Louse76

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
A friend sent me a link with pictures of a modchip installed on the Wii that allowed the Firmware to be dumped.

Anyone else seen this?

Link

More info later, I've gotta run!

BTW, images load slowly, I'll see if I can host them later maybe...

hanman

I'm a pretty lucky guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, looks like tehskeen cites wiinewz as the source, where alonetrio first posted the news.

this is the first step toward real wii homebrew
grog.gif
assuming someone actually releases the BIOS, or duplicates the experiment, that is.

richardo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Think so, eventually!

The initial teaser that wab released seems to show plain text readable filenames and such - perhaps this suggests its not even encrypted or signed in any way and modifying/reverse engineering could be just around the corner?

pandas0nic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i saw this earlier today also, but its not the BIOS, its the Nand Flash thats been dumped right, which is where the vc games and save games are stored i believe, its still a step forward tho, and will hopefuly lead to decrypting the VC.

Louse76

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
A friend of mine who told me about this initially told me that they had the full file hosted there initially but then took it down.

I'll see what I can do to get it from him (he already offered, I should have gotten it but was busy at work) and then post it here.

hanman

I'm a pretty lucky guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i saw this earlier today also, but its not the BIOS, its the Nand Flash thats been dumped right, which is where the vc games and save games are stored i believe, its still a step forward tho, and will hopefuly lead to decrypting the VC.

you mean this is the 512MB built in storage? well, that's not nearly as impressive, but could still be useful.

i suppose it could be MORE than the 512MB for saves and channels. perhaps the html files bricked PAL wiis claim not to be able to locate are there as well...

pandas0nic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yes correct its the 512mb internal storage otherwsie known as the Nand Flash, and yeah i agree its not quite the 'BIOS Dumped?' news originaly stated
lecture.gif
, but its gonna prove usefull for learning more and hackers
smile.gif

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Maybe if they dumped the nand flash with the VC games already on, maybe VC games will work on any wii.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Some really interesting news is starting to happen with the wii. I can see nintendo not expecting anyone to dump the nand flash and none of it being encrypted. I can see the wii being the next xbox 1. A hackers dream. Lets just hope they get some sort of media centre running on the wii
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay