Hacking wii 4.0 not really a real storage solution

fst312

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
today i decided since i'v been 4.0 for a while now decided to download a couple of wiiware wads of coarse i knew i was going to need to use the sd card.ok so i wanted to see what midnight bowling was like a good 300 blocks got used on this.i put it in my 2gb sd card so i can install some more wads to the system menu.ok now i had about 80 blocks left on my wii and went to my sd card to launch midnight bowling and guess what it didn't want to launch because my wii didn't have at least 300 blocks to make it run.

so yes 4.0 system menu is a storage solution but only if you decide to play most or all your games through the sd card.

i have to go off topic here for a while and guess what the 4.1 update will end up being instead of just being a security update whenever it comes out.my guess is it will be to watch dvds on the wii or through the sd card like how mplayer CE or if its not an update kind of thing nintendo will just make a channel to download for this.

GolemdX

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
parashep.com
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, of course the games don't run directly from the SD, that would create many problems.

Why not copy most of your games to the SD? You would only need around 350 free blocks on the Wii to be able to play almost any game off of the SD card, you can still have a fair bit of WiiWare.

fst312

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GolemdX

thats true but i would have liked to be able to have my most played games out of the sd card.i only have at this moment two on the sysyem menu Defend Your Castle and Bit Trip Beat.i guess i'm stuck using the Nand so the say that is what the sd card feature does.

fst312

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you know what i don't really want to hurt my wii's Nand so i'm going to be stuck moving the games i want to play from my sd card memory to the wii system menu.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
fst312 said:
you know what i don't really want to hurt my wii's Nand so i'm going to be stuck moving the games i want to play from my sd card memory to the wii system menu.

Actually, assuming no error correction or wear leveling (i.e. treating the entire NAND as one block) and 100,000 writes, if you played 27 vc/wiiware games a day it would take 10 years for you to wear it out. Hopefully Nintendo is smart enough to use wear leveling and put in plenty of spare blocks which would increase that number considerably.

fst312

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
fst312 said:

Actually, assuming no error correction or wear leveling (i.e. treating the entire NAND as one block) and 100,000 writes, if you played 27 vc/wiiware games a day it would take 10 years for you to wear it out. Hopefully Nintendo is smart enough to use wear leveling and put in plenty of spare blocks which would increase that number considerably.

what do you mean by 100,000 writes are you saying moving games from sd to wii over and over count as using the NAND.if so what on the wii that we do doesn't use the NAND.so far i'm thinking right now all the hacking i ever done uses the wiis NAND.so in truth even if it take 10 years for the wii to wear out as long as we use certain hacks we are using the NAND.maybe using the homebrew channel doesn't us the systems NAND but that is the only thing i can think of right now and maybe also playing games from the system menu.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
fst312 said:
nl255 said:
fst312 said:

what do you mean by 100,000 writes are you saying moving games from sd to wii over and over count as using the NAND.if so what on the wii that we do doesn't use the NAND.so far i'm thinking right now all the hacking i ever done uses the wiis NAND.so in truth even if it take 10 years for the wii to wear out as long as we use certain hacks we are using the NAND.maybe using the homebrew channel doesn't us the systems NAND but that is the only thing i can think of right now and maybe also playing games from the system menu.

I mean each individual block (typically 8K or 16K) in the NAND can be written to at least 100,000 times. In addition (assuming Nintendo is using a memory chipset similar to those used in most flash drives), there are a bunch of spare blocks on the NAND chip as well as hardware to detect if a block can't be written to anymore and automatically replace it with a spare block. In fact, that 512MB of internal storage might actually be using a 700MB chip. Not to mention wear leveling which spreads the writes around so that a single block doesn't get written to all the time while others never do. The numbers I gave (27 wiiware/vc games from sd per day for 10 years) do not take those factors into account, as it is much easier to do the math if you treat the entire NAND as only having one block. The point is that you shouldn't worry too much about the 4.0 run wiiware/vc games from SD feature wearing out your NAND as it will probably outlast the rest of the components in your system. Still, you might want to only put rarely played wiiware/vc games on SD, if only because of the slower loading time (that is what I do).

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
Majinchuck1 said:
So why does playing from the memory card mess up the nand but playing straight from the wii doesnt?
Because every time you play from the SD it copies the game to the NAND first. So it's writing to the NAND before playing the game.

Apekop

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Richy Freeway said:
Majinchuck1 said:
So why does playing from the memory card mess up the nand but playing straight from the wii doesnt?
Because every time you play from the SD it copies the game to the NAND first. So it's writing to the NAND before playing the game.

didnt know that yet. Thats pretty retarded.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apekop said:
Richy Freeway said:
Majinchuck1 said:

didnt know that yet. Thats pretty retarded.

What's even worse is marcan totally called it like a month and a half ago (http://hackmii.com/2009/02/why-the-wii-will-never-get-any-better/) and said nintendo would rip off a temporary 300 or so blocks and do this since the architecture of the system itself is shit for legitimate outside storage without a complete and total structural overhaul which nintendo WILL NOT do, mainly because they don't have to and it would cost them more money in the long run then it would earn them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol