Wii bricked, Nand backed up but wont install.

PJREZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I somehow bricked my wii. No clue how but immediate black screen. Bootmii is instaled as boot2. I have a nand backup from a year ago but when I installed it back on my wii it's still black. I'm able to open the homebrew channel, but my apps wont load/appear and wiimote wont connect. Using a gamecubecontroller im able to acess the menu. It says IOS58 v24.32. Don't know if that helps but I put it there in case. I also have no wifi network.

Xflax, you're probably reading this, and I tried to use ModMii to download sneek, but when I turn my wii on sneek doesn't work. Priiloader doesn't work either.

Any thoughts? I bought a new wii I get it tomorrow, but I would still like to try and salvage

btw my disk drive isn't attached lol, don't know if that causes issues.
Thanks!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Booting a fresh emunand with sneek for the first time can take 5-10 minutes, this is normal.

Are you sure your sd card and usb HDD is formatted properly (fat32)? If so, and the hbc is still not showing your apps, it sounds like a hardware problem.

Did u change tv's or cables recently? When you exit the hbc and return to the system menu, is this a black screen as well?

From a software perspective, in your shoes I would try building/flashing a virgin nand.bin using ohneschwanzenegger. You feed it your unique wii's keys and it can build a nand for u to install using bootmii. You can always restore your other (problematic) nand dump to return to your current state. If this is a software related issue, this should solve it.

PJREZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Booting a fresh emunand with sneek for the first time can take 5-10 minutes, this is normal.

Are you sure your sd card and usb HDD is formatted properly (fat32)? If so, and the hbc is still not showing your apps, it sounds like a hardware problem.

Did u change tv's or cables recently? When you exit the hbc and return to the system menu, is this a black screen as well?

From a software perspective, in your shoes I would try building/flashing a virgin nand.bin using ohneschwanzenegger. You feed it your unique wii's keys and it can build a nand for u to install using bootmii. You can always restore your other (problematic) nand dump to return to your current state. If this is a software related issue, this should solve it.
Okay so
1.) Yes my sd cards are formatted and work fine, I just bought them yesterday and they’re fine.

2.) No I never changed the cables. I don’t think it’s hardware cause I messed up while installing ios’s

3) I tried ohneschnegger but I’m not sure if I’m doing it right cause its not working

4.) Am I doing Neek right? I’m using Neek+Divor whater. I just copied all the files to my root (Sd:/) but when i turn my wii on it just stays at bootmii

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
don't use "+di", or if you chose that option, just delete (or move/rename) the di.bin file out of the sneek/ folder.
The di.bin will prevent neek from booting if there's no compatible game format (extracted disc, discex format) present on USB.

though, if it stays at the bootmii screen, it's probably another issue, even before the di.bin problem.
be sure you replace the "sd:/bootmii/" folder with the one generated by the neek setup on modmii.
It's possible modmii renamed it to "bootmii_neek" or something like that, to prevent overwriting the real bootmii inadvertently.
but if you want to use boot2 to launch neek, you need the content inside that folder to be located on sd:/bootmii/, so keep your official bootmii folder somewhere safe (or rename the folder "bootmii_official" and rename the other neek booter to just "bootmii")

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: XFlak and godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't use "+di", or if you chose that option, just delete (or move/rename) the di.bin file out of the sneek/ folder.
The di.bin will prevent neek from booting if there's no compatible game format (extracted disc, disxex) present on USB.

though, if it stays at the bootmii screen, it's probably another issue, even before the di.bin problem.
I think I remember that happening to me on the vwii a while back, so I removed it. I have no compatible games. forgot the format for sneek.

Reactions: PJREZ

PJREZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The di.bin will prevent neek from booting if there's no compatible game format (extracted disc, discex format) present on USB.

be sure you replace the "sd:/bootmii/" folder with the one generated by the neek setup on modmii.
It's possible modmii renamed it to "bootmii_neek" or something like that, to prevent overwriting the real bootmii inadvertently.
but if you want to use boot2 to launch neek, you need the content inside that folder to be located on sd:/bootmii/, so keep your official bootmii folder somewhere safe (or rename the folder "bootmii_official" and rename the other neek booter to just "bootmii")
1636571550923.png
This is all that's in my Sd atm. Bootmii is that "BootmiiSneek" thing. Still a black screen.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you mean black screen when booting neek, you might see what happens in usb loader gx. there's a boot neek under features. just make sure there's not a lot of content, because how long it takes to boot up depends on how much is in the emunand. it will be a black screen during this process (also takes longer at first boot up). you can tell something is happening by the hdd activity light if you're using neek2o or uneek. don't think there's really any way to tell with sneek. however, all three use the same named folder: sneek.

PJREZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you mean black screen when booting neek, you might see what happens in usb loader gx. there's a boot neek under features. just make sure there's not a lot of content, because how long it takes to boot up depends on how much is in the emunand. it will be a black screen during this process (also takes longer at first boot up). you can tell something is happening by the hdd activity light if you're using neek2o or uneek. don't think there's really any way to tell with sneek. however, all three use the same named folder: sneek.
No I mean like no activity from my wii. The SD works fine, the fan is on, the lights just no display unless i'm running bootmii. no controller connecting either. It literally is currently a paperweight

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
so bootmii works? bootmii works up to hHBC, but it won't let you use the wiimote, try connecting a GamCube controller on port 1, see if that works (gota be someone in your town owning one).

PJREZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so bootmii works? bootmii works up to hHBC, but it won't let you use the wiimote, try connecting a GamCube controller on port 1, see if that works (gota be someone in your town owning one).
I'm able to, and I provided info about it first thread lol. Apps won't load though, they don't appear.

PJREZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're seeing the bootmii menu when trying to launch neek, 100% you have the wrong bootmii folder on the SD card, and need to move/rename files/folders so that the bootmiineek folder is named sd:/bootmii
I believe I have the correct. I renamed it to "bootmii" and replaced the original yet nothing's loading. Can get into the bootmini.elf but no controller connected and no gamecube response it seems. No "Press 1 to continue" thing

PJREZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say nothing is loading when trying to launch neek, how long did u wait? Can u tell if there's activity on your hdd?

Ohneschwanzenegger is still probably your best bet to solving your real nand issue.
Yeah, I tried that last night. I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly though, cause I still get the black screen. HC doesn't work now. I tried Punetwiin but It wont run.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Cool didn't know they ported cuphead on vita