Wii deleted all system settings, messages, friends, etc.

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by metron, May 27, 2009.

1. metron
    OP

metron GBAtemp Regular

Sep 10, 2008
    United States
    Nebraska, USA
    So I unplugged my Wii to move it to another room in the house. and when I plugged it back in I had to put in all the system settings and it had deleted EVERYTHING but my game data. This only happens when I unplug it, so I was wondering if maybe the internal battery died? I dont have any homebrew/mod installed on it. just a plain old wii. My warenty has expired so I really dont want to send it in.

2. ether2802

ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Former Staff
    Oct 14, 2007
    Mexico
    Pto. Vallarta
    I'll say is the battery..!! [​IMG]

3. SublimeAndEtc

SublimeAndEtc GBAtemp Regular

Apr 22, 2009
    United States
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Definitely sounds like you have a dead battery, but that's kinda odd.... Wii's aren't that old.

4. mrgone

mrgone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    Gambia, The
    flash memory inside should hold data without battery, right ?

5. rctgamer3

rctgamer3 GBAtemp Regular

May 5, 2008
    Netherlands
    There is a cover on the bottom of your wii, just unscrew it, and replace the battery [​IMG]

6. Vattu

Vattu GBAtemp Regular

May 27, 2009
    Sweden
    that's correct. but just like the motherboard of a PC, the wii has a small battery for storing some information. I keep my wii unplugged for weeks sometimes, but haven't noticed any data loss. probably because I don't use any of the data [​IMG] at boot-up, my wii boots through bootmii and preloader to go directly to an usb loader.