Hacking Wii Backups from USB Dvd-Rom

gisel213

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While posting and reading the thread about the newer wii's with a drive that cant be
switched or desolderd to swap boards etc... I said i had an idea why not make a new
feature to the USB cios allow loading from usb dvd-roms thinking it would probably
make the game run at 6x or faster without jittery videos and slow loading on some
games... But little did i know it was already done i was informed by Mousex and
Fenrirwolf in the other thread thanks again....

The awesome app is uLoader 4.9B great app.... By Hermes

I did not know this because i use USB Loader GX on my 2 wii's and have cioscorp 3.6
on them just for fun like i said in the other thread.... But i have family and friends who
dont want the HDD and some say it looks complicated so they prefer disc's but they
have those newer wii's LU73 etc.... with that d3-2 crap

So i tried it on one of my wii's and i was surprised very nice work Hermes every game
worked.... I used a few external dvd burners and some old dvd-cd combo drives also
my lg-gdr 8164b drive i used to dump a games with using ide to usb adapters and they
all read perfectly...

But my testing on jittery videos and lag from disc was the cool part....

Super Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart Wii
Wario Land Shake It
Wii Sports Resort
New Super Mario Bros Wii......

and about 15 other games but the kicker was when i tried out Quantum of Solace being
able to play that game from a disc without the crazy lag when using a wii dvd-drive
at 3x now achieving 6x or whatever speed the usb dvd-drive is running on a softmod
now thats crazy rather funny....

I mean think about it nintendo changes the dvd drive so we change the dvd drive to usb
and loads even better than before on a softmod way faster than 3x....

So any way i went out and bought a new wii just cause i like know this now and always
wanted to play a game without the lag from disc on softmod. Also bought a low profile
slim dvd-rom that looks like a usb hdd and only has the usb cord no power brick or
other hookup needed and opens from the top like a portable cd player i have it sitting
on top of my flat laying wii like i would have a HDD normaly and voila its playing backups
like a chip normally and i also gave my friends some external dvd drives and set them up
and now they are happy.......

But my thing is like why wasnt there some big thread or section about this... I mean it's
the answer to 6x from dvd drive on a softmod for all the noobs who make 50 threads
about why no 6x blah blah blah we know the rest... or is it beacause alot people are all
on usb Hdd's or what????

It's the also the answer to backups on a newer wii's from a disc drive at normal speed or
faster not sure of the speed..... But also saves you from buying a drive to swap out
and keeps you from opening the wii which softmod is all about .... It only plays backups
but if you want to really play an original use the wii's internal drive a no brainer....

Literally tons of people are sitting on drives at home in the attic,or a old pc not beiing used
anymore which are perfect for this and don't even know it just like i did and i bet if they
were disc users on softmod they would try it guaranteed.....

So while my wife and kids play my other two wii's on hdd's I'm gonna have fun with my
new wii on the disc side just for a while to see what works and what does not and i did
not see a usb dvd-drive game compatibility list for uloader 4.9B unless I am blind...

This is not new news but like i said i did not know about usb-dvd loading at normal speed
like originals on softmod...........

If there is a thread about this here on gbatemp someone point me in the direction i dont
really use uloader but i might start learning..... I know its easy but Usb loader gx is what
i have always used....

Thoughts comments let's hear them..... let's hope we do not hear anyone else complaining
about not getting 6x loading on a softmod anymore.....

wulfie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had never thought of using a usb dvdrom in place of the wii dvdrom, it IS a smart idea, but I'm sure most would rather use a usb hdd since you don't have to burn anything, just throw game on hdd and play. That and most of us like the idea of being able to switch games w/o even having to get up off the couch
wink.gif
I guess if you're old-school, then yes, usb dvdrom would be the way to go, at least you'll get higher than 3x read speeds.

gisel213

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now thats a mature reply which is what we need here I just thought this needed to be
up in the air for those still only using disc's.... Off topic nice avatar LOL....

gisel213

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also forgot to add something else if d_a letter could add usb dvd loading from
the disc channel into the new cioscorp some how now that would probaly drive
ninty nutz now that's something to dream about rendering their new wii's drive
protection useless from the disc loading side anyways...

