Wii cISO the same as PSP cISO?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by nl255, May 13, 2009.

May 13, 2009

Wii cISO the same as PSP cISO? by nl255 at 6:53 AM (4,135 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. nl255
    OP

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Is there any difference between the Wii cISO (Compressed ISO) format and the PSP one?

2. Jockel

Member Jockel Tagging yourself? This shit ain't NeoGAF.

Germany
  3. SpAM_CAN

Member SpAM_CAN GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    There is no Wii cISO format.

There is however, cIOS. IOS is a system file.

4. Mark McDonut

Member Mark McDonut GBAtemp Fan

United States
    same idea, garbage data scrubbed, updates stripped and stored small on a storage medium (usbloader or sdcard)

as far as file systems, psp iso's follow a standard iso 9660 format and can be mounted and viewed on windows in their full uncompressed form and files browed and modded (see manhunt 2 uncensoring)

The wii's file system on usb I've seen mention of it being some kind of SSL and decrypted it very well migh be nintendo's filesystem too, but i don't know much about that. A compressed Wii Iso has been scrubbed to have the garbage data turned to zeroes and sometimes updates removed which can save you a substantial amount of space not to mention the amazing compression of the wbfs file sytem, and when stored as restored Iso files, they can be saved in an ntfs compressed folder to save yourself some disk space.

5. nl255
    OP

Actually, there is now a Compressed ISO format, Hermes added it to the WBFS Intelligent GUI. My question is did he just use the PSP cISO compression or did he come up with his own format?

6. nl255
    OP

Yes, but is the cISO format used by the WBFS Intelligent GUI the same as that used on the PSP (once the Wii ISO is scrubbed) or did he come up with his own compression system?

7. SpAM_CAN

Member SpAM_CAN GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Oh really? Thats news to me [​IMG]

8. amiga

Newcomer amiga Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Yeah, there is a CISO (compressed iso) based in Hermes wbfs but I'm not sure is the same of psp but probably is not because of totally different iso systems.

I think there was only one wbfs manager that used cisos but I think it would really usefull if others managers would use it because these way you can save the compressed iso, delete the game and reuse it later without taking much space and it's a fast process.

9. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    As said many times before, a Wii is NOT a PSP in any way, shape, or form. It's a totally different device, which means NOTHING is the same. This applies to compressed ISO's as well.

10. nl255
    OP

Unfortunately that won't happen unless Hermes either releases the source code to his WBFS GUI, documents the format, or someone reverse engineers the file format.

11. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Nevermind.