Wii analog to digital audio

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by dre111nl, Mar 3, 2007.

Mar 3, 2007

Wii analog to digital audio by dre111nl at 1:52 PM (1,564 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. dre111nl
    OP

Newcomer dre111nl Newbie

Netherlands
    Hi,

I have a LCD HDTV and I want to buy a Wii component video cable, to use the 480p resolution.

But.... the Wii has no digital audio. [​IMG] This videocomponent cable has only the red and white audio jacks for analog audio. But my TV has only digital audio at the video component input. [​IMG]

So, I can connect the analog (red and white jacks) to my receiver, but this is not what I wanted to do, because I cannot have the radio/cd/... playing while people are playing.

Has anyone ran into the same problem... and found a solution?
    Is there a converter?

My TV also has a DVI, so maybe a component video+audio to DVI converter?

Thanks for your help! [​IMG]

2. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    That seems awfully strange that your component input doesn't have standard R/L audio inputs but only digital...

My TV has the proper inputs but I'm running it directly to my receiver so that the audio doesn't have to go an extra step, theoretically holding quality and PLII status since I don't know how my TV would transfer the sound.

Maybe you need some sort of input switcher... I know they have that kind of thing at Best Buy, don't know what the kind of store you'd go to in your country is.

3. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I would say very easily, get an A/V extension cable and connect it at one end to the red and white audio jacks and the other where your TV has an analog audio input.
    I know that some TV sets have the audio input placed far away from the componet input, but it should be OK if you use an extension without messing around with your Wii cables.

4. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States

Yeah, but in that case will that audio input be linked to the video input he's using? If he's selected "Component 1" as his video source he'll get no audio if his audio plugs are in "Aux 2" or whatever.

If I were the OP (like I inferred before) I'd just forget about playing a CD or the radio while you're playing a game. Why would you want to do that anyway? If you want to listen to the radio just turn the audio off on the game... Otherwise listen to the audio on the game.

5. dre111nl
    OP

Newcomer dre111nl Newbie

Netherlands
    I re-checked the TV and the manual. With the component video there is only digital audio.
    But the TV has also a DVI input, analog+digital with a analog audio input (the red and white jacks).

So, I spent the afternoon surfing on the net, looking for some cables or converters.

It seems that there are cables which convert from component video (three jacks) to DVI. I think I'll go for a cable like that.
    But first see what the results of the 480p is.
    I think for Wii Sports it won't be that spectacular. Maybe with Opera the websites will be more readable.

Thanks for your feedback and ideas!

6. arthurkok2

Member arthurkok2 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Just connect it to a stereo. I mean, you wouldn't the radio and the cd and the wii all blaring sound at once at you... [​IMG]

7. Perplexer

Member Perplexer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I know the Wii doesn't have a digital audio signal available at the A/V jack... and chances are, it doesn't have one internally either.

Your only choice looks to be an expensive external A/D converter, like the one HERE.

8. dre111nl
    OP

Newcomer dre111nl Newbie

Netherlands
    Yes, that's what I'm looking for. [​IMG]
    Thanks!