zorglub07

OP
Trophies
Website
gametdb.com
XP
Country
France
Ask yourself, if Nintendo was to made a HD storage menu for Wii games (and it was not channel based), how would it look... like the Wii Shop maybe?

In a not too distant future when Wii will be an emulated system, it will be managed on PC with the same tools used for MAME and other emulators.
We could start now with the USB Loaders, and the same file could be used by emulator front-ends later.

The idea of titles.txt http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=148687 is basically the first step of building such a database, and the next logical step is to expand it to a .dat file in XML or .csv format.
It can start as .csv because it's easy to edit for anyone with notepad and could be stored on the Wiki, and then can be converted to XML later if needed.

My idea about regional covers (having a single pack of covers including all languages variants by adding a simple language tag in filenames) is about the same principle of having a richer experience for everyone, instead of everyone having a special "French pack", "German pack", or every new user renaming his games just for himself on WBFS.
Together we will have more fun with "wewanttoplay.dat".

No one will really have to manage this database if it's accessible as a Wiki,
and the idea is not incompatible with an update feature from USB Loaders, it may be possible to download it directly from GBAtemp's Wiki page
wink.gif

No USB Loader mod author is forced to support the database fully from the start, supporting .csv format instead of the current titles.txt would only be a matter of changing the delimiter to ";" instead of " = " and use the first column (english title).

There already is an offlinelist XML for Wii made by PsyKos http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=53203 but it doesn't seem to contain Game ID, maybe it can be merged or used as a better starting point.

Benefits:

- see information about games in USB Loaders such as:
Game ID
official titles including all localized titles in German, French, Spanish, Italian and Dutch, the displayed title (and cover) could change depending on user setting for a game
checksum of .iso in MD5 or CRC
checksum on WBFS, could be used to verify installed games on the Wii
date of release
publisher
age rating
number of players
accessories: wiimote/wiimote+nunchuck/balance board/motion plus. avoid plug-the-nunchuck nag screens
short controls list: fire with A, jump with B
short description

* User settings such as parental block belong to the auto-save file or in another file linked to the titles.txt database by game ID, not directly in the database
the database would store any required information about a game, setting.cfg would only store personal preferences (custom title that overrides official proper title,language,video mode,star rating)

example in .csv format
ID;title_EN;title_FR;title_DE;title_ES:title_IT;title_NL;MD5 or CRC;date;publisher;age rating;players;nunchuck;balance board;motionplus
RENP;Sonic And The Black Knight;Sonic et le Chevalier Noir;Sonic und der Schwarze Ritter;Sonic y el Caballero n****;...;...;db5d9791019e23f1e1677255fab612b8;2009;Sega;12;4;Y;N;N

All opinions are welcome
smile.gif

- Lustar

ttabbal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this sounds like a good idea. I would lean more toward XML as it's easier to deal with when editing by hand once you get more than a few fields. It can also be verified with many tools and editors with XSDs, which are easy to create.

Quick pass at a simple XML of your CSV example...

CODE
ÂÂÂÂRENP
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂSonic And The Black Knight
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂSonic et le Chevalier Noir
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂSonic und der Schwarze Ritter
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂSonic y el Caballero n****
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂdb5d9791019e23f1e1677255fab612b8
ÂÂÂÂ2009
ÂÂÂÂ12
ÂÂÂÂ4
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂNunchuck
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂBalanceBoard
ÂÂÂÂ

Thoughts.....

Does the checksum change per region?
Should probably add a region tag in there...
Video type tag? NTSC/PAL
Multiple rating types for ESRB and such?
Description?
Cover image in base64?

Nice idea. It would be awesome to have a nice standard format. Then the loaders could auto-update it as needed.

zorglub07

OP
Trophies
Website
gametdb.com
XP
Country
France
Arm the Homeless said:
I had to vote Coby SD.
I'm sorry.
laugh.gif

Anarchia said:
It would be very interesting if in this files you would add parentalcontrol opsion for usb loader...Since "age rating" would be included, there could be an option in USB Loaders to block all games rated 16+ for example, and the setting would be saved in a user settings file. I think "age rating" belongs to such a database, but parental control is a user setting so it should be saved in another file by the loader.

