Wii Discs aren't spinning up...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by crwys, Feb 1, 2010.

Feb 1, 2010

Wii Discs aren't spinning up... by crwys at 3:46 AM (1,137 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. crwys
    OP

Member crwys GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Ok so I have 2 Wiis.
    The first Wii spins up discs just fine.
    The second Wii does not.
    I opened both of them and swapped the motors that spins up the discs. But I still get the same result with both Wiis. Something just isn't right....
    Any ideas?

2. Christopho

Member Christopho GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Still have warranty on it? If so, return it and save all the trouble =D

Alright not very helpful so, here are some real questions:

What year did you buy it?

By discs do you mean backup discs or regular?

Did you buy it from some pawn shop or a retail store?

Did you swap the entire DVD drive, do you even know what mechanism spins the disc, because you could just be swapping something you THINK spins it and therefore you think that it is the 2nd wii that has the problem and not something else. I'm guessing it's your laser....

Hope I helped ^^

3. crwys
    OP

Member crwys GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Its a launch day Wii.
    Both regular Gamecube discs and Wii discs.
    Retail store.
    I looked online to see what spinned the discs and replaced the two, I thinks its the laser too though. =(
    But the Wii has never been opened until now.

Warranty is long over due =(
    I am thinking about just buying a new DVD drive for the it, but they cost just as much as it would to send it in to Nintendo. Any idea where I can buy a cheap Wii DVD drive?

4. Christopho

Member Christopho GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Lolz it's funny you're still on this thread, I never had a the thread starter here while I was posting xD Anyway, I would try Ebay (you have no idea how many cheap things are there!!! I recently got a ps2 slim 7xxxx model, yay FCMB compatible XD, for only $50 =D This included the controllers/cables) and if that doesn't work then post in the buy/sell/trade topic at wiihacks.com.

Above would be the legitimate path, have you considered using a USB Loader instead? It doesn't rely on the Wii disk drive AT ALL. It's a better solution vs. disc loading with backup launchers, and you don't open up your wii!!! I got my 250 gb (I have 70+ games with 60 gb still left) for $50. I would recommend getting a 50gb or even a 16 gb hdd, if you're short on money because after you're done playing with the game you can just delete it off your hdd then copy over another game. Just make sure the hdd you get is compatible with the Wii and I recommend the USB Loader GX if you're going to use a USB loader.

Hope I helped ^^