Wii 4.0U corrupt system file error

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by LittLeLives, Jun 28, 2011.

Jun 28, 2011
  1. LittLeLives
    OP

Newcomer LittLeLives Member

United States
    Before I mess up my Wii any further, I don't suppose someone can help me regain access to my Wii's System Menu?
    I have access to Boot Mii and Preloader and can boot up the Homebrew Channel from the SD card slot. I can even still play games in the drive through Gecko, so I'd like to believe I'm not completely screwed; I just can't access any channels from the system menu.
    I can't get to maintenance mode as the error message appears before the health warning.

It's been a long time since I last touched my Wii outside of the occasional party, and I lost my sense of what I should and shouldn't do with a softmodded Wii. Today, I felt like accessing the Wii Shop Channel, but to do that I used the very dated method of updating the shop channel with an old HBC elf called Wii SCU. After it failed to install, I tried again, but this time deciding to update/install everything I could, thinking that I'd need to update everything. This included installing a handful of IOS's with -trucha (I don't even know what that means) and installing and updating the News/Weather/Mii channels. When I tried to return to the system menu afterwards, I was met with the "System files are corrupted" screen.

So, not really sure what to do at this point or how to diagnose what exactly went wrong/needs to be fixed. Any ideas? If you need me to grab exact version numbers of software or anything, I can. No NAND, sorry.

Thanks in advance.

2. DJPlace

Member DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

United States
    if i rember. if you don't have a nand backed up then your screwed... but i could be wrong...

3. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    Its the system menu IOS or the menu itself thats corrupt. I had this once or twice, but if you have access to HBC you could use an app like MMM (MultiModManager) to re-install the IOS and the System Menu. If you do reinstall the menu you will have to reinstall Preloader/Priiloader too. There could be a simpler answer/solution but Im gonna be honest its been a while and I can't remember for sure. I doubt all is lost though

You could try reinstalling a clean (non-trucha) SM IOS for starters (IOS60 I believe)

4. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    You reinstalled ios60 and lost the patch used by preloader. Reinstall system ios, reinstall system menu, install priiloader = fixed

5. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    Thanks Mauifrog, I knew it was something like that but its been a long time since Ive encountered it [​IMG]

6. LittLeLives
    OP

United States
    So I reinstalled IOS60 (though I also installed IOS16, IOS38 and IOS61 from last night, do I fix these, too?) and installed 4.1U all from MMM.
    Have Preloader up and running, though I had to change the hacks.ini to work with 4.1U.
    Everything seems to work fine except...
    1) Screen goes completely black trying to access Wii Shop Channel. Updated with MMM, no difference.
    2) When I turn my Wii on, I'm greeted by BootMii. I have Preloader set to open straight to the system menu. Doesn't bother me too much, but if it can be helped...
    If it matters, preloader is set to boot with IOS60.

Thanks again, all.

7. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    post a sys check if possible. this will help us in trying to figure out your problems. an did/have you used modmii? if not after posting sys check. this might help you fix whats wrong, an do you have ios 58.. the newer homebrew an apps run using this ios.

8. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    You just need to delete or rename the bootmii folder on the root of your SD card. Changing the settings file is a viable alternative.

9. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I'm assuming you don't want to see bootmii? If so, download "Bootmii Configuration Editor" and use that to set bootmii to autoboot to System Menu. Alternatively, just rename the bootmii folder on your SD.

Also, what version of preloader are you using? It sounds like you have 0.29, which is horribly outdated.

10. LittLeLives
    OP

United States
    My sysCheck results are in the spoiler.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Installed IOS56 with no patches through MMM. Was able to access the Shop Channel afterwards.
    I also set the delay on BootMii to 0, so that fixed that.

And yes, I'm on preloader v.29. How should I go about updating?

11. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    your SysCheck suggests you need to update more than just preloader...check out Modmii...link in my sig (or the stickies at the top of the forum)....run the wizard: it will get you where you want to go.

12. LittLeLives
    OP

United States
    Done and done.
    For reference, here's the ModMii guide I followed.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Thanks again, everyone.