Wii disk died, buy a new one, fix or get a WiiU?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by jimmery, Apr 21, 2013.

?

Which should I do?

1. Buy WiiU

24 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Send it in to Nintendo (90 bucks lol)

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Send it somewhere else for repair

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Repair it myself

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. Buy new/used Wii

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. jimmery
    OP

jimmery Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2013
    United States
    Hello all, just signed up here - my Wii disk drive just died and wont read disks anymore, so i was wondering what i should do.

I have a couple of options, fix it myself by getting a new lens, or a new disk drive, send it into Nintendo (i dont think they'll like what they find on it lol), sending it somewhere else to get repaired, buying a new/used wii, or getting a WiiU.

What do you think I should do? If i were to get a WiiU could i put HBC and stuff on it? Thanks for your help everyone!

2. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    I saw on another forum a Wii disc drive for $15 shipped. I'd just grab a new one, and a screwdriver and replace it.

If you got a Wii U you could homebrew the Wii mode of it yeah.

3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Just buy a Wii U. You can still install homebrews through the Wii channel last I checked, I haven't tested it myself since I don't want to.

4. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Yes you could put HBC on Wii U. The question you have to ask is, do you want a Wii U right now? An used Wii or replacement drive is much cheaper than Wii U.

5. ld0y

ld0y Ld0y

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2013
    United States
    New York
    Just buy a Wii U. It's my opinion but like I always say if your budget is not into a new console then just get a new disk drive I think they cost between $38 and $50 US dollars or get a Lents for $15.

6. tronic307

tronic307 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 7, 2002
    United States
    Get a drive on eBay.

7. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    softmod it and run all wii games off external hdd :)

8. geishroy

geishroy Suspended

Suspended
    Dec 10, 2008
    United States
    try to repair it yourself, if you break it oh well. i can find wii's on craigslist for under 40 right now =/

9. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    dya know i cant recall the last time i used the disc slot :) muhhaha But then if your already aware of the HBC then i guess you really need to ask yourself ... do you actually need the disc drive :)

air2004 likes this.
  10. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    just run modmii and be done with it

11. jimmery
    OP

jimmery Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2013
    United States
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I really appreciate it! Well I have a bunch of games I bought back in the day, thats when my laser saw the most use. I just popped in a game for the kicks and it didnt work lol. it just seems a bit of work to go find copies of all of them or back them up myself. I have cfg usb loader running on my wii, with homebrew and everything already on it.

I guess i could do a NAND backup then open up the wii and fiddle around, and if i bust it i can get a cheap Wii or a WiiU - I was thinking about waiting for a price break in the WiiU but worried they might patch something in the meantime.

12. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Honestly just replace the drive.

13. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    As your wii is hacked, sending it to nintendo would be a stupid move. They'll just send it back without repairing. Or "give" you a new wii while putting on a hefty charge. That's the disadvantage of softmodding: ninty won't touch it.

Personally, I don't really see what the problem is. It could very well be that my wii drive is broken for over a year...it's that long since I used it. All the loading was through USB. So...I've got to tell you that owning the physical copy doesn't make downloading a rom from the internet legal...but that's what I would do.

If you have to ask whether to buy a wiiu, then I'd say you don't really want one. Just because it can play everything the wii can isn't enough to warrant the extra cost. At least take a good look through the wiiu game section (both released and expected) and think how much you want those.

Leaving two options: repair it yourself or get a 'new' (second hand) one. I'd go for the last one (that's what I voted for), but that's mainly because of having a spare wii (remember: your first one isn't broken). That little console plays pretty much any retro game flawlessly, so it has some value to me. :)

14. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    My opinion - stick to USB loading. It costs you nothing.
    From the little I remember about fixing Wii drives, it's not difficult and not too expensive, so there's always that option.
    If you just want to leave your Wii behind, then I would get a WiiU over a replacement Wii. It has everything Wii has (except, you know, GC compatibility) and a few good games too so far (MH3U, NintendoLand, the Mario series, etc).

15. 2ndApex

2ndApex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    Definitely stick with USB loading. It's more convenient, the loading times are better, and you can run mods with it :)

16. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    USB loading!