Wii drive question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by fatfrank, Dec 31, 2009.

Dec 31, 2009

Wii drive question by fatfrank at 8:41 AM (614 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. fatfrank
    OP

Member fatfrank GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Excuse me if this been covered, i didn't find a clear answer to this yet.

I have a LU4016XXXX serial. This wii was bought just before christmas so it's most probably a d3-2 board.

If i want to use a device like drivekey to boot from DVDs or Flatmii from pc, would i ahev to replace just the drive board to a d2c or do i have to change the whole drive?

Also if i should go with soft mod, can i downgrade to 4.1 according to my serial? I'm on 4.2 and i heard some newer Wiis will brick if you try to downgrade them after reaching 4.2.

Thank you in advance for the clarifications.

2. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    no need to downgrade, 4.2 is hackable and has just recently a new system menu hack allows for regionfree everything

3. fatfrank
    OP

Member fatfrank GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    great, thanks, glad to hear that then. aside from a few games that seem to have issues, like Castlevania Judgement and Little King Story, (those are some i noticed in a compatibility list that might be out of date) most ISOs are reported to work flawlessly, why are modchips still being sold for the Wii???

Thanks for your reply i think i'll be modding tommorow morning and going out to buy an external hdd.