Wii Detects SD Card but homebrew isn't picking up apps.

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Dexamasama, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Dexamasama
    OP

Dexamasama Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2017
    United States
    So I formatted multiple SD Cards, trying to get this to work. /apps/nintendont/meta.xml, boot.dol. I don;t know how to fix that, should I use a usb drive? If so, please teach me how!

2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    You mean the Homebrew Channel? If it doesn't see the apps on SD it's partitioned/formatted incorrectly or the card is incompatible. HBC requires the card be MBR with FAT32 filesystem.

3. Dexamasama
    OP

Dexamasama Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2017
    United States
    It's FAT32 and i've used this SD beforeI don't know why it isn't working now

4. Mr.Faq2015

Mr.Faq2015 /ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/

Oct 24, 2015
    Argentina
    Rhizome 9
    check if you can access the sd card through conventional methods (open the sd card menu, see if you can transfer channels or savedata to it, etc.). The sd card reader might not be reading the sd card properly (it happened to me several times)

5. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2013
    I too would recommend to change the adapter you use to put it on the Wii; as I remember having problems with Homebrew Channel not picking up an old SD card time ago, and in the end all those issues were because of the adapter. The way your Wii knows there's an SD but HBC ignores it reminds me of what I was experiencing.

That's why I keep a couple of them around just in case (Although I haven't changed my adapter in a looong time).

Also, in my experience, it's best to just remove or insert the SD card while the system is turned off, as putting the SD card while on HBC does not load the applications automatically for me (I don't know if this is intended behavior or not, or if there's a way to make HBC to look for the SD after it has been inserted).

6. WilliamTheKingAS

WilliamTheKingAS Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2017
    United States
    Appomattox
    One day the same thing happened to mine. Just because you can see the wii read it doesn't mean it's readable. You can check if it works by going to the sd card menu, and are if it reads it. If you want to be sure, check data management of the sdcard, and are if that's readable

7. niuus

niuus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2016
    Venezuela
    Just wanted to chime in, i tend to do hot swapping a lot inside HBC while testing my compilations, no problems at all detecting the apps again.

MaeseJesus and Sticksandstones like this.
  8. Sticksandstones

Sticksandstones GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    United States
    This.

When I remove my SD card, the apps displayed on HBC disappear and then HBC shows my USB drive's apps. In your case, Dexamasama, you may be seeing nothing because there's nothing on your USB, or nothing else for HBC to read apps from. After you've re-inserted your SD card, HBC won't switch itself back to viewing your apps that are on your SD card, so you'll have to Press 1 (or X on GC controller) to bring up the menu and then select "SD card" from the menu, in order to make them visible again.

niuus and MaeseJesus like this.
  9. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2013
    ... Weird, I remember having that "issue" for quite a while... But alas, after reading your message; I tried again, you're right. Removing my SD and inserting it again it loads automatically. It happened to me mostly when I enter HBC without an SD inserted, and seeing Sticksandstones message, I think that's what was going on.

So thanks to both for clearing that for me.

Sticksandstones likes this.