Wii arrived! - want to mod! Please help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by devz2k, Apr 8, 2008.

Apr 8, 2008
  1. devz2k
    OP

Newcomer devz2k Member

United Kingdom
    so i just got my nintendo wii. i put my serial number in the wii tracker website and it says that my drive is most likely GC2-D2B and that my pins are cut. please can someone tell me what is the best modchip that is available for this drive and also i do not want to solder so what is my best option? i heard about those wiiclip... can i buy modchips that are soldered onto the clip and just plug into my console and start playing? MY PINS ARE CUT - what can i do about this?? please help thanks

2. boxhunter91

Newcomer boxhunter91 Advanced Member

Australia
    IF you do no not want to solder get someone else to do it? Get a Wasabi Chip best chip out IMO. If you want that Wii Clip im preety sure it's only for D2c? Good Luck

3. devz2k
    OP

Newcomer devz2k Member

United Kingdom
    ohh is the wiiclip only for D2C!! ohh i need to restore the pins anyway right? cos according to wii tracker it says that my pins are most likely cut. i do not know how to solder at all. is ther anything else like the wiiclip (plug in and play) for D2B drives?

4. boxhunter91

Newcomer boxhunter91 Advanced Member

Australia
    That I wouldn't know. Wait for future replies from other people.

5. devz2k
    OP

Newcomer devz2k Member

United Kingdom
    ohh rite, what dvd's are needed to burn backups on? any specific ones i should buy and is any dvd writer okay?

6. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    If your pins are cut, a wasabi chip would be best. It uses different soldering points.
    Any good dvd media should do. A lot of people recommend Verbatim discs. I'm using TDK DVD+R, never had a failed disc

7. devz2k
    OP

Newcomer devz2k Member

United Kingdom
    i researched on the wlip... is that any good? it says that it is compatible with D2B Drives which is what my wii has and also come in model A and model B for not cut and cut legs. can i just attach the modchip of my choice to the wlip and then plug in and go?

8. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Wlip are said to suck.

Btw Wasabi should use alternative solder points which means you wont have to remake the 3 legs.
    And it supports every chipset.

So ill say wait for the WiiClip team to make a Wiiclip for wasabi and then you got all drives covered in one.

9. devz2k
    OP

Newcomer devz2k Member

United Kingdom
    what do u meen by 'And it supports every chipset'. what is a wasabi? is it like a modchip which will work on my wii? basically i do not want to do any soldering. say if i do get a wlip - what is the worst that can happen if things went wrong say the wlip came off? would this mess up my whole wii or will it just stop reading backups thats all?

10. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Also I suggest opening the Wii and verified what you really have. The WiiTracker lied to me twice and to many other people before.

Also now there is no good truly solderless mod, there are some that you don't have to solder anything to the Wii, but none that are actually 'solderless'.

11. devz2k
    OP

Newcomer devz2k Member

United Kingdom
    okay, what is the best modchip that requires the least soldering possible and is easy to install, worth it for the price.

12. kedest

Netherlands
    There are different Wii models. The gaming hardware is the same, but their DVD drive chips are different. Different chips require different modchips. But now Wasabi is the first modchip to work on all Wii models.

13. devz2k
    OP

Newcomer devz2k Member

United Kingdom
    ohh right, is that also easy to install? i meen how much soldering do i have to do? also is it updatable. i do not really know what updatable means please can someone explain?

14. kedest

Netherlands
    it should be quite easy to install. It requires 5 or 9 wires, depending on your wii model. And it is updateable by DVD.
    The modchip has its own firmware which controls the chip. This firmware can be updated. For example if Nintendo finds a way to detect modchips, you can counteract that by installing a new modchip firmware that makes it undetectable again.
    This happened a while ago with mario galaxy. it had new protection, which required all modchip makers to come up with updates

15. devz2k
    OP

Newcomer devz2k Member

United Kingdom
    ohh right cool, according to wii tracker i have a D2B Drive, how many wires will i have to solder in this case and how small is the actual modchip and how small are the soldering points?

16. kedest

Netherlands
    that would require 5 wires. here is a pic of such an install:
    [​IMG]

17. devz2k
    OP

Newcomer devz2k Member

United Kingdom
    does it matter whether my drive has cut pins or not? if it does have cut pins do i have to restore them first or just do what the pic shows and bobs ya uncle? also what size is this modchip because i dont want to be soldering very small points cos number one i aint good at soldering, and number two i dont mind soldering if its pretty easy.

18. kedest

Netherlands
    this chip uses different soldering points, so the cut legs don't matter
    but the points are pretty small, as you can see on the picture.

19. devz2k
    OP

Newcomer devz2k Member

United Kingdom
    oh right, i rather just wait then cos im not good at soldering at all, and smaller points will make it even harder. is a yaosm modchip any good? is it updatable too?

20. kedest

Netherlands
    YAOSM is not an actual modchip, it's a piece of open source modchip software you put on a PIC chip. That's just a generic chip which can be used for many things. And in the case of yaosm, it works as a wii mod chip. The PIC chip itself will cost you about 1 euro, maybe 2. The YAOSM software is free. And you'll need a programmer to program the chip with the software. You can build the programmer yourself out of a few simple parts, or buy one from ebay. Such an opensource chip is by far the cheapest way to mod your wii.
    however, yaosm does use the 'old' soldering points. On a wii with cut legs, it is more difficult