Wii connection to TV

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Dogway, Jul 18, 2011.

Jul 18, 2011

Wii connection to TV by Dogway at 10:07 AM (1,704 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Dogway
    OP

Member Dogway GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    I bought the Wii one year ago and refrained myself from prompt buying a component cable or something else. Now that my Wii is fully set up and looking gorgeous is the time to think which way I want to go for displaying the games.

At first I thought on buying the recently announced HDMIKey, in this way you can assure two things, no data (image) loss, plus high quality TV res. compliant upscaler.
    The funny thing is that why would I want to have a clearer image for observing jaggies and pixels? That led me to consider buying...:

The SLG 3000, a recently released CRT emulation kit for LCD screens. In this way I can enjoy the Wii in the way it was supposed to be seen. But with the benefits of current generation TVs. It will perfectly work for old pixel based games, and will hide jaggies much better.

The problem now is this SLG 3000 just has VGA I/O. What are the current options for outputting VGA from Wii? and what are the problems related to it? I would like to know the opinions if anyone has tested the SLG 3000 with the Wii.

Edit: I think I solved it in this thread. My only concern is whether Wii emulators, snes9x, genplus, fceultra,vbagx, etc output at 480p.

2. toadhall

Newcomer toadhall Member

Malaysia
    Those emulators you mention have 480p output capabilities (check the video settings) so you should be good to go.

3. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    You only need a Component to VGA converter in order to connect the SLG3000.
    As the SLG only has VGA in/out
    You also need a VGA input on your LCD panel.
    Audio is still connected with the R/L cables of your Wii component cables with tulip to jackplug adaptor.
    I want one too....

If you found a good Component to VGA converter, could you post it here?

4. Dogway
    OP

Spain
    Thanks for the input. At last I decided to forget about this, a bit too much hassle for too much money (120€).
    Id need to buy the component cable, the VGA box, and the slg3000, and still Im unsure it would work flawlessly. Besides I need other tools for my work with the PC so... probably I will just buy the official component cables or something. Nonetheless post back here your feedback on the slg 3000 when you get one. Im very interested on how it works with the different emulators. And don't forget the pics! [​IMG]

I was going to buy the GBS-8220 VGA box. It also scales, so it can fix misalignments if the signal input is not what the slg 3000 expects. Its one of the cheapest and commonly used (hence tested) among the slg 3000 users over this (official?) thread.

5. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    BTW, the HDMIKey and every other Wii upscaler have actually been shown to provide no noticeable difference in quality, plus they add VERY noticeable jaggies.

As for CRT emulation... just pop out that old TV! It looks amazing even through Composite!

P.S. DOLPHIN LOOKS EVEN BETTER [​IMG] especially with anti-aliasing.

6. Dogway
    OP

Spain
    The HDMIKey is like a bad joke. I used to visit the spanish elotrolado hdmikey thread for opinions and couldn't stand so many naysayers anymore. They expect to see something like the Dolphin (lol), or at least some antialiasing. Ya know, I only expected to get something like component quality plus a better scaler than my TV, something like spline or lanczos as opposed to what I think TVs internal scalers use bicubic. Eventually you will notice more clearly the jaggies, it's common sense...

I think the slg 3000 is kind of an investment for retro guys. CRT's are old, take space (one more TV box), aren't as big as flat panels, and inputs are limited (clumsy to connect a 360 or ps3).

7. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Only if you REALLY are into Retro gaming and like to play low res games on a flatpanel in the sharpest crispiest picture possible, buy a VGA converter + sgl 3000.
    Take note that some tv's have a higer latency through the vga input.
    Because the gamemode of some tv can't be enabled in vga mode ( or image processing disabled ) this may result in exra lag for some tv brands.

You are probably better of using a monitor or crt monitor for lowest latency and higest picture quality.
    For old skool "low"res games the SLG makes A LOT OF difference. But it is expensive....

This guy knows ALL about resolutions and retro consoles and the best way to connect them.
    Check out his channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Faginrs500