Wii can read drive formatted WBFS, but not FAT32

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by ThisLittlePiggy, Jul 14, 2010.

1. ThisLittlePiggy
    OP

Newcomer ThisLittlePiggy Newbie

United States
    Hi all. Firstly, thanks for all the information here, I've made good use of it over the past year. But now I have a problem I've not been able to solve just by reading and I have to ask.

I've used a USB hard drive formatted with a single WBFS partition for a year or so but recently, while trying to get Monster Hunter 3 working, it was corrupted. So I figured I'd reformat it FAT32 and use it to store WiiWare games as well as disk backups.

So, I formatted it FAT32, with 32kB clusters, a single partition, marked active and primary. With a WBFS folder. And used Wii Backup Manager to load a few games from my Win7 PC.

I then followed the guides here: http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/cios to install Waninkokos v19 and Hermes v5 cIOS [I know it is for 17 but I went for 19.] It all installed fine.

Plugged in my drive and:
    - USB Loader GX just says there are 0 games.
    - uLoader says it can't find a WBFS partition and invites me to format the partition it does see--which is the FAT32 formatted one.

[I don't think it matters but I'm on System Menu 4.0E]

What have I missed?

2. bugaveli

Banned bugaveli Banned

United States
    Usbgx requires Hermes v4 and not v5. I had the same problem.

3. ThisLittlePiggy
    OP

United States
    Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I also tried that.

But I'll give it a shot. Cheers.

4. bugaveli

Banned bugaveli Banned

United States
    U said u used Hermes v5. Also you have to set your main ios setting to whatever slot u put Hermes v4. This was my exact problem. U may have to delete your config files from sd as well

5. ThisLittlePiggy
    OP

United States
    I thought I'd also tried v4 but, on seeing the messages it put up during install, I realised I hadn't.

But, it made no difference.

So, I decided to go back to the very beginning, following the USB Loader GX readme.

[I reformatted my SD card and downloaded latest versions of the apps I use below.]

I used DOP-Mii v12 to patch IOS36

Then I used HackMii to re-install the HBC.

Then I installed rev 17

Then I installed v4

Then I started USB Loader and set it to boot 222.

And came out and went back in.

But, still, Games: 0

I check the config and it's showing boot 222, and Partition = FAT1 (111.79GB) which is what I would expect would be fine.

Oh well, I figure I'll insert a disk and install it, see if that works. It doesn't--I get a black screen of death--full of error codes and a reboot in 5 seconds so I don't have time to note them.

I don't know if it's relevant, but when I start USB Loader it comes up with some debugging steps first...It tries to load into 236 but can't find it so loads into 36, and then a little later loads into 222 before the GUI appears.

???

PPS. To further prove that the drive is fine, I've installed the NeoGamma .dol on the USB hard drive. It's not on the SD card. When I start the Homebrew channel I'm able to switch between the set of apps on the SD card and the single app on the USB drive. And I'm able to load and run NeoGamma. So it definitely seems the Wii isn't having any problems reading the drive and that the problem lies with USB Loader GX.

6. oggzee

Member oggzee GBAtemp Addict

Slovenia
    I'd suggest to try also the configurable usb loader and wiiflow which also support loading games from a fat partition. If that works it's clear that the bug is GX if that still doesn't work the problem is probably in your setup...

7. ThisLittlePiggy
    OP

United States
    You beauty. [​IMG]

Well, kindof.

I started configurable loader and it used 249 and it also complained that there was no wbfs partition. I clicked a few buttons and suddenly it showed up the two games I'd installed on the drive. Wahay.

But when I tried to run one and it errored out, saying 222 was required to play games on a fat partition. But I do have 222 installed so I'm not sure why it wouldn't have found it.

But anyway, things are looking promising. I see there's a configurator so I'll spend some time looking into that trying to get it to use 222 by default.

Cheers mate. You've gotten me further than I've been so far. [​IMG]

EDIT. Brilliant. I found the ios = 222-mload option and added that to the config. And with that I've been able to play the two games I had loaded.

Funny thing is, the loader still seems to want a WBFS partition. When it starts it complains that it can't find one, then I have to manually select the FAT partition (which is the only one on the disk). Only then does it read it. Hopefully I'll find a config option to tell it to look for the FAT partition on opening rather than looking for a WBFS one.

EDIT2. Found partition = FAT1 Brilliant. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks very much mate.

8. oggzee

Member oggzee GBAtemp Addict

Slovenia
    That's because you don't have rev19 of cios 249.
    FAT loading with cios 249 is supported only with rev19
    So I suggest you also update cios 249 to rev19.

9. Etheboss

Member Etheboss Official LULWUT supporter

Netherlands
    I suggest you also check if the fat partition is primary and active, i know Wiiflow needs it, so probably the other USB loaders aswell.
    Edit: sorry didnt read the post good enough.

10. ThisLittlePiggy
    OP

United States
    Yep, you're right. I updated to rev19 (with base of 57), removed those two entries from the config file (ie. restored it to the default state) and it works fine. Cheers.

[PS. I'm really liking the loader.]

11. sideskroll

Member sideskroll GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Peru
    Similar problem. No solution so far...
    I had a wbfs fomatted mactor portable basics (fully compatible) working perfectly with all my games. Yesterday I decided to reformat the drive as fat32(32KB if it makes any difference) Cause I thought It would be good to have the extra space available for whatever I could need and seeing as the fat32 support is fully developed by now (I had WBFS since this whole softmod thing started...)
    Anyways, long story short it took me FOREVER to backup the games to my hdd, reformat the external drive and then move the backed up games from my hdd to my external AGAIN just to find out my wii doesn't recognize it!!!... The external is the same, the games are the same. Everythings the same.
    I'm using the latest revs of everything (at least what modmii downloads for me...) and CFG loader.
    Apps stored in the usb drive are not recognized either...
    What could be wrong and can you think of something to fix it? (Please don't tell me to reformat my drive again cause I think I'd rather kick myself in the nuts than going through that again...)
    Thanks in advance.

PS: I formatted and managed the backups with Wii Backup Manager (latest version)