Wii don't read any DVD.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Rei, Mar 6, 2008.

Mar 6, 2008

Wii don't read any DVD. by Rei at 7:34 PM (2,130 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Rei
    OP

Newcomer Rei Advanced Member

United States
    I am very clueless what to do right now.
    Heres what i did in the day:

First of all, i de-upgraded my Wiikey to 1.9b in the morning to test the SSBB with it. Than I tried with both region and speed settings with it.

Than I made a multi gc disc with 3 isos in it; SSBM Pal, Super Mario Sunshine NTSC, and the Wiikey 1.3 setup

I tried it, and SSBM didn't work, but SMS did. I was curious with my Wiikey settings and i put another just setup disc to my Wii and changed the settings with "Region Override: On" and "Read Speed: 6x". Than i closed the disc and now whatever disc I put in (GC or Wii, Verbatim, Original or another Brand), i get an "Unable To Read Error" or the black screen with "There was an error with your Wii blabla..."

What to do now ?

Edit: There's a little thing i noticed, when i put a disc in it, it tries to read it (the disc spin) but immediately stops spinning and the menu music goes off and on for a split second. I don't know if it was doing it before or recently...

2. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    Did you change the read speed FROM 6x? or TO 6x? If it was on 6x and you changed it to 3x that is probably the problem.

Try the recovery disk for wiikey and then upgrde back to 1.9g it should reset it back to 6x

3. stok3d

Member stok3d Retro Gaming Inc.

Canada
    use the 1.2 or 1.2b config disc to get back into the wiikey setup and turn region override off, you'll be good to go

4. Rei
    OP

United States
    I think i changed it TO 6x. I'm not sure atm, my head is messed up

I was preparing the recovery disc, i should try that...

And this is the first and the last time i do a de-upgrade...

5. stok3d

Canada
    ah well the disc speed isn't what's causing you grief, it's the region setting

6. Bob Loblaw

United States
    the region setting shouldn't matter if it isn't playing ANY discs. 3x disc read speed is a known killer. So just keep on with the recovery disc and try like i suggested.

7. Rei
    OP

United States
    It's making the recovery right now, i'm waiting at the menu for at least 3 mins.

If that doesn't work, time for your suggestion stok3d.

Edit: Recovery didn't work i think, still doesn't read any discs. I had to wait in the menu at least 3 mins right.
    I'm thinking something is wrong with the lens itself, like it didn't even read the rec disc.
    So i get the feeling that Wii will not even read the 1.2 config disc... Well downloading & burning it now..

8. Bob Loblaw

United States
    it just occured to me that if you did switch it to 3x (which i assume happened because the default is 6x and you said you changed that setting) than even the recovery disc will have trouble being read.
    like you said you had to sit there for 3 min like the laser is reading slower.

this happened to someone else i remember but i don't think they ever posted with what they ended up doing. because you would need to flash the wiikey back to 6x but since the wii can't read dvd's you would have to take it out and use a atmel programmer.

9. Rei
    OP

United States
    Well, I don't know what happened.
    I had to restart my computer so I went inside while wii was open with no disc, and when I came back I suddenly remembered that I had a config 1.2 disc. Tried it and Wii did read it! I went to the options immediately and it was in the 6x and region override was off like I wanted...
    Now it's working completely fine, reading all discs...

The things I understand from this situation is nothing. Well I'm happy again that's for sure...

PS: Upgrading my Wii to 1.9g right now...

10. Bob Loblaw

United States
    oh nice!

well you have to remember that no matter what your settings are at it will always say 6x and region off when you put the config disc in because the config disc can't read the current settings. so even if it's 3x and RO: On, it will say 6x and off.

11. Rei
    OP

United States
    Oh i didn't know that! Well saved settings again when i put 1.2 so i'm good for now.

12. Bob Loblaw

United States
    nice now wiikey just need an even newer update [​IMG]

13. Rei
    OP

United States
    Yeah, all this happened because of SSBB [​IMG]

14. stok3d

Canada
    glad it worked, it happened to me before, btw ur welcome [​IMG]

15. Rei