WII 3.3U Hard Modded - Just Dance 2 Black Screen

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sbihue, May 10, 2011.

May 10, 2011
  1. sbihue
    OP

Newcomer sbihue Newbie

United States
    Hi,

I recently plugged in the WII (was tucked away for more than 18 months) on 3.3U (modded with a Wasabi, I think) and tried to play a DVD of recently backed up ISO of Just Dance 2. The title shows up in the home page but when I select the game, I get a black screen.

Thinking it was the media, I tried playing older games that were backed up more than a year ago and they all played fine. I tried burning the ISO using both DVD+R (Verbatim) and DVD-R (TDK) at 4X/2X/1X without success. Used Wiu v1.1 to patch the ISO from PAL ---> NTSC and use BrickBlocker without success.

I don't want to update the console to a later version and loose the ability to play all the previously backed up games (as some have reported).

What am I missing!!!!

Thanks
    SB

2. dn_angel000

Member dn_angel000 Phantom User

United States
    U may need 2 update ur IOSs!!

3. saloalea

Newcomer saloalea Member

Canada
    You need IOS58. Keep in mind, the only thing officially updating to 4.3U breaks is partial region-free supported by your hardmod. If all your discs are NTSC-U, you should just update officially.

Here's what I'd do. I also have a Wasabi (v3).

3.3U is fine, but in my opinion, 4.1U is the best System Menu for hardmodded Wii's as anything later breaks the partial region-free capability. You can update to 4.1U using New Super Mario Bros Wii, but make sure the disc is NTSC-U. After this is done, you may want to disable disc updates using the Wasabi 3.0 upgrade/config disc.

This brings you largely upto date with the exception of IOS58, now I recommend you bannerbomb to install Homebrew Channel, and then use GeckoOS, to boot your non-brickblocked/clean disc, it will install the needed IOS for you. Alternatively, you could use wadImport to manually install an IOS.

Sound like alot of work? Keep in mind the Wii is nearing its end of life, this will be the last work you'd have to do whilst maintaining compatibility with nearly ALL Wii game-discs.

4. RchUncleSkeleton

Member RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

United States
    The Wii is nearing the end of it's life? Honestly E3 hasn't even come yet so the Wii Successor hasn't even been officially announced plus it's going to be at least 1 year for it to come out after it is announced also take in to the fact that the Wii will continue to get releases for about a year after the new system is released....that gives us at least another 2 years before they stop producing Wii games and one of the biggest Wii games, Legend of Zelda:Skyward Sword, is slated for a fall release this year. There will almost certainly be another System Menu update when this game is released.

5. saloalea

Newcomer saloalea Member

Canada
    Face it, the Wii is done like dinner. In the case of hard-modded Wii's, Zelda/Kirby/DQX MIGHT require a new IOS and certainly be playable on older System Menu's. But honestly, I think Ninty has given up.

Or hey, maybe a new trick? BCA round 2? LET'S HOPE!

6. sbihue
    OP

Newcomer sbihue Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the info guys, I am still trying to catch up. My Wii is a D2E using a Wasabi with a Wii clip. The chip was installed around Ayg, 2008 so am not sure what version of wasabi chip was used. A few questions Pl....

1. Would the Wii (3.3U) play official WII disks despite having the Wasabi chip?
    2. When a Wii game asks for an update (like the New SMB), would I know the IOS that it will update to (e.g. 3.3U current to 4.1U - on the Disk)
    3. (Very Important).... Would the upgrade to 4.1U allow me to play ALL the DVD's that are currently playing fine on 3.3U. This is critical since there are quite a few that my kids love to play and I wouldn't be able to get access to those games soon if the update to 4.1U renders those useless.
    4. I already have Homebrew installed and I think gecko is also installed. Can they be used to update?
    5. You have indicated an alternative method of updating the IOS to 4.1U using WadImport. I know I have some reading to do but are there any tutorials/guides etc that can be used to walkthrough the process.

Any other pointers are deeply appreciated

Thanks

7. saloalea

Newcomer saloalea Member

Canada
    1. Yes, you can play official discs. Newer games may require an update which can be blocked by your Wasabi using the config disc. If they blackscreen, you're missing an IOS (Boot it with GeckoOS once).

2. New Super Mario Bros Wii (USA) contains the 4.1U update, thats a fact. Never update from an out-of-region disc.

3. Yes. 4.1U will have the same disc compatibility as 3.3U for hardmods. 4.2U/4.3U will break this.

4. You can use GeckoOS to boot your game, Gecko will install any needed IOS for you. Doesn't work with brickblocked discs. Your System Menu will remain the same. After doing this once, you can then launch the game through the Disc Channel.

5. Don't mix up IOS's and System Menu's. You can install an IOS on any System Menu. Gecko would do this for you automatically.

Good luck!

8. sbihue
    OP

Newcomer sbihue Newbie

United States
    Success.....

Since I already had Homebrew, I just d/l'd the latest gecko (1.9.3.1) and used it to load the game. It installed the required wads. The backup game DVD already had the update install removed (Brick Blocker) so on reboot, the game(s) are now loading fine from the DVD channel.
    I will remain on 3.3U for now.

P.S. When I start homebrew channel, I get an HB update message. The update is downloaded but HB is not upgraded. This is not an issue but am wondering whats going on.

Thanks for helping out. I have happy kids dancing to the beats right now [​IMG]