Hacking wii blank screen

skooby

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

Hope someone can help me out. I am no stranger to chipping consoles but I managed to kill my first wii tonight. The machine belongs to a friend so I feel really bad about it. I stripped the machine down and installed a wiikey. The install went smoothly but when I powered it up all I get is a blank screen. Everything else appears ok, green light, disc spins etc. The chip is now out and it still does the same. Any suggestions? All (both) connections to the drive look fine.

Thanks

Skooby

webjedi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, can only think of the obvious. Those points are small - be sure no solder is touching two points.

Suranwrap

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
best way to trouble shoot this, is to start at ground zero. and see if it works, if it does work without the chip, you may need to look at the Drive Chip to make sure it is compatible with the wii key. Is this an older wii?

skooby

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, thanks for the quick replies. As above the chip is out and the machine is still not working. There are definitely no bridges on the solder points. The machine itself is one of the very first machines(first week after release) and so is compatible with the wiikey. Unfortunately I never tried the machine before chipping but I have no reason to believe he is lying about it working beforehand.
Looks like I may have to get him a replacement machine.

skooby

Arakon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
try disconnecting the drive. if it still doesn't power on, chances are it's not the mod. if it does power on without drive, then you have a short somewhere.. i.e. spilled solder.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you still hear audio when you boot the machine?

If so, then your GPU has become disconnected or damaged somehow, sorry if that sounds bad. The first few firmware revisions for the Wii didn't enable the fan for cooling whilst the system was in standby mode, often leading to the machine overheating and damaging itself.

Perhaps your friend haddn't used the machine in quite a while and had left it in standby mode and fried it, which would make sense as to why he believes it was working the last time he had tried it. If you could ask him what version of Wii System Software he was running, that may hold a clue as to whether or not I'm on track with a possible issue.

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
Is this the first time the wii has run on this tv? Maybe it's not compatible with the video mode the wii is outputting.

Remember, the wiikey is only on the dvd-rom... so even if you do bridge points, the wii should still boot - just the drive won't accept / spin discs.

Unless you damaged something when you pulled it apart, I'd suggest trying a different tv.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.