But for now uLoader will do such a awesome app
yaywii.gif

wulfie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cfgloader can load discs as well, whether or not it can load from a usb dvdrom is another story. I don't have a usb dvdrom to test it out on though.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
gisel213 said:
Also forgot to add something else if d_a letter could add usb dvd loading from
the disc channel into the new cioscorp some how now that would probaly drive
ninty nutz now that's something to dream about rendering their new wii's drive
protection useless from the disc loading side anyways...

But for now uLoader will do such a awesome app
yaywii.gif
I guess Da Letter A isn't the one who'll do this. He may know much things about IOS, but IOS can't do that. But SNEEK can exactly do this, have a look at it. And Ninty won't care...they still have the BCA-Protection, which will get annoying for all Users that don't use a loader.

gisel213

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
usb-dvd rom amazon

This is the cheap drive i bought but where i got it it was 23.99 free shipping...

Just showing what my drive looks like those older ones are wrapped in plastic in case the drive
ever goes up not likely though...

On sneek i'll check into that very interesting what you can do with nand emulation...

Reactions: trigao

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nice review, gisel123. I've read on the USB loader releases page about this feature, but I didn't think it would increase the loading time. That certainly makes it an interesting choice for those who have a good pack of backup DVD's lingering around.

If USB loading wasn't around, I'd say this is the best way to avoid all burning problems because of the wii's picky DVD drive. And by itself, it's certainly props to Hermes's programming skills.

...However, that's just the thing: loading from USB is around. And it's simply more convenient (no switching discs needed) and if you have a reasonable game collection, it's also more cost-efficient. As such, I think that USB loading bothers nintendo just a bit more than using an alternative DVD-player.

(off-topic: I was just checking out Hermes's page, and it seems that his loader just hit version 4.9C)

gisel213

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
Nice review, gisel123. I've read on the USB loader releases page about this feature, but I didn't think it would increase the loading time. That certainly makes it an interesting choice for those who have a good pack of backup DVD's lingering around.

If USB loading wasn't around, I'd say this is the best way to avoid all burning problems because of the wii's picky DVD drive. And by itself, it's certainly props to Hermes's programming skills.

...However, that's just the thing: loading from USB is around. And it's simply more convenient (no switching discs needed) and if you have a reasonable game collection, it's also more cost-efficient. As such, I think that USB loading bothers nintendo just a bit more than using an alternative DVD-player.

(off-topic: I was just checking out Hermes's page, and it seems that his loader just hit version 4.9C)

USB hdd is more convenient yes true but on the fact of it bothering them more i say it's more of the drive
because they went thru all that to fix the dvd drive so no softmod disc loading was possible but this brings
it back which is more of a threat at 6x speed now back to square one where the system is still open to dvd
loading and usb loading without a modchip which was not possible before on these new d3-2 wiis well
uloader was around just didnt know about usb dvd loading cause all those pages and posts say disc drive
softmod no longer works which isnt true.....

But the capacity of usb hdd's make it worse vs burning disc's like you said so the pros and cons of both
bother ninty quite a bit but what can they do make all games like pspgo d/l only or make the usb 1.1 so
all the instruments and microphones lag when you use them LOL.........

But my main point is those lovely d3-2 wiis any average joe can go buy a brand spakin new one just like
the old days softmod it get a shitty old external dvd-rom , dig one up or buy a new cheap one and be playin
backups in no time on a system that supposed halting disc loading..... Also a very good point you made
about not worrying about media type another good thing....

But for hardcore disc user's eat your heart out.......... Bout to try that new version of uLoader thx 4 the
info....

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gisel213 said:
But my thing is like why wasnt there some big thread or section about this... I mean it's
the answer to 6x from dvd drive on a softmod for all the noobs who make 50 threads
about why no 6x blah blah blah we know the rest... or is it beacause alot people are all
on usb Hdd's or what????

