Wii #1768 - F1 2009 (Europe)

C

CasperH

Why do they never include a online game mode?
hate2.gif

Comedor

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Heard good thing about it, and it's the only serious race game on Wii (Dirt is NOT a game, sorry).

And damn! What's happening to US release groups? Darkside Chronicles hasn't been dumped yet, I'm guessing we will get PAL version first.
wtf.gif

MAD_BOY

Lazy bum
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thiago Kotaki May said:
Heard good thing about it, and it's the only serious race game on Wii (Dirt is NOT a game, sorry).

And damn! What's happening to US release groups? Darkside Chronicles hasn't been dumped yet, I'm guessing we will get PAL version first.
wtf.gif
only serious racer? Try Ferrari Challenge.

Raylene2K7

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
I've just played the game for like 1 hour and i think it's not bad. I was expecting more but it's still ok.

Steering is pretty difficult because is super sensitive. I had no chance finishing Monaco without touching something every damn corner. I changed to Nunchuk+Wiimote after 20 minutes (unfortunately the Gamecube controller isn't supported) which is a lot easier.

Unfortunately Abu Dhabi is no evening/night race, but Singapore is of course.

7.5/10

ringorinfret

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does this play more like "arcade" or more like a sim? I come from the GP2-3-4 series on the PC which were fantastic as a race simulation...so thats more my style, but still...a f1 game on the wii! that cant be that bad can it? :-)

edit: anybody tried it on a NTSCU console?

Raylene2K7

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
It's more arcade than sim but it's still tough to stay on the road without any assists turned on. The KERS system is new to a F1 game of course but it feels very familiar to everyone because of the "F-Zero"-games
smile.gif

btw - i changed back to Wiimote-only steering
biggrin.gif

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
My F1 2009 Review. This is working fine on my 4.2U (NTSC) console using the awesome 'mod any wii' guide found here on GBAtemp and USB Loader GX.

Presentation (menu/options)
Menus are simple, easy to navigate, and look sharp with the F1 theme. There are lots of options. Driving options are good for F1 gamers of all levels of experience; more about assists later. Race weekends are the real deal, and full length qualifying is included with all 3 sessions (you can fast forward in 3 minute intervals while waiting in the pits, good if you are already in the lead), and races can be 3 laps or 10%, 25%, 50%, 100% of the real world race length. There is also wether options; clear or variable (includes rain!). I haven't checked out car setup or season/career mode yet.

Game Graphics
Game graphics look pretty good for a Wii game at 480p, I don't know how IGN was expecting very much better. The track models look really good, 100% recognizable and textures are of good quality for a Wii game when trying to look realistic. Car models look fine, in-car view looks really nice. Pretty good sense of speed. Never saw any frame drops, even with a 20 car grid ahead of me.

Gameplay
First to say, I love racing simulations. My Xbox 360 I have the 360 Feedback wheel on a racing stand... love Forza 3, Race Pro, and Codemasters Games (Dirt 2 is bit arcadey on 360, but is still very enjoyable game and driving experience). But I understand the limitations of the Wii Remote as a racing controller. You have an analog steering input, which isn't always 100% precise and has no input feedback like a racing wheel, and you have digital (on/off) buttons for gas/brake. It's not the best for simulations, so you have to make compromises.

Now with that being said... I ran this game with the Wii Remote using the controls above explained... had only anti-lock brakes and anti-spin (traction control) enabled, with the braking timing and steering assists turned off. And like this, it plays great! The steering is set with a good amount of dead zone and sensitivity, I had no issues with getting around turns. With the traction control and anti-lock brakes, the braking and acceleration is well done... and is what you need to focus on. You have to hit your braking points right, turn in at the right time, and hit the gas with no hesitation... and if you push enough and focus all the way, you will get those amazing lap times which appear to be realistic to that of real life. And this is what makes me happy about F1 2009 Wii. I don't feel like the game is helping me too much, and I'm still very much in control of the car. KERS is on every car, it's not realistic but makes it fair. Car damage isn't 100% realistic; hitting a wall at 200+ km/h, I drove away, but did loose my front wing. Don't think suspension can be damaged. Game says technical car failures are possible (as an option), but i didn't see any in my 2 races. AI is fine, but they do follow the line too closely. Easy was too easy for me, but medium was a good challenge. There is no 'catch up' AI or you, which is realistic... but makes me wish there was a rewind feature like in the Xbox 360 Codemasters games (GRID and Dirt 2) or Forza 3. There is no safety car, probably since there is no major car damage. Pit stop system works fine, you are even required 1 pit stop if you choose any race longer then 3 laps and you have fuel/tire wear on. And there are real rules, including drive through for cutting corners or over aggressive driving during races.

