Wii.dat project: expand titles.txt, expand your GUI

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by zorglub07, Apr 17, 2009.

?

What do you think about this project?

1. It's a great project, I will help!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It's useless and overcomplicated!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Is it compatible with Coby SD?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. what exactly is titles.txt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. zorglub07
    OP

Member zorglub07 GBAtemp Fan

France
    Ask yourself, if Nintendo was to made a HD storage menu for Wii games (and it was not channel based), how would it look... like the Wii Shop maybe?

In a not too distant future when Wii will be an emulated system, it will be managed on PC with the same tools used for MAME and other emulators.
    We could start now with the USB Loaders, and the same file could be used by emulator front-ends later.

The idea of titles.txt http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=148687 is basically the first step of building such a database, and the next logical step is to expand it to a .dat file in XML or .csv format.
    It can start as .csv because it's easy to edit for anyone with notepad and could be stored on the Wiki, and then can be converted to XML later if needed.

My idea about regional covers (having a single pack of covers including all languages variants by adding a simple language tag in filenames) is about the same principle of having a richer experience for everyone, instead of everyone having a special "French pack", "German pack", or every new user renaming his games just for himself on WBFS.
    Together we will have more fun with "wewanttoplay.dat".

No one will really have to manage this database if it's accessible as a Wiki,
    and the idea is not incompatible with an update feature from USB Loaders, it may be possible to download it directly from GBAtemp's Wiki page [​IMG]

No USB Loader mod author is forced to support the database fully from the start, supporting .csv format instead of the current titles.txt would only be a matter of changing the delimiter to ";" instead of " = " and use the first column (english title).

There already is an offlinelist XML for Wii made by PsyKos http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=53203 but it doesn't seem to contain Game ID, maybe it can be merged or used as a better starting point.

Benefits:

- see information about games in USB Loaders such as:
    Game ID
    official titles including all localized titles in German, French, Spanish, Italian and Dutch, the displayed title (and cover) could change depending on user setting for a game
    checksum of .iso in MD5 or CRC
    checksum on WBFS, could be used to verify installed games on the Wii
    date of release
    publisher
    age rating
    number of players
    accessories: wiimote/wiimote+nunchuck/balance board/motion plus. avoid plug-the-nunchuck nag screens
    short controls list: fire with A, jump with B
    short description

* User settings such as parental block belong to the auto-save file or in another file linked to the titles.txt database by game ID, not directly in the database
    the database would store any required information about a game, setting.cfg would only store personal preferences (custom title that overrides official proper title,language,video mode,star rating)

example in .csv format
    ID;title_EN;title_FR;title_DE;title_ES:title_IT;title_NL;MD5 or CRC;date;publisher;age rating;players;nunchuck;balance board;motionplus
    RENP;Sonic And The Black Knight;Sonic et le Chevalier Noir;Sonic und der Schwarze Ritter;Sonic y el Caballero Negro;...;...;db5d9791019e23f1e1677255fab612b8;2009;Sega;12;4;Y;N;N

All opinions are welcome [​IMG]

- Lustar

2. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    I had to vote Coby SD.

I'm sorry.

3. Anarchia

Newcomer Anarchia Advanced Member

Italy
    It would be very interesting if in this files you would add parentalcontrol opsion for usb loader...

4. ttabbal

Newcomer ttabbal Newbie

United States
    I think this sounds like a good idea. I would lean more toward XML as it's easier to deal with when editing by hand once you get more than a few fields. It can also be verified with many tools and editors with XSDs, which are easy to create.

Quick pass at a simple XML of your CSV example...

CODE
    ÂÂÂÂRENP
    ÂÂÂÂ
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂSonic And The Black Knight
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂSonic et le Chevalier Noir
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂSonic und der Schwarze Ritter
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂSonic y el Caballero Negro
    ÂÂÂÂ
    ÂÂÂÂdb5d9791019e23f1e1677255fab612b8
    ÂÂÂÂ2009
    ÂÂÂÂ12
    ÂÂÂÂ4
    ÂÂÂÂ
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂNunchuck
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂBalanceBoard
    ÂÂÂÂ

Thoughts.....

Does the checksum change per region?
    Should probably add a region tag in there...
    Video type tag? NTSC/PAL
    Multiple rating types for ESRB and such?
    Description?
    Cover image in base64?

Nice idea. It would be awesome to have a nice standard format. Then the loaders could auto-update it as needed.

