Hacking Wii Disc Updates Question

personager

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a few questions about the updates the Wii asks for when you insert some games in the Wii and try to run them.

1. I've heard that updating the System Menu from a game that is from another region; 'semi-bricks' you Wii. But the update that
that I'm being asked from the disc is to install the needed IOS(s) needed to run the game not update the system menu (I'm already on 4.0E). Will me updating from a different region game 'semi-brick' my Wii?

2. If I burn a game from my own region and insert it and the game ask for the same update that is stated in question 1, can the update effect my Wii because the game is not original?

Any answers and opinions are greatly appreciated
Thanks.

personager

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I accepted the update that my original version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl was asking for and everything went smoothly. I also have a burned PAL (my own region) version of Okami and a original NTSC (not my region) version of Super Mario Galaxy. Both of them are asking for the same type of update SSBB was asking for. Since one of them is burned and one of them is not from my region, I am reluctant to accept the update.

If you my question is confusing you/not clear enough, please feel free to ask me to re-phrase it

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
personager

1. I've heard that updating the System Menu from a game that is from another region; 'semi-bricks' you Wii. But the update that
that I'm being asked from the disc is to install the needed IOS(s) needed to run the game not update the system menu (I'm already on 4.0E). Will me updating from a different region game 'semi-brick' my Wii?

It will not semi-brick your Wii, but the most probable thing, is that it is going to install bug-fixed IOSes and it is going to duplicate the news-weather-photo channels (I mean install another ones from the region of the disc), it is better to use WUFE to extract the update partition of the disc and then use Wad Manager to install the requiered IOS

2. If I burn a game from my own region and insert it and the game ask for the same update that is stated in question 1, can the update effect my Wii because the game is not original?
Well the only thing it is going to do is install the bug-fixed IOSes and install the IOS it needs, that is all, not afecting really cause you will still can use HBC and if you have a cIOS is reversible...!!
smile.gif

Posts merged

personager said:
I accepted the update that my original version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl was asking for and everything went smoothly. I also have a burned PAL (my own region) version of Okami and a original NTSC (not my region) version of Super Mario Galaxy. Both of them are asking for the same type of update SSBB was asking for. Since one of them is burned and one of them is not from my region, I am reluctant to accept the update.

If you my question is confusing you/not clear enough, please feel free to ask me to re-phrase it

When it is an old game and you have the latest FW, it just install the IOS you lack of, in this case it was IOS36 (the one for SSBB)..!!
smile.gif

personager

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically, updating from a burned game of the same region has pratically no chance of affecting your Wii in anyway but updating from the different region game will duplicate the News and Forecast Channel but other than that, not affect your Wii. Am I right?

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I would recommend you using Preloader to block disc updates. If a game doesn't start without the update you can disable the hack any time.

And yes, you're right. The only chance is, if it installs a newer System Menu. This will most likely result in a brick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.