Overall
This game is exactly what I expected and\or wanted out if a F1 Wii game. The game is as realistic as the input method will let it be. I would like to see further damage, but it's not too major. Graphics are about the quality I expect from a Wii game. Addition of Online would be nice. But for me, this makes me satisfied as a fan of F1 and will hold me over until the release of F1 2010 on the Xbox 360, so I can get a full simulation experience.

8/10

ringorinfret

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for your review! I will surely give it a go... its sad that we had to use buttons as break and gas... i saw a wheel for the Wii from Intec I believe and wondered if it offered analog break/gas ...?? The nunchuk stick is analog or digital? I am sure some kind of controller could be made to accomodate that need...anyway...will try this when the NTSC comes out (even though you said that the PAL release works on NTSC)

thanks

jakejm79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Figured I would add my 2 cents:

It's not a bad game, but missing a few key elements, with some better control options and more polish it could have been a great game. The wheel doesn't provide enough feedback to be useful, plus the motion controls are a little 'wonky' just moving the wheel left or right and not turning it will send the car all over the road (when will someone do a M+ wheel game?), the nunchuck is OK, but just doesn't offer the range of motion needed. Also the lack of analog accelerator and brake really limit you, you have no option to dab the brakes to balance the car without significantly slowing down. Lastly the game lacks a little polish, the intros for the weekend sessions are nice, but you have no highlight or instant replay feature. Also the game is a little on the dumbed down side, the penalty for putting wheels off the track is to instantly slow your car to a crawl, understandable for gravel traps, but 2 wheels on wet grass should equal a nasty spin not slowing down. The damage model is adequate, not GP4 level, but it urges you to be a little cautious. The graphics aren't bad (nor great), the game looks pretty good while in a spectator mode, but once your behind the wheel the ugly front/suspension look is a little disappointing. Hopefully they make a 2nd one, while not a bad game, I think with a sequel they could have a real hit on their hands (maybe packaged with a USB force feedback pedal and wheel package). I love F1 and racing games and this will fill a void, but I am just left wondering what a little more effort would have done to this game. Maybe this time next year it will be time to build that super gaming PC, mock up a F1 cockpit with FF wheel and strap myself in for F1 2010

camurso_

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, they could make use of the balance board for accelerating and braking, just as if it was a real car with pedals...

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
ringorinfret said:
thanks for your review! I will surely give it a go... its sad that we had to use buttons as break and gas... i saw a wheel for the Wii from Intec I believe and wondered if it offered analog break/gas ...?? The nunchuk stick is analog or digital? I am sure some kind of controller could be made to accomodate that need...anyway...will try this when the NTSC comes out (even though you said that the PAL release works on NTSC)

thanks

The Nunchuck stick would be considered analog, because you can press it 1/2 a direction and walk slowly, or all the way and walk fast in games. Supposedly you can use the Nunchuck with Wiimote, but i think the nunchuck stick will be stearing, and something else (maybe A/B, maybe tilting the wiimote) would be gas/brake. But I'm happy enough with Wiimote only when using the non-slip accel and non-skid braking assists. Balance board idea I think has been used by another game, or maybe it was just suggested by someone in a thread, i forget... may be interesting to use if available. And a full FFB wheel for Wii would be cool... but personally I'd never buy it as I already have my $250 setup for my Xbox 360, and that's the system I take my racing very seriously on. And I agree about the slowing when down off track... they already give you a drive through penalty for cutting corners, so there should be no need to do this, as you'll already have to take the penalty, which will put you behind where you were if you had taken the corner properly. But I'm also not 100% sure, but may not be spinning when on grass because of the traction control (anti-slip) assist... but again I'll personally have to wait for the Xbox 360 version when I can turn off all the assists and have full control, then I'll be harsh on my review of the driving physics.

Ofterdingen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
An analogue brake/throttle control would be really great for the game, has anybody tried to play it with the Classic Controller? Since it has analogue shoulder buttons.

jakejm79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The classic controller does have analog shoulder buttons, when I looked at the box at the store it appeared they were only digital, I picked up the gamecube controller instead cos it appeared that was the only one that offered analog triggers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.