Hacking Wii crashes with a code dump

electreffect

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a relatively new Wii that I've been playing with for a few months now, and after a number of crashes (most notably when I overfilled my USB harddrive) I've got a Wii with some problems. The first thing I noticed was that the hand icon in the main menu was "jumpy". It seemed to skip around, not smooth at all. Now I get crashes that result in a code dump whenever I use any homebrew apps, although USBLoader GX still lets me run games without crashing.

I'll post my syscheck report. I've got 13 stubs, including ios 3, 4, and 10. Looking over the modMii page, those don't appear to be available. I know I need to replace the stubs, but i'm not sure where to go next.

I have priiLoader installed, and i do have a couple of nand backups.

sysCheck v2.1.0b5 by Double_A
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Homebrew Channel 1.0.8 running on IOS58
Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 92799170
Boot2 v4
Found 120 titles.
Found 48 IOS on this console. 13 of them are stub.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): No Patches
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 6944): No Patches
IOS202[38] (rev 4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, USB 2.0
IOS222[38] (rev 4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, USB 2.0
IOS223[38] (rev 4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, USB 2.0
IOS236[36] (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS249[38] (rev 17): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10

Report generated on 2011/05/31.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The hand icon being jumpy is usually due to the fact you are to close to your screen, or the fact that the sensor bar setup is not done properly.
Sometimes intense sunlight coming from a site can disturb it's functionning as well.
You could look at your sensor bar with the camera of a cellphone to see if the led's in it are still working fine.
Most of those camera's are sensitive to infrared light as well. You should see 4 or 5 lightspots on each side of the sensor bar.
Have you tried another remote already? Does it show the same behavour?

The panic's in your homebrew program's won't dissapear with the install of new iosses.
Most recent homebrew programs launched with the homebrew channel only use ios58 as that one is having USB 2.0 EHCI support.
In order to know what is wrong, we need to know what homebrew is giving you issues, and on what occasions. Is there something
you can do that triggers the Panic, or does it appear randomly? How do you launch it? (Forwarder, Channel or the HBC)

Usbloaders use the Hermes Cios 202, 222, 223 and 224 or the Waninkoko cios 248, 249, 250. The latest Hermes Cios are rev. 5, and the latest
Waninkoko are rev. 21 d2x. You need an "up to date" usbloader as well to work with those versions. Upgrading those cios is usefull if you have compatibility problems with games. If you use usbloader_gx to launch your homebrew, the homebrew might use the cios as well instead of ios 58.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Lot of applications launched from HBC will crash if your wii is not connected to network, because of an HBC bug.
Solution is to edit the meta.xml file associated to these applications and fremove the line in order to force IOS reload by HBC.

As said above, installed IOS are rarely the cause of codedump in applications, reinstalling them sure won't fix the issue.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
All those stubs don't matter. At all the time, there's only one IOS or cIOS running on the Wii, and all other IOS/cIOS don't matter. If an IOS stub would be running, you wouldn't even get a code dump, the wii would just do nothing. And HBC uses IOS58 or 61 if they were available at the time you installed HBC, and the same IOS is used to boot all homebrew. And then the hombrew loads an IOS of its choice, which is IOS249, IOS36 or an IOS selection menu for almost everything.

Jacobeian said:
Lot of applications launched from HBC will crash if your wii is not connected to network, because of an HBC bug.
Solution is to edit the meta.xml file associated to these applications and fremove the line in order to force IOS reload by HBC.

As said above, installed IOS are rarely the cause of codedump in applications, reinstalling them sure won't fix the issue.

Hmm, my wii has no internet connections set up and NeoGamma uses the no ios reload tag. Could it be that it's related to having a connection set up, but no network available. And/or the app uses network itself?

electreffect

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The crashes appear randomly when I use HBC, nes and snes emulators, syscheck, WiiMC. The program may run fine for a little while, or might crash right away upon loading, it all seems random.

My system was working fine until I overloaded my hard drive, that's when the problems started, so I don't think it's a compatability issue. Everything was compatable for a couple of months, I didn't update or change anything other than adding new games to my USB drive.

My Wii is conected to a network all the time. and even syscheck crashed on me while I was reading the report on the screen, so my guess is it's not a networking issue.

Back to the jumpy hand icon, the hand would be jumpy on the wii menu, but as smooth as can be once I launced USB loader GX. I was at the same distance from the screen with the same lighting conditions.

Is it possible my menu system is corrupted? and how might I check?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
Hmm, my wii has no internet connections set up and NeoGamma uses the no ios reload tag. Could it be that it's related to having a connection set up, but no network available. And/or the app uses network itself?
You have to have valid internet settings, but that's it. You don't need to be connected to the internet.

@OP: Interference is the most common cause of a "jumpy" cursor. Turn off all the lights and close the blinds on windows, then see if the problem continues. If it works fine that way, turn lights on and open the blinds one by one to see which one is causing the problem. You should also try turning the remote so that the cursor would be upside down while on the System Menu. If the hand stays right-side up, your accelerometer is probably messed up. Go here for instructions on how to fix that, as well as other possible causes.

electreffect

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I just added the jumpy cursor info as a possible piece to the puzzle, it's not my main concern. My problem is that my Wii code dumps within 5 min. or so of starting HBC, nes and snes emulators, syscheck, and WiiMC. All of those apps worked flawlessly until I overloaded my hard drive, now they crash without fail. The Netflix channel and USB loader GX both still work fine.

If reloading the stub IOSs wont fix it, what might my next option be?

