here when using a flashcart? (Other than a CycloDS Evo I mean.)
I've seen the same questions said over and over... Can my *insert flashcart here* connect to my Wii so I can play Pokemon, POKEMON, MORE POKEMON?!?!?
Or, "Why can't my DS/DS Lite connect to my Wii so I can play Pokemon, POKEMON, MORE POKEMON?!?!? I'm doing everything right and I'm using *insert flashcart here*"
The reply: "You can't. Go get a CycloDS Evo."
No explanation here? Maybe an explanation could clear things up, hmm?

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The REASON is the way most flash cards actually work.

the CycloDS and G6 are the only 2 (to my knowledge) that work with Wii connectivity because of the way they load the ROM into it's memory (not the DS's memory).

It's hard to explain how without getting very technical. To put it simply, the way the ROM is loaded into the flash cards on board chip to be read by the DS is why it can be read by the Wii as well.

Hope that helps a little!

wchill

Resident chillxpert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So the problem here is the way the ROM is loaded into memory.
Then I would believe the Wii is reading data from the game cart and not the DS's RAM.
Because to the Wii, the flashcart's contents look like junk, there's a connection error.
So what the CycloDS Evo and G6DS Real (is it the Real?) do is trick the Wii into reading the data from their onboard memory instead from the microSD card/NAND, just like how a PassMe/NoPass tricks the DS into reading data from slot-2 with the ARM-7 processor (DS mode).
Am I close enough?

And the way to enable connectivity on all other carts would be to force the Wii to read the DS's RAM. Which does not seem simple.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte