WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
I have an adapter that got loose so now I should determine the polarity of wii female 12v dc port and the adapter's 12v output cables... I'm on vacation so I don't have any multimeters...

Of the cable, possibly unshielded cable is the ground... but can't estimate for the port in the wii which looks like this...

..___
/......|
|..O..|
|......|
|..O..|
-------

So could someone help me? Also what happens if I give the 12v dc in wrong polarity to the wii? A burned fuse? More serious damage, nothing?

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiCrazy said:
..___
/......|
|..O..| -
|......|
|..O..| +

-------

And never change +/-, that can damage your Wii!

I'm not sure, but i think there is a soldered fuse in the near of the dc connector.
I think there is nothing that protect the voltage regulator if you swap + and - and the fuse is to slow to protect anything.

Edit:
Yep, PWR11 is the fuse:
http://wiire.org/images/4/4a/Wii_mb_top.jpg

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Thanks!
Dumb me, actually verified it. It's written on the back of the ac adapter... near the 45 degree edge is negative and the other one positive...

Now I need to determine the polarity of the two cables out of the adapter... One got a white plastic shield and the other one is just made of wound thin wires. Maybe I should find an electricity shop and borrow their multimeter to determine this.

edit : If I only got a led and a big resistor...

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Me wouldn't want to risk it would rather just get a new adapter all together its cheaper than a blown up Wii
smile.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
kobykaan said:
Me wouldn't want to risk it would rather just get a new adapter all together its cheaper than a blown up Wii
smile.gif

Well wii accesories are not much common here, though I could buy one from dealextreme or similar shopping sites. Actually two times got it right and kept it sticked into the ac port of the wii. This time because of haste I just pulled it off the plug... Usually I move the power adapter and the wii together
tongue.gif

Anyway, new one is not the option at the moment. I'll look around to find a shop who has a multimeter...

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiCrazy said:
It's written on the back of the ac adapter
He he he, cool.

I used a multimeter and two cables to check it and - yes - it's also printed on all my three power supply's too.
biggrin.gif

Ts ts ts.

For the problem with the cables i can't help, all power supply's here are ok and i didn't cut my cables.
But if you know how to open a power supply without damage the cover i can check it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters