Hacking Wii-clip (open wii) + programmer

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I really want to buy this because i have no experience in soldering and there is no where near me that installs mod chips. But i noticed the programmer needs a parallel port on your computer, correct? well my computer doesn't have a parallel port. Could i use this to hook it up to my computer via USB and program the chip?

(or do you think the chip has firmware already on it?)

drock360

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know that the chip does not come preprogrammed, but I am not sure if you can use a usb to printing port cable. I would recommend the key clip, another programmable chip by the same makers of the open clip. With the key clip, you can program the openwii firmware along with the wiikey firmware and a few other open source firmwares.

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
drock360 said:
I know that the chip does not come preprogrammed, but I am not sure if you can use a usb to printing port cable. I would recommend the key clip, another programmable chip by the same makers of the open clip. With the key clip, you can program the openwii firmware along with the wiikey firmware and a few other open source firmwares.

what is the difference between the key-clip and the open-wii?

i'm sure you can program the open-wii with different firmwares

drock360

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The open clip is a PIC chip that you can program openwii and other open source firmwares onto it. The key clip is an ATmega8 chip that can be programmed with wiikey, openwii, and other open source firmwares. They are just different types of chips, that can be programmed with different firmwares.

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well they are just like each other then. I would not want the wiikey firmware anyways....

As long as the mod chip is open source and can be programmed with different firmwares then i'm fine

So its the open clip for me.

Now back to my original question, can i use the cable? can someone link to a cable i could use?

nightwalker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
drock360 said:
The open clip is a PIC chip that you can program openwii and other open source firmwares onto it. The key clip is an ATmega8 chip that can be programmed with wiikey, openwii, and other open source firmwares. They are just different types of chips, that can be programmed with different firmwares.

no, that's not true, you're thinking of the free-clip
both open-clip and the key-clip has the ATmega8 chip

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
drock360 said:
With the key clip, you can program the openwii firmware along with the wiikey firmware and a few other open source firmwares.

Not correct. The key-clip only supports the Wiikey firmware. The Open clip only supports OpenWii.

nightwalker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
arctic_flame said:
drock360 said:
With the key clip, you can program the openwii firmware along with the wiikey firmware and a few other open source firmwares.

Not correct. The key-clip only supports the Wiikey firmware. The Open clip only supports OpenWii.

their website is really confusing i gotta say

i remember like 2 weeks ago, Key-clip's page indicated that it can be programmed with both openwii and wii-key but now it just states that it can be programmed with wii-key

the open-wii page though, still indicates that it can be programmed with both openwii and wii-key

has anyone actually attempted programming the Key-Clip with Openwii? or Open-Clip with wii-key?

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
nightwalker said:
arctic_flame said:
drock360 said:

their website is really confusing i gotta say

i remember like 2 weeks ago, Key-clip's page indicated that it can be programmed with both openwii and wii-key but now it just states that it can be programmed with wii-key

the open-wii page though, still indicates that it can be programmed with both openwii and wii-key

has anyone actually attempted programming the Key-Clip with Openwii? or Open-Clip with wii-key?

It obviously won't work as the 2 chips have different pinouts. It says on the Open-clip page "uses the 5 wire OpenWii method" and on the Key clip page, "uses the 6 wire wiikey method"

nightwalker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
arctic_flame said:
It obviously won't work as the 2 chips have different pinouts. It says on the Open-clip page "uses the 5 wire OpenWii method" and on the Key clip page, "uses the 6 wire wiikey method"

so it was false advertisements on wii-clip's part all the time
unsure.gif

man how come wii-clip team doesnt advertise here like they do on open-wii and wiinewz maybe then they'll be able to clear this up

drock360

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

This is not correct. The key-clip supports Wiikey and Openwii, just like you can convert a real wiikey to an Openwii. The key-clip also supports a few other chips that can be programmed onto an ATmega8. The Open-clip supports openwii and a few other open source chips, but not wiikey.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SugoiEndeavor @ SugoiEndeavor: What's up bakaz