Wii Clock

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by lex luthor, Jan 3, 2011.

Jan 3, 2011

Wii Clock by lex luthor at 1:52 AM (1,661 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. lex luthor
    OP

Member lex luthor GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I usually disconnect my Wii from the outlet as a prevention but I've noticed that every time I do that the clock goes backwards. The more time I have it unplugged the more it goes to the point that yesterday it said September XX 2010. Do anyone knows if there is an application to synchronize the wii to an online time zone? The only reason this bothers me is because if I play a game and then I open the diary it will be incorrect. If there isn't any application that's ok because this is a minor issue.

2. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
  3. steves334

Newcomer steves334 Advanced Member

United States
  4. giantpune

United States
    nope. but you can do it.

5. lex luthor
    OP

Member lex luthor GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If it were you, how would you do it? If I have an example I could do it myself.

6. giantpune

United States
    if it were me, i would take code from a few different apps and add the few lines needed to glue them together.

take the network code from whatever program you want. theres some in brawl+updatifier that i just swiped from somewhere else. and take some console& input code from any of a thousand places. the libogc examples will do fine.

once you have that, you will be able to download files and display text on the screen. now its time to pick your time server. pick one that has output that is easy to parse, and is not likely to change. if your server changes the formatting of their output, then it will kill your program.

write the code to parse it. also you want to write code to allow the user to decide their timezone. at this point, you have everything needed to get the correct time in any timezone and let the user select their correct time zone. you can also use the function to get RTC from libogc. this will let you do a subtraction and now you know what value you need to write in sysconf so the clock will match the correct time.

then, grab the modified sysconf code that is used in the region changers. i saw it on dop-mii svn the other day. it allows you to read/edit values in sysconf. write the value you calculated into sysconf and youre done.

7. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

You could change the battery so the RTC keeps time properly, rather than constantly adjusting the offset.

8. Burton

Member Burton Real Life VIP and Educator

Puerto Rico
    If your problem resides only when unplugging your wii from the electrical outlet then what Cow-man and Deadlyflak tells you in short is to buy a low-voltage UPS system. This way you keep your wii plugged in, the clock running, in case power failure or blackout you don't have to wait the 2 min's pain in the@ss of wii becoming a vegetable. A regular ups system will be more than enough.

9. jerako2

Newcomer jerako2 Newbie

United States
    I started the thread to which giantpune referred above. Since then I've been working on a program to adjust the Wii date/time clock. It's not yet finished, but you can follow the progress on that forum.

-jerako2

10. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Seriously? The battery costs about $4 to replace and only requires you to take out a single screw.

11. jerako2

Newcomer jerako2 Newbie

United States
    Sorry for not explaining my situation. The original poster had the problem with the Wii losing time. In my case, though, I just got tired of manually adjusting the Wii time clock to compensate for drift. That is what got me to searching for a Wii time-setting program.

12. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    The drift is due to a low battery though, thats what he means. If you change the battery you shouldn't get any time drift.

13. jerako2

Newcomer jerako2 Newbie

United States
    That may be true for lex luthor (the original poster). However, for my own situation, I was referring to the normal drift that all clocks experience. (That is why I run Network Time Protocol clients on all of my Linux and Windows computers.) My objective was to find an NTP-like client program for the Wii. When I was unable to find one, I decided to try writing my own.

Sorry for the confusion.