Hacking Wii does nothing but Black Screen is this common?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skater4599

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was modding a friends brand new red wii for him.
Installed HBC > Trucha bug > Darkcorp 1.1 > Setup USB Loaders/Emulators for him and installed Startpatch 4.3 hacks. It rebooted i tested out the startpatch hacks and all was working well so i played a game in WiiFlow make sure it worked, it did, tested Emulators they worked great so i turned it off unplugged it gave it back to him, he calls me and says the wii is broke it does nothing but black screen no sound/video nothing just black screen on the T.V. Only thing that had happend between then is taking it from my house to his, I got it back from him and tested it back at my house with both A/V and Component cables and same result, Bootmii was only installed as an IOS (obviously) and i had applied startpatch recovery menu by pressing y on 4th gamecube pad, but neither bootmii or recovery menu worked. I've never seen this issue before on a wii (I've modded 50-75 of them now at least). Whats odd too is the wiimote will actually sync but no sound/vibration from it or the T.V. Anyone have any idea what could have caused this? Or possibly a way to fix this? It almost seems to me like the video hardware just crashed but in all my time modding wii's I've never had it happen, so is this common?

Thanks for any help/replies!

Servdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In all your time modding wiis, have you ever heard of the program called priiloader? Its much safer to use than startpatch, does everything useful that startpatch can do, and also offers solid brick protection in the hands of an able user. And you install darkcorp on a wii that can't read burned discs. Some master wii hacker you are.

I feel sorry for all those people with ticking time bombs for wiis that you modded. Hopefully they all have bootmii installed as boot2.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Try savemiifrii, see if the recovery menu is functional. Did you ever reboot this wii before giving it back to him? It almost sounds like you enabled a black screen hack in startpatch.

Skater4599

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used Darkcorp for its one click fix of the cios install as well, im aware it cannot read burned discs, I use the exact same proven process that works for all wii's, this way i know exactly whats been done to any given wii i did if somone had a question/problem.

@servdogg - Your a smartass, go back under the bridge and troll elsewhere, yes i know what preloader/priiloader is... nowhere in my post did i say im a master wii hacker, i simply said i've modded tons and have had no problems, i've been in the wii scene since only mod chips existed, im well aware of what this shit is, It would be pretty stupid to post here asking for help and say in the same damn sentence "im a master i know everything there is to know"

anyways... At first i though startpatch fucked it up, but i had already rebooted the wii with the patches applied and it worked, Doesnt make sense that it would work once then not again, it either works or it dont

Skater4599

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mauifrog said:
Try savemiifrii, see if the recovery menu is functional. Did you ever reboot this wii before giving it back to him? It almost sounds like you enabled a black screen hack in startpatch.

Got it working! Not sure exactly what the issue was, perhaps this is correct. I got to this and ended up reinstalling everything from scratch even the system menu to remove any hacks etc. Thanks for your suggestion and thanks to all who had something constructive to say at least!

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Skater4599 said:
I used Darkcorp for its one click fix of the cios install as well, im aware it cannot read burned discs, I use the exact same proven process that works for all wii's, this way i know exactly whats been done to any given wii i did if somone had a question/problem.

@servdogg - Your a smartass, go back under the bridge and troll elsewhere, yes i know what preloader/priiloader is... nowhere in my post did i say im a master wii hacker, i simply said i've modded tons and have had no problems, i've been in the wii scene since only mod chips existed, im well aware of what this shit is, It would be pretty stupid to post here asking for help and say in the same damn sentence "im a master i know everything there is to know"

anyways... At first i though startpatch fucked it up, but i had already rebooted the wii with the patches applied and it worked, Doesnt make sense that it would work once then not again, it either works or it dont

You are lucky, if you've modded THAT much Wii's, you've been lucky no one has had problems. Why the hell would you use Darkcorp?
You say when you work your way, you know exactly whats been done to the Wii...THAT IS NOT THE WAY EVER. The complete system is being replaced!
Tolally not nessicary, and dangerous ( although Darkcorp seems stable now )

When i modded wii's I only installed things that were save and nessicary. Only HBC, System menu 4.1 or 4.2, ios 58, Cios 236, Hermes 222 base38, 223 base 56, 224 base 57.
ios 202 ( for homebrew ) . Waninkoko's Cios 249rev 20 - base 56, 250 - base38, 248 -base 57. and offcourse Priiloader. Before doing anything I'd made a Nand dump before installing any Cios.

I know excactly what's installed. I'd say your friend was very lucky because you only know half of what you are doing. How can you mod that many Wii's anyway?
Did you get paid? Or do you have that much friends?

Update the way you are working. A lot of things are obsolete.Before you break something, take a look at Modmii. It wll make your life a lot easier.

Btw I'm happy the Wii works again.

Servdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My comment was intended to be constructive.

I just think when you do something risky to a $200 device that someone else owns, whether they pay for your services or you do it as a "favor", you are personally obligated to empower yourself with the knowledge to do a safe and proper job with that device.

