Wii bricked after attempt to install SoftMii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Xrystal, Mar 20, 2009.

Mar 20, 2009
  1. Xrystal
    OP

Newcomer Xrystal Member

Canada
    Hi everyone,

I was trying to install SoftMii into my Nintendo Wii. I downloaded the SoftMii pack 2.1.1 and used the included user manual. Even though the apps didn't quite correspond to what was said in the user manual, I continued.
    I got to the 3rd phase and after installing Preloader, I couldn't boot up my Wii. In fact, I could but as soon as I turned on the Wii, I get this message :

"The system files are corrupted. Please refer to the Wii Operations Manual for help troubleshooting."

I can get to the preloader by holding Reset and I can get to the homebrew channel and run apps from there. But I can't access the Wii's system menu.

I would appreciate help on how to not have that error message, having my Wii like before.

Thank you in advance!

2. Jotokun

Member Jotokun GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I myself dont play around with "softmii" at all, so I dont realy know how much this can help, but if you can access the homebrew channel, and have a version of cIOS installed, you can try using Waninkoko's cIOS downgrader to replace your system menu, system menu IOS and MIOS. However, be carefull because it WILL remove preloader, so if that doesnt fix you , you'll have a more permanet brick.

Or, you could set it to use the homebrew channel and just use that for a while, retail disks will launch through the backup launcher so the only things you'd miss are things installed as channels(vc, wiiware, etc.).

3. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Sounds like you installed preloader without first downgrading.

Use anyregionchanger from inside the homebrew channel and follow the complete install of that then reinstall preloader and it should be fine.

4. Xrystal
    OP

Newcomer Xrystal Member

Canada
    I DID install AnyRegionChanger before installing Preloader yet it gave me this brick.

And if I were to choose not doing anything but use the Homebrew Channel to launch my disks, will I be able to access my saved games so I can back them up on my SD card?

Will re-installing AnyRegionChanger erase Preloader?

5. getrehl

Newcomer getrehl Advanced Member

United States
    Running ARC will install the system menu again and remove Preloader, but will not remove the hacks.ini file. There is a separate app to remove that.

6. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    xrystal: Using a loader from homebrew channel to launch backups will work with your saved games.

Yes, re-installing AnyRegionChanger will erase preloader and fix your system menu.

7. Xrystal
    OP

Newcomer Xrystal Member

Canada
    @koji2009 :
    By saved games, I meant if I will be able to access them as in going through Wii Settings. And the first time I used AnyRegionChanger didn't work and since I only have one chance at it, would you suggest me to download another version of AnyRegionChanger?

@getrehl :
    What exactly does hacks.ini do? I learned that it sets the hacks you have in Preloader but does it do anything else? And when I go in the hacks, it says something like there are no hacks. There aren't any hack list either.

8. pebls123

Member pebls123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yep, so i guess you have an choice to make either place using backup launcher and remain with a semi working wii or take the chance at reinstalling the system menu which will either fix everything or totally brick your wii.
    hmmm, what a decision, thank god im not in your shoes.

9. Xrystal
    OP

Newcomer Xrystal Member

Canada
    Geez, I'm really scared to totally brick my Wii =O
    Since I already tried using the AnyRegionChanger (before the brick) and it didn't really worked, should I get another version?
    Are there any requirements before I can run it to repair my brick?
    Can someone also tell me where to click and what to choose when I run it? I really don't want to mess up...

10. Jizmo09

Member Jizmo09 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Start over at the Phase 2 step and continue the install from there. Start with running Any Region Changer again and follow through to the end.

11. Xrystal
    OP

Newcomer Xrystal Member

Canada
    Did anyone try using AnyRegion Changer and it worked without bricking? If so, where did you get that app? From the SoftMii 2.1.1 Package?

12. blitzer320

Member blitzer320 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    listen i've installed softmii on three wiis now with the 2.1.1 pack what you need to do is go back from the part that tells you to use any region changer and continue from there any problems pm me or reply back to this thread and that goes for any problems

13. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Next time, get a hard-mod like I did.

14. menage730

Member menage730 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    look been there getting another arc might brick your wii you used the one from the softmii pack & you installed the starfall like hacks if you that worried & about reinstalling arc & you have a gc controller restart wii holding y & dowload the semi brick fix disk run for like 10 minutes just let it run you are not gonna see anything turn your wii off turn it back on you should have a brand new systemmenu if you downgraded to 3.2 if not run hacks remover make sure it fails then run arc again

15. Xrystal
    OP

Newcomer Xrystal Member

Canada
    @menage730:
    I tried holding Y on my GC Controller but it didn't go in recovery mode.

@blitzer320:
    Did you had the same brick I have? If so, did you use the AnyRegion Changer included in the latest SoftMii package? Because if you read my previous posts, it messed up my Wii the first time I used it...

I have two other questions:
    1. If I use AnyRegion Changer and I totally brick my Wii, can I use SaveMiiFrii to boot a AnyRegion Changer disk and redo the process?
    2. Can someone tell me the steps to use AnyRegion Changer? Because the instructions in the included SoftMii v.2.1.1 manual don't quite correspond.

Thanks!

16. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    Dude, use anyregionchanger mod05. DO NOT use any other ARC. That will break your Wii.

17. bin01

Member bin01 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    oh god, and to think that i was going to install softmii this week... i guess ill stick with starfall until bootmii is realeased

18. swf3

Banned swf3 Banned

United Kingdom
    softmii killed my wii too!
    it`s really not worth a wank imo

19. nyboy42

Newcomer nyboy42 Newbie

United States
    are you kidding me? the guide is thoroughly clear and well written....how could u mess up something as easy as that. I followed the instructions and it worked like a charm.....how are your grades in school?

20. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    Next time, He should read the instructions better [​IMG]