Wii Coding - Do hardware wear out - Vote? :(

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Dan_Aykroyd, Jul 16, 2009.

?

Do the Wii wears out because of coding for it?

1. Yes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Jul 16, 2009
  1. Dan_Aykroyd
    OP

Member Dan_Aykroyd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hi there,

The last few days I've been coding something for the first time for my Wii. During this coding, by various reasons I got more than a couple of crashes, freezes, code dumps, etc when debugging code from another user. So this led me to have to power off (by holding the Wii hardware button most of the times - crash), or the times that it worked, reset the console (also with the Wii HW button) to recover from that.

Let's say that in the last 3 days I've powerdown + reset + booted an approximately amount of... ehm... 40, 50 times (this counting one for shutdown, one for turning on - but let's say like 25 shutdowns)?

I know this sound kind of stupid and that I shouldn't worry, but since this is my poor and only Wii, I don't want to "wear it" by doing all this. In fact, this is kind of bringing me down to the idea of keeping this up.

What do you think?

Thanks.

2. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    Coding something for the Wii will not wear it out.
    As you, like most people, probably code on a computer.

3. supermodchips

Member supermodchips GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Dont worry. I personally have had to hard reset numerous times over the years I have had the console and there has been no degredation of the console.

4. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    When you end up with a code dump just press reset on the wii or Z on a GC controller. This will have the same effect as "return to loader" functions. If you press A on a GC controller it is a system reset. You must realize also that the code dump screen is part of libogc which is part of devkit. It is part of every program that you compile and it is not part of the wii or anything from nintendo. So just because your shit crashes and you see this, it isn't anything bad happening to your wii. It is the guys that made devkit knowing that you would white a bad function and crash your program (they sure are smart). So this screen pops up instead of the app telling your wii to execute any self-destruct sequence.

I think the only real danger you have to worry about is making sure you don't write and test an app that will brick your wii and after that just worry about the power/reset buttons one your wii wearing out.

5. Dan_Aykroyd
    OP

United States
    Well yes, I know that coding (literally) wouldn't hurt it; I meant what's associated to it: shutting down when crashed.

And also yes, I use the reset button when possible. But some other times, like in an error executing a IOS Reload sentence, it doesn't work. The screen of the code dump says "Reloading" but it doesn't go away. [​IMG]

6. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    I don't believe hard resseting can damage your Wii, maybe the drive's motor that start everytime you turn it ON, but maybe...!! [​IMG]

7. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    Yeah the only thing that would be damaged would be components that wear down with every time you shut the Wii down. However these components will wear down even with a regular shut down, they are meant to last hundreds of thousands of shutdowns and power ups so you shouldn't worry. Unless of course you shut your Wii down about 10,000 times a day.

8. Dan_Aykroyd
    OP

United States
    I know that a "hard reset" (when system is not responding) is the same that a regular shut down, in terms of wearing out of the parts. I was just worried that I "spent" too much of those cycles the last few days! [​IMG]

9. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    no what "wears out" the hardware is usage of it.

10. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    I had my spare wii next to my pc monitor, so power button is easily accessible...

Through the time I needed to put some content on my sd card, due to continuous usage now sd cards are hard to stick into the sd slot possibly because some spring is deformed..

So switched to ftpii when writing something into the sd card, and I always use wiiload to send the dol's I am testing...

The only wearing off is in the power button I guess...

So the answer is not yes or no but somehow.... It depends on what you develop too.. When I was trying to unbrick my wii modifying freeloader's apploader, nearly burned at least 50-100 times the same dvd-rw and stuck on to my wii... upon failure, ejecting, burning a new modification...

11. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    use the wiimote? and you won't wear the power button out.
    Who thinks of things like this? seriously, how sad to think about homebrew damaging the wii (eventually). maybe your'e best of not ever using it and keeping it as an ornament? ;|

12. BlackEnigma

Member BlackEnigma GBAtemp Fan

United States

I don't think you can use the Wii remote to turn it off when it's frozen. Or at least I know for me there's the kind of frozen where the Wii remote won't turn it off.

Anyway I think that something that would kill your power button would be if you had to use it to navigate the homebrew channel that way you navigate bootmii if you don't have a GC controller. Using the power button in bootmii to cycle just feels like you're hurting it.

13. Dan_Aykroyd
    OP

United States
    Well.. if you would have read what I posted, you would have noticed that I said that sometimes the Wiimote DOESNT WORK, because it's a severe exception (e.g. IOSRELOAD CRASH DUMP) or because the WPAD has been disconnected by code (and it's not listened anymore).

And by the way... I didn't mean if the "little Ninty plastic power button ITSEOF would wear out"! I meant the whole inner circuit wearing out because of power off / on cycles; the same question would apply for if you turn off and on a regular PC a zillion times a day!