Wii Browser Exploit Found

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Opera browser beta going end later this march and you might need to update your Wii's to used Opera to browser in futures,
anyway I hope this not a wii brick exploit.....
unsure.gif

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I tried it and it completely stopped everything. I feel bad. My Wii broke trying to display a little blue brick. (I ran i on firefox later)

If this can be used to execute code, the only way i see is the homebrew being streamed from the net onto your wii. And then if that specific homebrew has any save type function, it would have to save onto a server. Meaning that even if this is a way to execute code, that to most, if not all homebrewers this will not turn into anything big, because few people will go out and buy a server and buy huge upload rates from their ISP for homebrew.

Im not very familiar with browsers..
frown.gif
However everyone lately is talking about just using ROMs and not homebrew. Thinking a little, The only homebrew that i can see being a major success like Moonshell is, is a program that can make the Wii act as a DVR, which would record to SD media, or to USB after a bootloader is made.

"One small step for the scene, one itty-bitty tip-toe/large leap for the Wii"

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There isn't too much incentive for people to write Wii homebrew games because you can simply use the Wiimote on your PC and play Flash games on the Wii browser... That said, a nice video & DVD player would be a good thing.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well... Coders mainly interested in pointing can reach most people that way so it's the way to go if it's not very complex. The more complex things and motions on the other hand can simply be done on a PC with GlovePIE etc. so why go through all the difficulties of coding for the Wii? Of couse, some people will still do it when it's possible, some even for a reason, but it's a lot less attractive than for example coding for the DS.

INTERNETS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... Coders mainly interested in pointing can reach most people that way so it's the way to go if it's not very complex. The more complex things and motions on the other hand can simply be done on a PC with GlovePIE etc. so why go through all the difficulties of coding for the Wii? Of couse, some people will still do it when it's possible, some even for a reason, but it's a lot less attractive than for example coding for the DS.

yeah and why bother writing homebrew for xbox when the sdk is illegal. and also it's just a computer so why don't we write programs for the computer instead

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Simple: Because for most people the 360 is the most powerfull computer they own. Also most people don't care if something is illegal, they care about if it's easy to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I see your mop and raise you George's mop lol