Wii #2588 - Virtua Tennis 4 (USA)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chanser, May 12, 2011.

May 12, 2011
  1. Chanser
    OP

Member Chanser :o

Macau
    ^^wiirelease-5339^^

2. naved.islam14

Member naved.islam14 Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™

Sri Lanka
    Wish I had it [​IMG]

3. camurso_

Member camurso_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Portugal
    Shitty game... [​IMG]

4. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    I played the motion mode for a while and, off course it sucked! The Wii motion plus should only have been marketed as a peripheral for Wii Sport Resort and Tiger Woods. For other games it just fails miserably.

After that I played a few games in the traditional NES-style, and actually it was rather fun and addictive. I got the hang of it pretty quick. The animation is pretty fluid as well and overall it just feels like a solid game.

5. mister_C

Newcomer mister_C Member

United States
    This just makes me want to dig out my Dreamcast and play the original. I remember the gameplay felt so smooth and natural. I wonder how this one stacks up?

6. DjFIL

Member DjFIL GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Had Top Spin 4 waiting, and now with Virtua Tennis 4 released... it's perfect time to compare. They both fail, the end. But really...

Top Spin 4 has a clunky control system that requires you to swing early. Aiming is done with the thumb stick, instead of timing based. Overall a clumsy feeling game that just doesn't work for me. This was just based on tutorials, and put me off from actually trying a full match.

Virtua Tennis 4... it's a pretty good game if you just want to play with the wiimote in the NES layout. But who plays sports games on the Wii without motion controls (MLB Power Pros 2008 being my only exception to this rule)? So there's a specific mode for motion controls... yeah, you can't play the world tour career or arcade modes with motion controls... what gives Sega? But once you play the game with motion controls you won't want to come back to this mode anyway. Once you get in to the rally, as the ball comes towards you, you are put in to a first person view. This view I found very disorientating and tough to control my swing timing. Worst thing about it, there are no options to change the camera.

Thank goodness back in 2009 EA released Grand Slam Tennis, this is my #1 tennis title on Wii. Takes a bit to get used to the motion controls (just remind your self to always reset your hands back to center position after each swing). If it wasn't for that and Wii Sports Tennis (and Resort's Table Tennis), there would be no good tennis games on the Wii.