Since you admit to have personally modded 50-75 wiis and your comments illustrate that you leave these wiis in state in which any sort of brick will likely be unfixable, I think informing you of the correct and responsible way to enable system menu hacks was needed and appropriate.

Skater4599

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok guys, the issue is resolved... i appreciate the comments, im also well aware of risks/benefits/on-going debate about darkcorp being good or bad, I've never personally had one single issue with darkcorp on any wii, it enables trucha bug in all ios's in one click, i chose to put it on there on purpose in my own actions taking full responsibility for it. Im not getting paid for this no, I've done all my friends/family's and then friend of a friend and on it goes.

@servdogg - You are right and wrong, I do not leave any wii in a state that any sort of brick will leave them unfixable, infact at one point darkcorp saved one of my friends wii's, his son deleted the HBC and all custom forwarders and at the time i needed trucha to get back into it and install a vulnerable ios so the HBC could reinstall, and i know this is no longer needed with recent updates which is why I'm no longer installing darkcorp on wii's, Though Darkcorp was NOT the issue with this red wii, and I make nand backups of every wii and put it on there own external HDD for safe keeping, this way if they did something stupid i can restore nand from there own HDD. At any rate next time if you want to say something "constructive" dont do it in a non constructive derogatory way or tell me that I dont know what i'm doing, I've been around here and the wii scene for a long time. And yes i even use priiloader once its all done (if no bootmi boot2) and the wii needs it.

Reboot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using Darkcorp to install trucha is way overkill, and not easier then the right way to do it.
1. run the software
2. click 3 whole buttons

Wow, you use dark corp to avoid those 2 whole steps?

Check out the guide in this section before you mod any more wii's that aren't yours.

Skater4599

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reboot said:
Using Darkcorp to install trucha is way overkill, and not easier then the right way to do it.
1. run the software
2. click 3 whole buttons

Wow, you use dark corp to avoid those 2 whole steps?

Check out the guide in this section before you mod any more wii's that aren't yours.

Thanks Troll... cya later

For the THIRD time, the issue is resolved, thanks to anyone who had something not troll like to say, nothing to see here. Move on...

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, darkcorp has never bricked a wii. It has no more risk than any other method used to patch the system ios. Anyone with the opinion that darkcorp has any EXTRA risk involved is misinformed.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Skater4599 said:
Ok guys, the issue is resolved... i appreciate the comments, im also well aware of risks/benefits/on-going debate about darkcorp being good or bad, I've never personally had one single issue with darkcorp on any wii, it enables trucha bug in all ios's in one click,
The thing is, that's a pretty intrusive way of doing all that. There are better ways that don't do so much to your system. I know that won't stop you, I'm just saying that I'm sure this is why it's driving people crazy that you said you do that.
smile.gif

Servdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darkcorp is no problem. I use it sometimes and I install it on other people's wiis if they want to use disc loading. It works well and is safe to use and install if you know what your doing.

My problem is leaving a bootmii installed as ios wii with no means of brick protection. In the state you leave these wiis, with no priiloader installed, if your friends and/or customers come across a bad wad and install it the only means of recovery is the savemiifri patch you installed. This might allow for recovery, but is much more risky than just using priiloader, and makes recovery a much bigger hassle, than simply booting into priiloader and uninstalling the bad wad.

If it makes you happy though please continue to mod peoples wiis in inefficient ways and leave these wiis in a state that greatly enhances the liklihood of an unfixable brick, I just think this type of action is ethically suspect, and you should heed solid advice instead of calling everyone who is less than fully supportive a troll

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Darkcorp in this case is very obsolete because, the red Wii Will NEVER be able to read Backup discs.

vinzanity

Trophies
XP
Country
Hielkenator said:
Darkcorp in this case is very obsolete because, the red Wii Will NEVER be able to read Backup discs.

Not wanting to sound rude but I think you've made your point that Darkcorp was not needed on a machine with a D3-2 drive but to say that the red Wii will NEVER be able to read backup discs is just wrong. Black Wiis also came with D3-2 and they said it could NEVER play back-ups. Guess what, I have a black Wii with Wiikey1 to play my Gamecube collection because I SWAPPED my D3-2 for a moddable one. So i guess you could re-phrase it to "the red Wii Will NEVER be able to read Backup discs unless you swap the drives?"

terminal_illness

Dark Hadou Master
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
everyone has thier own logic when it comes to these things, criticizing him isnt going to help him at all, instead you could have helped him or kept your big mouths shut.

personally i dislike darkcorp, i think its overkill aswell, however to each thier own. darkcorp DOES do other things than just disc loading.

lulwut

Trophies
XP
Country
terminal_illness said:
darkcorp DOES do other things than just disc loading.
like?

o ye,
- trucha in every ios (overkill, not needed)
- nand permissions / ES_Identify in every ios (see above)
- cios in every ios ( also overkill )
- preventing updates in ios's that dont even matter if they existed/updated or not ( stupid AND overkill )

sooo, what useful thing would you get from darkcrap except of retardedness, fail coding (cios) everywhere & having done a useless step (let alone bricking risk)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: ¡¡¡ tttoN