Hardware Wii Display Problem

kajl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
hi guys,

i just registered to this forums today but I've been browsing quite a number of threads which helped me softmod my Wii
smile.gif

anyway, I've got a silly problem which is really irritating me. I've googled a lot but what I came to no conclusion, hence why I'm writing here maybe I get some professional help.

to make things simpler enough, i've posted a video on youtube to demonstrate my problem. I'll be posting the video description here which describes my problem in detail for any convenience.

Please spend 5mins of your life watching the video and help me!
smile.gif

keep up the good work!

Video description:

My Wii display problem!

My specs:

Wii downgraded from v3.4E to v3.2E (all the backups of the games I tried are PAL)
Homebrew Channel v1.0.3
cIOS36rev9
Wiigator's backup launcher v0.3 gamma with #002 fix
24K gold plated component cables @ 480p 60hz
32" LG LCD (model: 32LG3000)

My problem is that a lot of Wii games (not all) are displaying this annoying black border all around. The size of this black border is not the same for the games. Also, WiiWare Sudoku Challenge displays a black border too!!

Worst game to display black border is 'Professor Heinz Wolff's Gravity', border dimensions 4.5cms all around.

I tried the following but no success:

- changing the TV and Wii settings when using the component cable
- changing the TV and Wii settings when using the standard AV cable which comes with the console (this reduced the blackborder size by 50%)
- hooking up my Wii using both cables with a Samsung 22" LCD
- changing the cios version from cIOS38rev13b to cIOS36rev9
- changing the backup of the same game (i tried NTSC, PAL, NTSC converted to PAL, games with and without the update, scrubbed, 1:1 copies)
- using the same version of backup launcher but downloaded the wad file from a different source
- i tried different backup loaders (NeoGamma, Wii Backup Launcher) with different settings

and now I dunno what to do anymore! Before soft modding my Wii, the only games I had were Wii Sports, Wii Play and Zelda. None of which displayed a black border. After soft modding, these 3 games didnt show black borders either.

Here's the list of games which I tried and display a black border:

Wii Games
1. Anubis 2
2. Broken sword shadow of the templars
3. Cocoto Kart Racer
4. Disney Sing it High school musical 3
5. Dora the explorer - saves the snow princess
6. EA Sports Active
7. Family Ski & Snowboard
8. Funfair Party
9. Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
10. Hasbro Family Game Night
11. Jelly Belly ballistic beans
12. Madworld
13. Marbles Balance Challange
14. Metal Slug Anthology
15. My Vet Practice
16. Professor Heinz Wolff's Gravity
17. Rayman Raving Rabbits 2
18. Secret Files: Tunguska
19. The Dog Island
20. Worms a space oddity

WiiWare
1. Sudoku Challenge

I'm totally lost and it seems that it's just me with the problem.

kajl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
as far as I know this is not concerned with not buying the originals. if it was so, I wouldnt post. Beggers cant be choosers, and you cant have everything for free.

A guy posted somewhere on the net, saying that Madworld displays a black border. He had a legit copy...

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Part of that may be how the developers decided to handle the NTSC to PAL conversion.

Also make sure you're running proper PAL releases for your console as NTSC games user a lower resolution than PAL. Forcing a game to use a video mode out of it's region can occasionally cause problems like that.

D

Deleted User

wow suprising how you cought that i mean i would have just played the game if it ran lol haha

micahkanchan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
kajl said:
hi guys,

i just registered to this forums today but I've been browsing quite a number of threads which helped me softmod my Wii
smile.gif

anyway, I've got a silly problem which is really irritating me. I've googled a lot but what I came to no conclusion, hence why I'm writing here maybe I get some professional help.

to make things simpler enough, i've posted a video on youtube to demonstrate my problem. I'll be posting the video description here which describes my problem in detail for any convenience.

Please spend 5mins of your life watching the video and help me!
smile.gif

keep up the good work!

Video description:

My Wii display problem!

My specs:

Wii downgraded from v3.4E to v3.2E (all the backups of the games I tried are PAL)
Homebrew Channel v1.0.3
cIOS36rev9
Wiigator's backup launcher v0.3 gamma with #002 fix
24K gold plated component cables @ 480p 60hz
32" LG LCD (model: 32LG3000)

My problem is that a lot of Wii games (not all) are displaying this annoying black border all around. The size of this black border is not the same for the games. Also, WiiWare Sudoku Challenge displays a black border too!!

Worst game to display black border is 'Professor Heinz Wolff's Gravity', border dimensions 4.5cms all around.

I tried the following but no success:

- changing the TV and Wii settings when using the component cable
- changing the TV and Wii settings when using the standard AV cable which comes with the console (this reduced the blackborder size by 50%)
- hooking up my Wii using both cables with a Samsung 22" LCD
- changing the cios version from cIOS38rev13b to cIOS36rev9
- changing the backup of the same game (i tried NTSC, PAL, NTSC converted to PAL, games with and without the update, scrubbed, 1:1 copies)
- using the same version of backup launcher but downloaded the wad file from a different source
- i tried different backup loaders (NeoGamma, Wii Backup Launcher) with different settings

and now I dunno what to do anymore! Before soft modding my Wii, the only games I had were Wii Sports, Wii Play and Zelda. None of which displayed a black border. After soft modding, these 3 games didnt show black borders either.

Here's the list of games which I tried and display a black border:

Wii Games
1. Anubis 2
2. Broken sword shadow of the templars
3. Cocoto Kart Racer
4. Disney Sing it High school musical 3
5. Dora the explorer - saves the snow princess
6. EA Sports Active
7. Family Ski & Snowboard
8. Funfair Party
9. Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
10. Hasbro Family Game Night
11. Jelly Belly ballistic beans
12. Madworld
13. Marbles Balance Challange
14. Metal Slug Anthology
15. My Vet Practice
16. Professor Heinz Wolff's Gravity
17. Rayman Raving Rabbits 2
18. Secret Files: Tunguska
19. The Dog Island
20. Worms a space oddity

WiiWare
1. Sudoku Challenge

I'm totally lost and it seems that it's just me with the problem.
Lol..wow you went through a lot but thats how its going to be displayed. Obviously you are running hdtv 480p cables, and unfortunately most wii games do not support 480p, and run with borders. This is for everybody. The only reason why these people dont know what your talking about is because they have regular yellow white red cables, and 480i. don't worry friend. This is normal behaviour.

kajl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
thanks for the replies.

if anyone had tried some of these games and have black borders please tell me which games are displaying you a black border...

Maybe i'll put my mind to rest as what I'm thinking is, that I'm getting more black borders than any other Wii owner . thanks!

kajl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
Mine is 32" LG, model 32LG3000 . I tried also a Samsung 22" LCD.

Some games have a black border at the left and right side of the screen, and others Like professor heinz, i have 4.5cms of black border all around! :s

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...