Hardware Wii bricked for trying to copy SGs&Miis.

cmdj1982

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey everyone. I bought a new Wii console the other day and simply wanted to port my Save games and Miis over to the new system and sell the old one. Well, all was going fine until I found I couldn't transfer MarioKart games over to the SD Card, so I dl'd/installed Homebrew&BootMii and used BootMii to backup my NAND.bin to copy over to the new system (hoping this would solve the issue).

INstalled HB/BM on the new system, loaded BM, entered Konami code and copied over the NAND file, only to reboot and find out the system is bricked...

I Tried the Gamecube controller method, Power&Reset, and I can't access anything. I am really ticked off because I had a lot of plans today and wasted 3hrs destroying my new Wii when all I wanted to do was spend 20min copying games and Miis over. If not for Nintendo's BS issue with moving certain games over this wouldn't have happened, but now here we are. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Illuminaticy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone. I bought a new Wii console the other day and simply wanted to port my Save games and Miis over to the new system and sell the old one. Well, all was going fine until I found I couldn't transfer MarioKart games over to the SD Card, so I dl'd/installed Homebrew&BootMii and used BootMii to backup my NAND.bin to copy over to the new system (hoping this would solve the issue).

INstalled HB/BM on the new system, loaded BM, entered Konami code and copied over the NAND file, only to reboot and find out the system is bricked...

I Tried the Gamecube controller method, Power&Reset, and I can't access anything. I am really ticked off because I had a lot of plans today and wasted 3hrs destroying my new Wii when all I wanted to do was spend 20min copying games and Miis over. If not for Nintendo's BS issue with moving certain games over this wouldn't have happened, but now here we are. Any help is greatly appreciated.
What you're saying is you restored the NAND from one system onto the other? Just want to be 100% sure this is what you mean.

Last edited by Illuminaticy,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All Wii systems have system-specific encryption keys permanently burned in One-Time Programmable ROM, which I believe is located on the CPU. These keys are used to encrypt the NAND flash. Restoring a NAND backup from a different Wii results in the system being unable to decrypt the NAND, so it won't boot.

Options:
  1. If you have BootMii installed as Boot2, you can still access the NAND dump/restore function. If you dumped the system's original NAND before restoring the other one, you can restore that NAND. If not, you can dump the current (broken) NAND in order to get the keys, then use Ohneschwanzenegger to create a new NAND image using the keys.
  2. If you don't have BootMii installed as Boot2, but the system is old enough that Boot1 is vulnerable, you can use a NAND programmer to install BootMii manually. I'm not sure of the specifics of this.
  3. If your system has a fixed Boot1 that doesn't allow BootMii installed as Boot2, and you have an original NAND backup from before you attempted to restore the other system's NAND, you can restore the original NAND backup using a NAND programmer.
  4. If none of the above apply: Your system is permanently bricked.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +the

Illuminaticy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All Wii systems have system-specific encryption keys permanently burned in One-Time Programmable ROM, which I believe is located on the CPU. These keys are used to encrypt the NAND flash. Restoring a NAND backup from a different Wii results in the system being unable to decrypt the NAND, so it won't boot.

Options:
  1. If you have BootMii installed as Boot2, you can still access the NAND dump/restore function. If you dumped the system's original NAND before restoring the other one, you can restore that NAND. If not, you can dump the current (broken) NAND in order to get keys, then use Ohneschwanzenegger to create a new NAND image using the keys.
  2. If you don't have BootMii installed as Boot2, but the system is old enough that Boot1 is vulnerable, you can use a NAND programmer to install BootMii manually. I'm not sure of the specifics of this.
  3. If your system has a fixed Boot1 that doesn't allow BootMii installed as Boot2, and you have an original NAND backup from before you attempted to restore the other system's NAND, you can restore the original NAND backup using a NAND programmer.
You literally just typed nearly exactly what I was going to.

cmdj1982

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Options:
  1. If you have BootMii installed as Boot2, you can still access the NAND dump/restore function. If you dumped the system's original NAND before restoring the other one, you can restore that NAND. If not, you can dump the current (broken) NAND in order to get the keys, then use to create a new NAND image using the keys.

Thanks for this. I'll give them a shot. How do I know if Boot 1 is vulnerable? Is there such a thing a launching the Wii from USB or SD like the old PCs could bypass the default startup to DOS? Like some built-in Wii system reset feature?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this. I'll give them a shot. How do I know if Boot 1 is vulnerable? Is there such a thing a launching the Wii from USB or SD like the old PCs could bypass the default startup to DOS? Like some built-in Wii system reset feature?
There is no known alternate boot method in cases where you can't even get to the System Menu.

When you installed HBC/BootMii, it should have mentioned if Boot1 was vulnerable. If it was, it would have prompted to install BootMii in Boot2. Check the SD card for an install log.

cmdj1982

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd like to know where you got the idea that it would be okay to what you did. LoL.

I don't like hacking my systems and never have before. i am a complete newb so chalk it up as a newb mistake. I was just trying to get my MarioKart saves from one wii to another because F%*&ing Nintendo forbids it and prevents all moving or copying of the saves to an SD card. I thought the NAND was just basically a full system-copy file and thought it would reboot the new Wii with all data from the old one. Apparently not.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't like hacking my systems and never have before. i am a complete newb so chalk it up as a newb mistake. I was just trying to get my MarioKart saves from one wii to another because F%*&ing Nintendo forbids it and prevents all moving or copying of the saves to an SD card. I thought the NAND was just basically a full system-copy file and thought it would reboot the new Wii with all data from the old one. Apparently not.

I still have my old functional Wii intact and working. I just bought a new system which had barely been used and still had the original box with it (awesome for a collector like me) and I intended to resell the old system to recover my cost. If I can't fix this I am out $60 for a new box basically. Not the end of the world, but incredibly disappointing when all i was trying to do was port my data and settings over. Thanks Nintendo...

cmdj1982

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Options:
  1. If you have BootMii installed as Boot2, you can still access the NAND dump/restore function. If you dumped the system's original NAND before restoring the other one, you can restore that NAND. If not, you can dump the current (broken) NAND in order to get the keys, then use to create a new NAND image using the keys.

1. BootMii is not installed at Boot 2 (checked install.log). I did not backup the original NAND on the target Wii. I wiped the current/broken NAND off of the SD Card when attempting to retry installing Bootmii (required a clean SD card). Best thing I could do is try to copy the NAND off my old Wii again, but I doubt that will do anything now since the new Wii is bricked.
2. Boot 1 is not vulnerable (at least it did not say so in the install.log)(did a search for 'vulnerable' and nothing)
3. I did not backup the original NAND on the target Wii, just overrid it.
4. I am f*k'd.

Luckily I found another Wii system today for $10 (how perfect someone posted an ad just today of a console with no cords, no controllers, no games, no nothing; and it was the original RVL-001 I wanted...), so in the end I am lucky that I am escaping this mishap with only 4hrs of time lost and $10. Lesson learned. I am not a MODer. lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1