5. zorglub07
    OP

France
    XML is clearly superior, I mentioned .csv as a fast solution to implement to avoid scaring off devs, but if it's possible to have an XML online that anyone can contribute to, let's do it! [​IMG] is there a XML library for Wii?
    I didn't think about region because this info is already read from the game by the Loader, but it wouldn't hurt and sounds natural to add.
    about ratings, as a European I thought about PEGI 3+ 7+ 12+ 16+ 18+, but it's only a matter of an extra field so sure, why not add ESRB so that users can sort by the rating they are used to.
    short description, tag line or official description would be nice, any of that.
    The only thing I'm not sure is embedding cover images as base64, wouldn't it make the database too big? and maybe not flexible enough to update an image.

6. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    And..??? is it compatible with Coby SD 512mb without any kind of external device of mexican fixing..?? [​IMG]

7. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    It's both sad and hilarious that the Coby SD is the second most popular choice.

8. hilo

Newcomer hilo Advanced Member

France
    tres bon projets a travailler merci pour ton idée

9. mikeyt1998

Member mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

United Kingdom
    hmm... I feel stupid at not knowing why coby SD is special when i should...

anyone care to explain? thanks lol

Posts merged

hmm... I feel stupid at not knowing why coby SD is special when i should...

anyone care to explain? thanks lol

10. snikerz

Member snikerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Liechtenstein
    And it's your fault [​IMG]
    By the way, i love OP's idea. But I had to vote for the Coby SD card choice [​IMG]

11. DiabolicalKid

Newcomer DiabolicalKid Member

United States

you not alone, what is coby SD

12. spliffdizzle

Newcomer spliffdizzle Member

United States
  13. zorglub07
    OP

France
    I got XML working with Configurable USB Loader [​IMG]

I used the mini-XML (MXML) library that was ported to Wii (found on Wiibrew),
    It loads official titles from wii_games.xml, custom user titles from titles_custom.txt, and displays game info at the bottom of the list.
    For now it's text, but it could be nice icons under the game cover...

titles_custom.txt:
    all proper titles and info would be loaded from wii_games.xml, then if someone prefers "Kororinpa 2: Marbles! Balance Challenge" instead of "Marbles! Balance Challenge", it's possible, and may avoid people fighting to rename a game on the wiki.
    titles_custom.txt overrides official names with custom names.

I converted titles.txt to wii_games.xml, it looks like the following example.
    This is a preliminary draft, some elements could be removed and some added : available languages, wii speak, dance pad, instrument

accessories could be grouped in a string with a code like NM for nunchuck+motionplus but it may not be as explicit for anyone to edit.
    maybe only one of pegi/esrb is needed, and the other can be guessed from the first.

RENP
    Sonic And The Black Knight
    Sonic und der Schwarze Ritter
    Sonic y el Caballero Negro
    Sonic et le Chevalier Noir

Sonikku to Ankoku no Kishi

14. Don Killah

Member Don Killah GBAtemp Maniac

France
    thanks for explaining the Coby issue.
    voted for the 1st answer, i'd be glad to help.

15. Screemer

Member Screemer GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    i really like this idea because it could enhance the functionality of the loaders a lot.

a online database for all the informations would be great or at least a little gui to enter the information in a text-bases db.

16. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    I think this is a pretty good idea, but isn't it a bit redundant downloading a database of 500+ games when you only have 20 on your hard drive? We're not all pirates [​IMG] I also think if you're going to do it, have it as XML from the start. Otherwise you're just messing developers around by changing it later.

Not sure who mentioned base64 encoding the images, but remember the average increase in length over binary is 30-40%

17. AlexDP

Member AlexDP GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    As you might have noticed, WBFS Manager 2.5 supports CSV exporting of game lists. Having read through your idea, I'm definitely willing to provide support for this idea in the next version of WBFS Manager (3.0) whether it's CSV files or XML (preferable) files. By support I mean using the XML files as input for copying over to WBFS drives as well as generating the XML from someone's WBFS drive (so they can just export it and post it quickly).
    XML files are obviously preferable and I agree with McHaggis, the XML document layout needs to be nice and clean and most importantly standard and unified.

18. oggzee

Member oggzee GBAtemp Addict

Slovenia
    Sounds good.
    If this takes off, I will include it in a future release of cfg usb loader.

19. biggzsizzle

Newcomer biggzsizzle Advanced Member

United States
  20. carbonyle

Member carbonyle GBAtemp Fan

Switzerland
    This joke is one of the best from gbatemp...
    So I voted Coby SD too and sorry if the poll goes wrong because of a joke [​IMG]