Loading games from a hard drive is more convenient, the only problem right now is there are some games that don't work and some that need messing around with to get working. Loading from usb dvd has the same problem, at least with a hard drive you can save the settings required on the drive (as long as you format with FAT32 of course).

The way I see the difference between hard drive and dvd.

1. hard drive: load channel, select game from list, press some buttons.
2. dvd: load channel, take game from shelf, remove from case, insert game, press some buttons.

Selecting a game from a list is no harder than selecting the game from the shelf.

If they can't cope with putting games on the hard drive then they'll have problems setting the options on the games to get them to work.

A modded console is probably their best bet or buying games.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
wulfie said:
even easier, install priiloader and forwarder, turn wii on, select game from list, play
wink.gif

Someone who thinks hard drives are too complicated will probably brick their wii doing that.
If you do it for them then they'll own you forever to sort out problems.

You probably won't even make it out without them moaning it doesn't look the same as it did before & they can't access the today and tomorrow channel anymore.

wulfie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
smf said:
wulfie said:
even easier, install priiloader and forwarder, turn wii on, select game from list, play
wink.gif

Someone who thinks hard drives are too complicated will probably brick their wii doing that.
If you do it for them then they'll own you forever to sort out problems.

You probably won't even make it out without them moaning it doesn't look the same as it did before & they can't access the today and tomorrow channel anymore.

so set the home button to PRUNE, and they'll be able to get to the wii menu

gisel213

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow after more testing found that Ghostbusters runs from disc straight up perfectly
from uLoader just like when using a hdd no need for the eject trick anymore funny
though from disc channel under cioscorp 3.6 you get error 002b with the blue screen....

Well it was always said the speed affected this game from disc but usb dvd-rom fixes
this..... Thx again Hermes

Man this really needs to be added to Cioscorp.....

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Its not something that can be just added to cios, the system menu doesnt natively detect your usb devices. Also its more for peeps that cant read dvd-r's in their drives. Its more convenient putting 8 cisos on a disc and doing it that way. as Backups are semi redundant cause 9 of of ten times people will choose the usb hard drive. As for bricking. Installing a cios and copying a loader to sd card or usb hard drive is something my 8 year old can do. He even updated cios by himself thinking he was leet. (the higher the number the better...he said...lol) So its not something anyone should have difficultys with. Although playing games off cdr is pretty novel. NSMB fits nicely, with room for 1 more
smile.gif

gisel213

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tHciNc said:
Its not something that can be just added to cios, the system menu doesnt natively detect your usb devices. Also its more for peeps that cant read dvd-r's in their drives. Its more convenient putting 8 cisos on a disc and doing it that way. as Backups are semi redundant cause 9 of of ten times people will choose the usb hard drive. As for bricking. Installing a cios and copying a loader to sd card or usb hard drive is something my 8 year old can do. He even updated cios by himself thinking he was leet. (the higher the number the better...he said...lol) So its not something anyone should have difficultys with. Although playing games off cdr is pretty novel. NSMB fits nicely, with room for 1 more
smile.gif

Love the post solid info and no flaming so far in this thread.... playing from cd-r???? I'm using dvd-r and dvd+r didn't
think you could use cd-r.....

gisel213

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another test brawl on a dual layer disc everything seems to work no lag on loading
or jittery vids either... also did not get the cant read disc where you would have to eject
and reinsert the disc.....

I read there was a dual layer bug in cios rev14 which is on my system have not updated
to rev 19 or above yet... But Hermes cios seems to run this just fine pretty cool....

How well this is running these old problematic games/ issues due to 3x limitation makes
me wonder why this was not the 1st method to softmod disc loading it would have given
ninty a hard time figuring out how to block it.. well as for me i'm enjoyin this on my brand
new wii haha niinty back 2 testing......

Can't say it enough HERMES is da man!!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)