Wii black screen, no audio or video

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by ZombiePosessor, Jan 6, 2011.

Jan 6, 2011
  1. ZombiePosessor
    OP

Member ZombiePosessor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    OK, so I have a Wii in my possession that isn't modded, at least the owner says it isn't. It black screens on startup, no audio or video. He had let a classroom of kids use it on some worthless "come to school but do nothing" day. He said after he got it back, it no longer worked.

I'm thinking there's two things wrong with it:

One, the kids in the classroom thought they'd be cool and try and mod the system, and failed, creating a low-level brick. There's no preloader on it, I already checked, just in case.

Two, it's a hardware error. I don't have a wiimote for the console that is synced to it, so I can't check the bluetooth module. I haven't looked at the pins in the AV cable port yet to see if they're damaged. I used the broken console's power supply on my own Wii, it powered up just fine, so it's not the power supply. Green light comes on, but like I said, just a black screen. I'm going to try savemiifrii and see what happens then.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this if it is NOT modded in any way? He says nothing was installed on it, WiiWare or VC that he's aware of.

tl:dr - Stock Wii is blackscreening with no audio or video, wtf is wrong with it?

2. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    You opened the same topic a few days ago....

3. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I thought too I remembered saying one of the kids probably knocked it off the desk and to check if the bluetooth module had come lose.
    Guessing you wanted a software solution though and don't have the tools.
    Oh well, looking for a software solution aint gonna solve it unless one of em modded it badly which is very unlikely surely?

I reckon hardware.

Whats the number one component for being flaky in a wii, doesn't sit 100% true all the time, any big knock, it WILL pop off. Even when fitting it its like careful, careful, don't want it popping back off.

4. ZombiePosessor
    OP

United States
    This is weird... I don't remember starting this thread... the other one had more replies and stuff... I remember I originally posted it in the wrong forum, and asked to have it closed, perhaps it was moved instead of closed?

5. Donkey Plonk

United Kingdom
    Well anyway, since you've got 3 threads on it.
    Did you ever move forward with it and check any of the suggestions made to you out?

6. ZombiePosessor
    OP

United States
    I plugged it into a different TV, audio and video came up, the problem is the sensor bar port, I plugged in two diff sensor bars, and they don't have working LEDs when theyre plugged in to the busted port. Maybe it just needs re-soldered?

7. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Solution:
    light 2 candles, place them in front or on top of your tv approx. 25 cm apart.

Try it it works.

Or get a battery powered sensor bar.

8. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    I've seen videos of that done, looks crazy.

9. Donkey Plonk

United Kingdom
    Hehe, I've done that when I used to have a wireless bar and the batteries ran out. I still wanted to play, lol.
    Works a bloody treat

10. ZombiePosessor
    OP

United States
    OK, update on this thing...

I plugged it in with the "HD" cables you can buy for it, and it shows video! Now, I tried taking the battery out and resetting the CMOS, no luck, still only uses HD cables to display video even tho it is set to SDTV in the settings. Also, the sensor bar port does NOT work, I tried 3 different sensor bars and none would work, I checked the LEDs thru a cell phone camera and the sensor bars do not get power.

The WEIRDEST thing is, if I have ANOTHER wii turned on, I can use THAT Wii's sensor bar and it shows up on the broken Wii!! WTF?! The sensor bar is literally hooked up to ANOTHER WII and it WORKS on the broken one!!

ANY ideas as to what the hell is going on with this??

11. M1r0

Member M1r0 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The sensor bar doesn't have to be hooked up to the right wii, (only hooked up for power). You seriously could use candles (not joking) If it becomes a big problem, send it in to Nintendo, no Homebrew, so they can fix it.