Hacking Wii Black Screen on Boot, PriiLoader Installed, SysCheck Report Attached

MajoraMan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone. Today I was installing a new component video switcher in my game room, and when I turned on the Wii to test the video, I noticed that it was only booting to a black screen. I had dealt with this a few years ago and was able to resolve it by using BootMii to load the HBC and install some updated WAD files that fixed whatever had caused it. This time however I have been unable to boot into BootMii. I can see it flash by quickly when the system boots, but cannot seem to get it to stay up or register any menu inputs with the Power and Reset buttons. I was able to boot into Priiloader by holding Reset with the SD card removed, but from there I am only able to access the HBC, not the System Menu at all.

I thought maybe reinstalling/updating the Softmod might bruteforce fix the issue by updating every needed IOS, but the guide I was following said to first attempt to run the HackMii installer. This is where I noticed another issue, namely that the "Press 1 to Continue" message never pops up when starting HackMii. I followed the HackMii solutions guide to try and fix this but the issue persists. This makes me wonder if this is not an IOS issue in the first place. I ran SysCheck, but didn't notice anything out of the blue, although I am certainly no expert in that, and I have attached the SysCheck report. I want to make clear that I did not attempt to "Virginize" this console or anything like that, which I know will likely cause a brick. I have heard that the Bluetooth or Wifi modules dying could cause this, and have been wondering if that is the issue. The Bluetooth module seems to be working since once I am in Priiloader, the Wii Remote connects without any issue. The Wifi module is harder to test since I can't get to the setting menu to test the connection, and the location of the console in my house is sort of far from the router in the first place. This system was last working just a few months ago at the very least, and it hasn't been moved or tampered with in any way since then. Any help or suggestions that you guys have is greatly appreciated. I am not opposed to buying a new console if I need to, but I would like to exhaust all of the possible solutions before that.

Attachments

• SysCheck.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 128

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Your syscheck looks pretty decent, only your hbc is slightly outdated but certainly wouldn't be causing these issues.

Just to clarify, you have bootmii installed as boot2, and it currently briefly flashes on the screen before you access priiloader, right?

If so, go into the sd:/bootmii folder, there should be a bootmii.ini file iirc or similar config file, you can customize this or delete it all together. This sounds like it's configured to autoboot the system menu with a 0 or 1 second delay/timer. If you can confirm you have bootmii boot2, that would be great.

Anyway, assuming for a moment this is software related. First, double check to make sure you don't have the priiloader blackscreen system menu hack enabled.

Then you want to reinstall a 4.3U system menu wad, then reinstall priiloader afterwards. If this doesn't solve it, your problem is likely hardware related... but if you have bootmii as boot2, we can have you autoboot into a neek emulated nand so the console can still be used - more on this here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-re...ii-backups-arent-working.558562/#post-8953716

Edit : I helped someone in a similar situation yesterday here https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-with-bricked-nintendo-wii-preloader.587081/#post-9444399

Last edited by XFlak,

MajoraMan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so updates.

BootMii IS installed as Boot2, and changing the delay setting in the INI file made it stay on screen for long enough to access the menu within and boot straight to the HBC. So that is good. I have noticed that BootMii only seems to pop up if the SD card is inserted, otherwise the Wii boots to a black screen automatically, unless I trigger Priiloader.

From there I reinstalled the 4.3U System Menu Wad, and updated Priiloader as instructed. Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem. Priiloader is now version 0.9.1 instead of 0.8 so I know that worked, but I am still unable to access the System Menu. I did check the Hacks list to see if the Blackscreen hack was enabled, but it was not, neither before nor after the update.

I have not yet updated the HBC itself, but as you pointed out, that wouldn't cause this issue. I did notice that the Wifi icon on the HBC is constantly flashing, although as noted before, it is hard to say if this is an indication of the Wifi module having died, or just weak signal strength.

I don't really need the Wifi to work in this case, so if the emuNAND solution is possible I am fully open to that. Does it seem like that is the direction I should be leaning for this?

Last edited by MajoraMan,

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
You could try Modmii's region change guide to "change" to 4.3U. Good news is with bootmii boot2 you don't really need to worry about a full brick scenario.

The region change guide will have u reinstall other system files like region select, eula, bc, etc. I'm not sure if it will solve it for you but it can't hurt

If that fails, then you should try Modmii's sneek menu to set up sneek and an emulated nand (uneek+di specifically), or modmii's abstinence wizard can help you basically do the same thing

Reactions: jeannotte

MajoraMan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so the region change didn't solve the problem. I then decided to use ModMii to setup SNEEK, but after ModMii was done there was no guide to follow, and simply inserting the SD card and booting into BootMii didn't do anything different.

I assume there is some steps for setting up SNEEK that I am missing. What am I supposed to do after copying the files to my SD card?

Also, I am trying to use SNEEK and not UNEEK, since I don't currently have a USB drive connected to this Wii. Will that still work? Will I be able to load Wii and GCN games from the SD card like I can now? Or should I get a USB drive and use UNEEK instead?

Xcali

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
Did he tried ohneschwanzenegger method ? i have the same problem as this guy but i dont know if there is a way without doing a full nand restore or SNEEK EmuNand

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou