Wii #2591 - AFL (Australia)

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
Woo!!! Go Magpies! Can't wait to try this out... it's been almost 10 years since I've had a chance to play an AFL game. Haven't had a PC to play the newer titles on, last played was EA's AFL 99 on PC. And since than only been playing Xbox/Xbox360 which are region locked, so I've not been able to play those versions either.

danweb

Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
DjFIL said:
Woo!!! Go Magpies! Can't wait to try this out... it's been almost 10 years since I've had a chance to play an AFL game. Haven't had a PC to play the newer titles on, last played was EA's AFL 99 on PC. And since than only been playing Xbox/Xbox360 which are region locked, so I've not been able to play those versions either.

Magpies supporters are the rudest! Not all of them, obviously, but enough to make booing noises when the opposing team is kicking for goal, or doing something else beneficial to that team. I hate going to matches with magpies supporters just because of that.

QUOTE(nando @ May 18 2011, 02:29 AM) awesome! i love short shorts!

There are plenty to be found in this game.

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, AFL fans always do get the shaft by mediocre video games. Will there ever be a really good AFL game? Few comments.

-Graphics look worse than a PS2 game, at least it does do proper 16:9 (no boarders at all) when I force NTSC.
-Animations are very choppy, and the commentary is even worse for choppiness.
-By default you're setup to play (quick-time style) mini games for toss-ups, tackles & marks... thankfully you can turn this off in the menus.
-Motion controls are used too much, button+swing w/ button release timing for marks, kicks, passes, spoils. Only tackles and sprinting are simple button presses. But one good note on the controls, it supports Wii sideways, Wii+Nunchuck & GameCube (but oddly not the Classic Controller). Wish I had a GameCube controller lying around, I'm guessing game play is probably better with that.

It's really too bad since I found Rugby League 3 (same publisher, though not the same developer) to be a very enjoyable game. But since I'm a big AFL fan, this will stay on my Wii HDD for future play. Give it maybe a 5/10... it's playable, and enjoyable if you really like AFL... but could use some big improvements.

sdoc96

Creaky Old Stiff Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
danweb said:
Magpies supporters are the rudest! Not all of them, obviously, but enough to make booing noises when the opposing team is kicking for goal, or doing something else beneficial to that team.
WOW - have not been to many games have you? Try going to Adelaide supporting a team from another state.
GO PIES!!!!

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
The Rugby League 3 game protection only occurred with only some loaders. USB Loader GX gave me that "locked demo mode" protection, but CFG USB Loader and WiiGator's Backup Launcher gets right around that and the full game is 100% playable. But I will confirm this AFL game works 100% fine for me on a NTSC-U 4.2 using CFG USB Loader.

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
danweb said:
Magpies supporters are the rudest! Not all of them, obviously, but enough to make booing noises when the opposing team is kicking for goal, or doing something else beneficial to that team. I hate going to matches with magpies supporters just because of that.

Wow, Booing opponents to try and distract them while making a kick for goal is rude? Don't come to any NBA game here in North America, it's even worse during free throws. Or NFL/CFL (gridiron football) for field goals or conversion point kicks, or just in general when the away team is on offence trying to call a play in the huddle. Crowd noise and/or distraction is just a standard part of any professional sport.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DjFIL said:
danweb said:

Wow, Booing opponents to try and distract them while making a kick for goal is rude? Don't come to any NBA game here in North America, it's even worse during free throws. Or NFL/CFL (gridiron football) for field goals or conversion point kicks, or just in general when the away team is on offence trying to call a play in the huddle. Crowd noise and/or distraction is just a standard part of any professional sport.

not tennis or golf.

but golf is not a sport i guess.

luminalace

Trophies
XP
Country
This game turned out better than I ever expected! Graphics aren't the best but the game is fun!

Carn the Bombers!

danweb

Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
QUOTE(danweb @ May 17 2011, 02:32 PM)

I understand what you are trying to say, but when all other team supporters sit/stand quietly hoping for a miss, pies supporters make annoying booing noises.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you want a good system to port it to, at least have a good programmer and knowledge.