Hacking Wii Backup Burning in Ubuntu

teamsupreme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone. I'm back with more Ubuntu help. I'm trying to burn a SSBB DVD5 iso...and it burns...but won't load...I am using wiigator backup loader 0.3, and I have 3 brands of DVDs: Memorex DVD+R, SONY DVD+R, and Maxell DVD-RW. Any tips?

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you bitsetting with dvd+-rw tools i believe its in synaptic and rw disc from what i've known have issues with burning backups

Stephanie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm no expert on burning Wii games, but I'd put the burn speed down to at most 8x.

4x should get you covered, though. -R discs are the best to use. You'll most likely get better results. Working results at least.

teamsupreme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright...I just need to know...What burning application works best with Wii ISOs on Ubuntu...And all I have for -R discs is DVD-RW...

Tetram

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I use ImgBurn with Wine : works like a charm if and only if I force the detection of my reader in the config menu of Wine (just click "auto detect" in the "reader" panel, then apply, then detect the reader in ImgBurn).

nebiru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe try a combination of dvd+rw-booktype-dvdrom and growisofs.

Not sure but I think dvd+rw tools require suid root, might even be able to add the command to k3b

Stephanie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nebiru said:
Maybe try a combination of dvd+rw-booktype-dvdrom and growisofs.

Not sure but I think dvd+rw tools require suid root, might even be able to add the command to k3b
May you further elaborate? Cuz I all I have right now are +RW's. Maybe I can get games to work with this information. Thanks.

fishears

fishears
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
the easiest thing to do is use -R media - all the standard ubuntu apps will burn working images onto -R
i've got nero linux installed on intrepid (i know, it's a bad, bad closed-source app but it lets you change book-type easily and i just like the interface)
never had a bad burn using nero

EriktheRed

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
By far the best burning app for *nix (IMHO) is K3B. It never chokes on anything. If you use the Burn DVD ISO button from the main menu when it launches and point to the ISO it will bitch about the Wii disc not being a valid ISO image, but it'll let you burn anyway. I use TDK DVD-R media and I've NEVER had a bad burn yet (50+ discs now).

joda

Trophies
XP
Country
I booted into a windows partition on my ubuntu box and permanently set book type to DVD-ROM with imgburn. Afterwards i can burn working Wii/GC-backups with K3B under ubuntu.

I had to flash my drive first with a custom firmware to allow for the book type setting though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hello everyone