QUOTE(ttabbal @ Apr 17 2009, 06:24 PM)
Does the checksum change per region?
Should probably add a region tag in there...
Video type tag? NTSC/PAL
Multiple rating types for ESRB and such?
Description?
Cover image in base64?
XML is clearly superior, I mentioned .csv as a fast solution to implement to avoid scaring off devs, but if it's possible to have an XML online that anyone can contribute to, let's do it!
smile.gif
is there a XML library for Wii?
I didn't think about region because this info is already read from the game by the Loader, but it wouldn't hurt and sounds natural to add.
about ratings, as a European I thought about PEGI 3+ 7+ 12+ 16+ 18+, but it's only a matter of an extra field so sure, why not add ESRB so that users can sort by the rating they are used to.
short description, tag line or official description would be nice, any of that.
The only thing I'm not sure is embedding cover images as base64, wouldn't it make the database too big? and maybe not flexible enough to update an image.

DiabolicalKid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mikeyt1998 said:
hmm... I feel stupid at not knowing why coby SD is special when i should...

anyone care to explain? thanks lol

Posts merged

hmm... I feel stupid at not knowing why coby SD is special when i should...

anyone care to explain? thanks lol

you not alone, what is coby SD

zorglub07

OP
Trophies
Website
gametdb.com
XP
Country
France
I got XML working with Configurable USB Loader
smile.gif

I used the mini-XML (MXML) library that was ported to Wii (found on Wiibrew),
It loads official titles from wii_games.xml, custom user titles from titles_custom.txt, and displays game info at the bottom of the list.
For now it's text, but it could be nice icons under the game cover...

titles_custom.txt:
all proper titles and info would be loaded from wii_games.xml, then if someone prefers "Kororinpa 2: Marbles! Balance Challenge" instead of "Marbles! Balance Challenge", it's possible, and may avoid people fighting to rename a game on the wiki.
titles_custom.txt overrides official names with custom names.

I converted titles.txt to wii_games.xml, it looks like the following example.
This is a preliminary draft, some elements could be removed and some added : available languages, wii speak, dance pad, instrument

accessories could be grouped in a string with a code like NM for nunchuck+motionplus but it may not be as explicit for anyone to edit.
maybe only one of pegi/esrb is needed, and the other can be guessed from the first.

RENP
Sonic And The Black Knight
Sonic und der Schwarze Ritter
Sonic y el Caballero n****
Sonic et le Chevalier Noir

Sonikku to Ankoku no Kishi

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i really like this idea because it could enhance the functionality of the loaders a lot.

a online database for all the informations would be great or at least a little gui to enter the information in a text-bases db.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I think this is a pretty good idea, but isn't it a bit redundant downloading a database of 500+ games when you only have 20 on your hard drive? We're not all pirates
wink.gif
I also think if you're going to do it, have it as XML from the start. Otherwise you're just messing developers around by changing it later.

Not sure who mentioned base64 encoding the images, but remember the average increase in length over binary is 30-40%

zorglub07 said:
RENP
Sonic And The Black Knight
Sonic und der Schwarze Ritter
Sonic y el Caballero n****
Sonic et le Chevalier Noir

Sonikku to Ankoku no Kishi

AlexDP

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As you might have noticed, WBFS Manager 2.5 supports CSV exporting of game lists. Having read through your idea, I'm definitely willing to provide support for this idea in the next version of WBFS Manager (3.0) whether it's CSV files or XML (preferable) files. By support I mean using the XML files as input for copying over to WBFS drives as well as generating the XML from someone's WBFS drive (so they can just export it and post it quickly).
XML files are obviously preferable and I agree with McHaggis, the XML document layout needs to be nice and clean and most importantly standard and unified.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM