Hacking Wii can now play DVD-R's? Is this normal?

MasterXD34

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, last night I went to go prepare a backup of my Wii's NAND because I was going to install a custom theme. The BootMii never ended up working, but something else weird happened. I had my 1 burned dvd in the drive (Super Mario Galaxy) and out of the blue after all the bootmii and wad installing, the Disc Channel was showing Super Mario Galaxy. Is this normal? or did I mess my wii up or something?

Solution
Good. Priiloader working is fine. And after using ModMii it is normal for an older Wii to show backups on the System Menu (although you might need to start them through some USB-loader, which also can load DVD-R)

As for the "no signal" in BootMii. Maybe it's using the wrong video mode.

There should be a file SD:/bootmii/bootmii.ini
Replace the line VIDEO=????? with some of the other option(s). NTSC,PAL50,PAL60,PROGRESSIVE

MasterXD34

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I do not have a modchip currently installed. I don't even know how this happened and I know it has to be the CD by nintendo. with the "Wii" logo on it.
Do you think the wads or bootmii installation might have messed with the CD drive?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did you follow a specific guide? Or did you use ModMii (recommended)?

Older Wii drives can be convinced to read backups (and even DVD-Video – not a good idea to wear down the laser by watching movies) with software modification only. Newer (D3-2 and D4) drives check the copy protection in their own firmware and need a modchip for convincing them in reading DVD+-R.

What disturbs me a bit is the "BootMii never ended up working"-part. You should really have/create a NAND-backup. Try a different SD. At the very least make sure Priiloader is installed and can be started by holding (RESET) while turning on the Wii before you mess around with themes.

MasterXD34

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used a tutorial that included ModMii, and I also set priiloader up and it can accessed by holding RESET + POWER. Whenever I try to access the BootMii section my screen stays black with my Wii light still on. It just says "No AV connected" If I press Reset when at the black screen, it takes me back to the System Menu (screen with all the channels installed). I don't think this is normal. My SD card is new, and I have no other SD I can use.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Good. Priiloader working is fine. And after using ModMii it is normal for an older Wii to show backups on the System Menu (although you might need to start them through some USB-loader, which also can load DVD-R)

As for the "no signal" in BootMii. Maybe it's using the wrong video mode.

There should be a file SD:/bootmii/bootmii.ini
Replace the line VIDEO=????? with some of the other option(s). NTSC,PAL50,PAL60,PROGRESSIVE

Solution

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you're running your Wii Menu on a CIOS that can read backup discs*, for example because you installed darkcorp, an individual CIOS as IOS60 or whatever your Wii Menu uses, or because you set Priiloader to use another IOS for Wii Menu... it will read backup discs

* and, of course, have an optical drive that doesn't reject non-original discs in hardware

Also, a nand backup won't be useful for theme-related bricks unless you have a hardmod or Bootmii as boot2 - if you only have Bootmii as IOS, you need Priiloader to run it, at which point you can solve the issue in a more efficient way

MasterXD34

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@KleinesSinchen It worked! The BootMii Menu has appeared and now I'm able to backup my NAND to my SD. I'm going to mark your solution as best answer. Thank you for the continued support. It has come to my attention that it is normal to be able to run backup discs through the disc channel after installing certain things. Like you said you can "Convince" the drive to load backups. Anywho, your advice worked. Thanks again!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.