(the hand icon turns when i turn the wiimote, and I've used a few different ones)

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
electreffect said:
Honestly, I just added the jumpy cursor info as a possible piece to the puzzle, it's not my main concern. My problem is that my Wii code dumps within 5 min. or so of starting HBC, nes and snes emulators, syscheck, and WiiMC. All of those apps worked flawlessly until I overloaded my hard drive, now they crash without fail. The Netflix channel and USB loader GX both still work fine.

If reloading the stub IOSs wont fix it, what might my next option be?

(the hand icon turns when i turn the wiimote, and I've used a few different ones)
What happens if you remove the HDD and run stuff off an SD card? Also, what do you mean by you "overloaded" your HDD?

electreffect

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran syscheck off my sd card and it dumped while I was reading the report onscreen. The rest of the dumps were when I was using the apps on my HDD.

I was loading games from the original disks into USB Loader GX, and didn't pay close enough attention to how much disc space I had left. My Wii froze in the middle of loading a game when the HDD ran out of space. It just locked up with the blue light around the disc drive still on like when it's loading a game. The screen was frozen on the loading status % screen. I had to restart the Wii twice before it responded. To make things worse, I did it again before I figured out my problem. Now it's dumpsville.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Did you do what I suggested ? The codedump can still happen with network connected, depending on when you load the app from HBC. Remove that line from meta.xml files and see if that helps. Another common issue comes if you have unsupported devices connected to USB ports.

electreffect

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tried it yet, I won't be able to until tonight. But i'm not sure that could be the problem for a few reasons. The first being the fact that everything was working for a few months until I overloaded the hard drive, never a single code dump until then. The second is I don't always use the HBC, a couple of the apps that crash are launched from a forwarder channel. And the USB drive is the same one that worked for months. One day all works perfect, I overload the HDD, next day things crash every time. Something definitely went wrong, this doesn't seem to be a compatibility issue that has been there all along.

All that being said, I'm willing to try and I appreciate the suggestion.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
electreffect said:
I haven't tried it yet, I won't be able to until tonight. But i'm not sure that could be the problem for a few reasons. The first being the fact that everything was working for a few months until I overloaded the hard drive, never a single code dump until then. The second is I don't always use the HBC, a couple of the apps that crash are launched from a forwarder channel. And the USB drive is the same one that worked for months. One day all works perfect, I overload the HDD, next day things crash every time. Something definitely went wrong, this doesn't seem to be a compatibility issue that has been there all along.

All that being said, I'm willing to try and I appreciate the suggestion.
You keeps saying overloaded. Do you mean you just ran out of free space?

electreffect

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I was loading games from the original disks into USB Loader GX, and didn't pay close enough attention to how much disc space I had left. My Wii froze in the middle of loading a game when the HDD ran out of space. It just locked up with the blue light around the disc drive still on like when it's loading a game. The screen was frozen on the loading status % screen. I had to restart the Wii twice before it responded. To make things worse, I did it again before I figured out my problem. Now it's dumpsville.

I guess so. I called it "overloaded". I could have said "ran out of free space on my HDD while loading an original game disc in USB loader GX causing the system to freeze and take two reboots to get it to work again". I was just searching for a shorter word that kinda meant that.

mvgc3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried deleting and replacing the problem apps' boot.dol files? It seems extremely unlikely, but maybe when you ran out of space on your drive GX messed something up looking for free space. I've never heard of something like this happening, so it's definitely a shot in the dark, but it takes at most 5 minutes maybe to test it (and obviously you can start with just one and seeing how it goes).

electreffect

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I spent last night trying the suggestions I got from all of you, here's where I've ended up.

JoostinOnline said:
SysCheck crashes aren't uncommon. I need you to try the other apps on your SD card as well.
I took Joostin's advice and tried some other apps off of my SD card. NES emulator worked fine off SD card but it would crash off of the HDD. I then tried loading the program off the SD card, but loading a game ROM off of the HDD, and it worked great, played exitebike for about 20 minutes. That got me thinking about mvgc3's last post.
QUOTE(mvgc3 @ Jun 2 2011, 10:17 PM) Have you tried deleting and replacing the problem apps' boot.dol files? It seems extremely unlikely, but maybe when you ran out of space on your drive GX messed something up looking for free space. I've never heard of something like this happening, so it's definitely a shot in the dark, but it takes at most 5 minutes maybe to test it (and obviously you can start with just one and seeing how it goes).
I put a fresh copy of the .dol foles on my HDD, and voila! I spent the night playing NES and SNES games, and watched Koyaanisquatsi using Wii MC from a network drive using SMB. I jumped from one app to the next, no crashes all night!

I still don't know exactly what happened. The files just as likely might have been corrupted by the hard drive shutting down in the middle of a write operation, or something else that has nothing to do with the Wii specifically. To add to the strangeness, not all of my .dol files were affected. USB loader GX worked the whole time.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I knew you'd all help me through this.

electreffect

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just reading through another post here and I came across this:

Coto said:
Is there any problem if system menu IOS (60,70,80) have patches? I'd rather keep them without hacks.

Looking over my syscheck report from the top of this topic, I've got stubs at IOS 60 and 70. That can't be good, can it?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
GX can corrupt hard drives, that's why I wanted you to test everything on your SD card. I'm glad you got it working. If it acts up again, you may want to reformat your HDD and start fresh.

Your System Menu IOS's don't have to be patched, it's just something extra. You are on 4.3, which uses IOS80. Non-stub versions of IOS60/70 would need to be installed if you were downgrading to 4.0/4.1/4.2, but they aren't needed as you are.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/yjrjY6PCb7o?si=xnFz0B2o_adIgLTV