Hardware Wii asking for update on System Menu 4.0?

personager

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a modded Wii which is on System Menu 4.0E and I put in Super Smash Brothers Brawl (original) and the Wii asked for an upgrade. I then put in Okami (original) and Super Mario Galaxy (burned) and the same thing happend for both of them (I put in WarioWare Smooth Moves (burned) after that and it did not ask for an upgrade).
I've upgraded to 4.0E through Nintendo and have Homebrew Channel, DVDX and cIOS Rev10 installed (and IOS35) [I installed all these things after I upgraded to 4.0E via BannerBomb and BootMii]. I have a bunch of emulators, WAD Manager and few other applications on my SDHC card installed. Also, I have a 3 WADs installed (via WAD Manager).
Anybody have any idea why this System Upgrade message is coming up? Also, if I upgrade will it have any side effects on my and/or stop letting me use or block any "non-legal" applications?
Any opinions and answers are greatly appreciated

Thanks

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Same thing for me today!

PAL upgraded to 4.0 with HBC 1.0.1, cIOSrev10 and bootmii as boot2
Loaded retail Animal Crossing in this morning and was asked to upgrade to play??

....panic set in, and I launched thru GeckOS
wacko.gif

any ideas?

personager

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can any run game through Gecko 1.9.0.1 as an alternative method but I just want to why this is happening and updating will have any side effects.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The games you mentioned do not contain System Menu 4.0, so there is no way for the games to force malicious (to homebrew) updates on you. (Heck, they predate System Menu 3.3, so there are no homebrew thwarting attempts!) When a disc prompts for an update, it compares your system files and their version with those on the disc, not Nintendo's update servers.

This merely means something is outdated or missing. For future games, I would suggest using Preloader's or StartPatch's ability to block disc updates. (You can install missing IOSes via WAD Manager.)

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If you use the updates on your disc, something will be installed or overwritten. I cannot vouche for the safety of updating from the disc, since it might delete some mods (i.e.- CIOSCORP).

Since you updated through Nintendo, I have no clue what the discs could be prompting for. These are the more significant system titles on Okami and Brawl, if that helps. (Galaxy actually has an older update.)
BOOT2 v2
IOS11 v10
IOS12 v6
IOS13 v10
IOS15 v257
IOS17 v512
IOS20 v12
IOS21 v514
IOS22 v722
IOS28 v1288
IOS30 v1040
IOS31 v1040
IOS33 v1040
IOS34 v1039
IOS35 v1040
IOS36 v1042
bc v2
MIOS v5

personager

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decided to update from the disk prompt. I turned WiiConnect24 off and put in Okami and I accepted the update. It updated instantly and let me play the game. My homebrew and other applications are still intact. I can also still install WADs. Everything's working as it did before the update (other than it letting me play Okami, of course). Looks like it just install the IOS needed to run the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte