Hacking Wii Disc Drive

M1r0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm just trying to confirm what I think I know....

So, I've always thought my Wii had a D3 or D3-2 or one of those new drives, because I thought I had gotten it pretty recently. But today, I decided to check my Wii's Serial Number, and it told me that there is a 50% chance I have: D2C2 and a 50% chance that I have D2E. So, do I have to use a modchip on these drives to play wii backups? And can I load media from WiiMC or DVDX? Because, I thought you could do that with any drive besides D3-2 or D3. Can anyone tell me if I am right?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
M1r0 said:
How about movies? And do you know specifically about the two drives I mentioned?
You only need to know if it's a D2 drive, then you can play everything, movies, wii backups, gamecube backups, ... If you have a D3 drive then you can play wii and gamecube retail games, that's it. This is everything you need to know.

M1r0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you.... One other question though... If I restore trucha bug on my wii using TBR, can I play trucha signed backups from disc channel, or do I have to have cIOSCorp Installed?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
M1r0 said:
Thank you.... One other question though... If I restore trucha bug on my wii using TBR, can I play trucha signed backups from disc channel, or do I have to have cIOSCorp Installed?
If you want to play from disc channel you should use priiloader to force games and system menu to use IOS249.

M1r0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks
smile.gif
, and I'm assuming I will be able to run trucha signed?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
M1r0 said:
And what's th risk?
There is no high risk, it would be a high risk to install cioscorp or darkcorp. The discs don't need to be trucha signed, it will work fine. Simply make sure IOS249 is installed.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
M1r0 said:
Fix94: But it's not just that I want to play backup discs, I want trucha bug also...
Oh, you need to softmod your wii first
laugh.gif
Look in the stickys for ModMii and softmod your wii before you are going to do something, ok?

M1r0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? I have softmodded my wii...? Why else would I have 335 posts all in the Wii Discussion section and not have softmodded my wii... Also, strange, it appears my system menu IOS is trucha bugged even though I never patched it to be so..

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
M1r0 said:
What? I have softmodded my wii...? Why else would I have 335 posts all in the Wii Discussion section and not have softmodded my wii... Also, strange, it appears my system menu IOS is trucha bugged even though I never patched it to be so..
But if you have 335 posts then you should know what the trucha bug is. If you have a softmod then you have also did the trucha bug, you also should have the homebrew channel and maybe IOS222 or IOS249, maybe also IOS236. Then you don't need anything else, simply install priiloader, force to IOS249 and play your games from the disc channel! To the trucha bug again:
It's not enough to have the trucha bug in order to play backups. You also need a DIP patch like the DIP patch in IOS249 and IOS222. This is the reason why you need to force the system menu and the games to use IOS249, otherwise the disc wouldn't work.

M1r0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that... but how do you know that I have IOS249 or IOS222 installed. I actually don't have IOS's installed to either of those slots... Thank you anyways, because I am not very knowledgeable about Wii Hardware, or Disc Drive compatibility.

flo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
So..if you install CIOS 249 then you enable that setting in Priiloader you can play backup discs from Disc Channel ? That's a quite minimal softmod
smile.gif

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
flo said:
So..if you install CIOS 249 then you enable that setting in Priiloader you can play backup discs from Disc Channel ? That's a quite minimal softmod
smile.gif
If you have a D2 or older drive then yes, you can play from disc channel. For a huge compatility you should use a base like IOS56.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
FIX94 said:
flo said:
smile.gif
If you have a D2 or older drive then yes, you can play from disc channel. For a huge compatility you should use a base like IOS56.
For the last time: DON'T DO THIS, and please stop posting it, until you can confirm that it actually works (because it shouldn't)! There are many reasons why nobody does this, first of all, the System Menu will throw Errors at you, because it wasn't made to run of the cIOS (and the cIOS wasn't made to run the System Menu). Also, since the Error#002 doesn't get corrected by the cIOS anymore (afaik), it shouldn't work at all with any game released since NfS:Underground.

So just use NeoGamma, you can Autoboot it with Priiloader if you want. Oh, and have a look at USB-Loading, much cheaper and faster.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Blue-K said:
For the last time: DON'T DO THIS
If you say this then OK, thanks for the suggestion, I will try it out and see what happens, I heard that it should work fine without problems, but I will see.
edit: OK I tried it out now and you're right with the game compatility, older games like brawl or mario kart wii are working fine, but newer games like NSMBW are simply giving black screen. The system menu is very stable for me, no errors, retail games are working, all my VC and wiiware channels are working, channel copy, delete, save copy, delete, starting channels from SD or SDHC, everything works fine. But OK, neogamma is much better for backups then, sorry
frown.gif

M1r0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is it that people can load backups with cIOSCorp then? Do they have this problem too? I haven't hgot any errors from patching Sysmenu to my slot 248 base 57 cIOS.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
M1r0 said:
How is it that people can load backups with cIOSCorp then? Do they have this problem too? I haven't hgot any errors from patching Sysmenu to my slot 248 base 57 cIOS.
cIOSCORP works different, it basicly makes nearly every IOS (with some exceptions to make Homebrew/etc. work) on the Wii to a cIOS. So every game gets the IOS it requests, can reload it, etc., since all IOS are patched. IMO, it's a messy and dangerous method, but it does the job. If you want to do this (which I wouldn't recommend), search for Darkcorp, it's the newer version of cIOSCORP.

As for the menu, nice that it seems to work fine for both of you, but I still wouldn't recommend it, as there's no advantage (and Errors may still occur at some time).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.