Wii component output gives sharper image then RGB?

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I always thought both component and RGB (SCART) gives the same image quality if you only use 576i@50Hz. (https://www.retrorgb.com/wiirgbvscomponent.html)

But now I have a old LCD TV with both RGB and component inputs and I have both cables, the Wii is set to 576i (I don't want 60Hz). When connected using the component cable the image is a lot sharper then using the RGB cable.

On the same TV I've connected a PS2 with RGB too, but that one is way more sharper, more like the Wii using component.

Does the RGB output of the Wii just have a bad quality?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The question is, why would you prefer 50Hz instead of 60Hz? There's absolutely nothing to gain. Worse screen refresh, stretched video, lower-than-intended speed at which the games run...

In any case, the reason your PS2 looks "sharper" is because that system has no filter by itself, unlike the other systems of that generation, or the Wii, that were used to soften the way Interlaced video refreshes the screen.

On PS2, only specific games such as Final Fantasy XII add that filter because, well, it's not really good for your eyes. With Wii, and again, every other system from the sixth generation, it's something that the system itself adds.

As pointed by XFlak, it can be removed.

Reactions: XFlak

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The question is, why would you prefer 50Hz instead of 60Hz? There's absolutely nothing to gain. Worse screen refresh, stretched video, lower-than-intended speed at which the games run...

In any case, the reason your PS2 looks "sharper" is because that system has no filter by itself, unlike the other systems of that generation, or the Wii, that were used to soften the way Interlaced video refreshes the screen.

On PS2, only specific games such as Final Fantasy XII add that filter because, well, it's not really good for your eyes. With Wii, and again, every other system from the sixth generation, it's something that the system itself adds.

As pointed by XFlak, it can be removed.
Oh, i didn't know there are filters to make the image more blurry :blink: I want to disable it...

I want 50Hz because some games (like Wii Play) runs faster when the screen is set to 60Hz, making is harder to play... :(

There's a remove deflicker system menu hack (or usb loader game patch) that can improve quality

Here's a good description
https://gbatemp.net/threads/possible-to-disable-the-wiis-de-flicker-filter.477163/post-9732691

And here's the adjustments needed for priiloader's hacks_hash
https://gbatemp.net/threads/possibl...de-flicker-filter.477163/page-18#post-9509597
Does this only work for the RGB output? Because at this moment, without any hacks, the component output is sharper, even with 576i (interlaced) setting.

Also, the Priiloader hack is only for the system menu and not the games? If I Google this subject, it seems like there are versions of Wiiflow/USB Loader GX which removes this filter for the games?

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wow... the system menu looks really better with the Priiloader hack on :)

On the Wii with USB Loader GX I didn't change the version because I softmodded this Wii not very long ago (using instructions on https://wii.guide/ because I can't use Modmii on my Linux PC), it has version 3.0 rev. 1272 which already has the deflicker filter option :) It seems like the built-in channels like News Channel and Today&Tomorrow Channel also got the filter removed when started from USB Loader GX B-)

On the other Wii with Wiiflow I've updated it because the older version doesn't have the deflicker option.

However, there's improvement on both the RGB and component output. Making the component output still sharper then the RGB output...

Reactions: XFlak

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unless the game was developed for 50hz, then it's 60hz that will run faster unless optimised. Sonic 3D Blast gets flak for being too fast and hard to control - but nobody realises that Blast is just a poor 60hz conversion of the 50hz Flickie's Island.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c