Gaming Wii Bricked - NTSC Wii - UK PAL Game

liamis2cool

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As above really, my work colleage bought a Wii from USA back in Xmas 08 and has used Freeloader to load UK imports since, at xmas he bought Wii Sports Resorts w/ Motion+, he only got round to playing it the other day and when you inserted the disk, he stupidly agreed to the update, and since he has been hit by the black screen.

I have googled numerous times and looked at many youtube videos, but most respond to having the homebrew channel installed or a modchip, which he didnt have installed.

any contributions into the direction he should take would be just great!

thanks.

C.S.I.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think he's in a lot of trouble.

Was the Sports Resort NTSC or PAL Version. I assume NTSC as thats were you indicate you live, and where he got the Wii.
Although you say he plays UK (PAL) imports.

If it was PAL, then you have a region issue. Unsure you will fix this short of sending to Ninti...

liamis2cool

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C.S.I. said:
I think he's in a lot of trouble.

Was the Sports Resort NTSC or PAL Version. I assume NTSC as thats were you indicate you live, and where he got the Wii.
Although you say he plays UK (PAL) imports.

If it was PAL, then you have a region issue. Unsure you will fix this short of sending to Ninti...

NTSC US machine with a UK PAL copy of WSP, he called Nintendo who said it would cost around $250! he said he can buy a UK machine in a local shop brand new for $220, and thats basically what that told him to do

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...even a simple google of freeloader (linky) shows that upgrading with freeloader will cause problems. And considering that freeloader's exploit has been fixed since 3.3, it would actually surprise me if the WSR update wouldn't result in a brick.
unsure.gif

Telling nintendo the whole story is a stupid move. Hacking goes against the terms of agreement, so it would void any sort of warranty he might have had (and that was if his wii was still within the warranty period, which it isn't).

As for fixing it...sorry.
frown.gif
The reason you find so much stuff about the homebrew channel or modchips is because those may provide antibrick measurements.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when a game comes out with a newer update than the one that was installed to cause the brick, use the savemiifrii method to boot that game. it should install its update, effectively overwriting the out-of-region system menu on your wii with one from the correct region.

if you were bricked by wii sports resort, i believe that currently the wii is at 4.0e. go rent the new mario game, pick up a $10 gamecube controller, and its fixed in 2 minutes.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
giantpune said:
when a game comes out with a newer update than the one that was installed to cause the brick, use the savemiifrii method to boot that game. it should install its update, effectively overwriting the out-of-region system menu on your wii with one from the correct region.

if you were bricked by wii sports resort, i believe that currently the wii is at 4.0e. go rent the new mario game, pick up a $10 gamecube controller, and its fixed in 2 minutes.
We're at 4.2x right now.

And just pressing Y on a GC controller with nothing installed isn't going to do anything. He has no homebrew to trigger the loading. If he had BootMii installed, it would be a different story.

I don't know what you can do other than sell it as bricked and buy a new one, or send it to Nintendo to fix, but you'll have to think of a cover story.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning