Hacking Wii Chips still worth it?

Veloxi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
We've come a long way since the twilight channel was first released. The mention from some about a possible Wii ISO loader makes me wonder how possible this really is.

I'd like to chip my Wii, but with the possibility of a loader, I think I'd rather just wait for that. Any suggestions or comments? I feel I'd either be waiting a very long time for this, or maybe it's just around the corner? I really don't know...

Veloxi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think for me it's more of a "ehhhh..." since I've never soldered anything in my life. I've looked into modchips but not very much since I don't like wires. I saw the Wii-Clip(sp?) system, but it looks like it only works with it's partnering chip, and really... I just don't know much about it. I guess I'll start looking into it now, but I assume most chips do the same thing (boot discs)

siggy2guitar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can get a wii clip so you dont need to solder any thing, also i recommend the cyclowiz cause its the only modchip that always booted a game (even SSBB) with out ever having problems and its very affordable if you buy the v1 and upgrade it with a disc.

Veloxi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd buy a CycloWiz and learn to solder on some scrap hardware, but the instruction manual on their site really blows ass. Especially for someone who has never opened a Wii before. Bah.

Flawsdraw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wii-Clip + Pre Soldered D2Pro open wii and place and all works
smile.gif
no need for soldering and dont forget ribbon cable out of USB part and you got an upgradable chip (as long as buy the Programmar)

Christen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, if you really aren't comfortable with soldering inside your Wii (or able to find someone who is) I'd say wait for a softmod. However, a pre-soldered Wii-Clip would definitely be a good move, as the most effort required really is opening up your Wii. Its up to you really, I don't really see a softmod for another few months at least.

Veloxi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, and like someone said earlier... the softmod will probably be fixed by Nintendo, so a modchip does seem like more of a long-term solution.

I guess I'll figure out how to open my Wii and see what type of board I have, then look into the clip-on solution. ModChipCentral.com seems to have what I need, but I've never ordered from them. Anyone else use their products?

Christen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I don't know, I could see Nintendo letting a softmod slip. Hell, Bushing even told them they found something that could lead to it and want to work with them to patch it up, but they didn't reply. So I could see them letting that pass since a vast majority of Wii users wouldn't even use it.

Veloxi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think I'm going to wait a month or so and see what happens. Looks like people have hit or miss success running games like SSBB, and that's only the first one that will probably give us problems.

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo can't really fix it if you don't upgrade.
And Nintendo can't FORCE you to upgrade, or add a patch without your knowing.

And when Nintendo fixed the Twilight Hack, it was fixed in less than 8 hours.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
What I've got is a WiiKey and Wii-Clip. Update WiiKey to 1.9s (latest firmware) and SSBB will work fine. I've never used a chip or anything before, so this was really good.

What we don't know about an ISO Loader is what it will be like, if one is ever released. If you look at MPlayer, then the DVD's can be patchy. Will games be like this? And really, I can't see one being released for a long time, even if one is.

nitrotux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Christen said:
Well I don't know, I could see Nintendo letting a softmod slip. Hell, Bushing even told them they found something that could lead to it and want to work with them to patch it up, but they didn't reply. So I could see them letting that pass since a vast majority of Wii users wouldn't even use it.

That would be the DVD library recently released. It can read data from burned DVD-R's without a chip - perfect for a ISO loader.
Bushing couldn't keep it closed forever as people were figuring it out on their own, such as Waninkoko.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head