Wii #1523 - Colin McRae: DiRT 2 (Europe)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chanser, Sep 10, 2009.

Sep 10, 2009
  1. Chanser
    OP

Member Chanser :o

Macau
    ^^wiirelease-2923^^

2. Raylene2K7

Member Raylene2K7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jamaica
    1. game is not just ENGLISH, it's multi5 (at least)
    2. game sucks!

- bad graphics (i think the wii is a time machine, because it gives you graphics from the past, like from 2001 or 2002)
    - bad music (like in the DS version the music is the cheapest crap they could find)
    - bad sound effects (sound like a rusty vacuum cleaner)
    - no rally (after 2 hours of playing still no rally events, just 4-car arcade action race event crap)
    - no gamecube controller support (just wiimote, wiimote+nunchuk and classic-controller - and you can't edit the button mapping)

I've played the Wii and the DS versions for over 2 hours each - and i have to say they both suck!
    I'm a Colin McRae Rally fan since day one, i've got all the past games and played them to death. The only way to have fun with Dirt 2 is by getting the 360 or PS3 version but don't waste your time with the Wii & DS versions, i gave them a fair chance but they get even worse after 2 hours playing!

It's worth a dvd-r, ok, but definitely not worth buying!

3. fuzzyponken

Newcomer fuzzyponken Member

Sweden
    I agree. This game absolutely does suck. The graphics are BAD. Don't be fooled by some pretty screenshot somewhere, the graphics are garbage. Everything in the environment just has this PS1 sort of blockiness, trees and bushes are just 2D sprites, and everything that isn't your race track is basically an endless flat one colored surface, kind of like in STUNTS, if anyone remembers that. You can't actually go there, of course, if you leave the track by so much as an inch you are immediately teleported back. Fuck! You could leave the track to explore some even in Colin McRae Rally from 1998 for the Playstation, are you telling me the Wii can't handle that? And still there are pretty massive slowdowns on basically EVERY level. I'm fine with some slowdowns if the graphics are good, but this is just embarrassing.
    This would all be fine (afterall, I didn't buy a Wii for the graphics) if the game was actually worth two shits, but it's not. It's arcady as fuck, there's no actually buying cars or tuning them prior to races, you just unlock shit as you go, and you get almost no choice in what sort of races you want to participate in, it's just "here's a dune buggy, have fun".....and I suppose that's all fine if that's what you're looking for, but the actual racing was crap too, of course. It controls like shit, lucky for me I have a classic controller, I tried using the Wiimote and there was no way that was a viable way to play this game. But the classic controller obviously doesn't have any force feedback or analog buttons, so it basically feels like you're playing a SNES game or something.

I don't know what the game is like for the other platforms, but I can't imagine it's this bad. It's games like this that makes me regret buying a Wii. I turned the game off disgusted by the lack of effort about an hour in. There is NO WAY this game gets any better if I play more of it.
    And I was psyched for this, too. I've been looking for a racing game for the Wii for a while now, but everything on there is just ugly arcade bullshit. I'm not looking for Gran Turismo, I just want a semi realistic game where you race ordinary cars and that doesn't look like a PS1 game, but apparently that is impossible on the Wii.

4. scousethief

Member scousethief GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Not impossible , just lazy arsed developers looking to cash in by doing as little work as possible , some nice looking games on the Wii just outweighed by the massive amounts of shite people are expected to buy , and when they dont , well , thats just down to piracy lol.

5. kingofsnake

Newcomer kingofsnake Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Why can't developers of racing games get to grips with the wiimote, anyone who has played Mario Kart, Exite Truck or Excite Bots kows it is perfectly possible to get the wiimote steering a vehicle, this is a heap of tosh for anyone who only has a wiimote and not a classic controller.

6. ConJ

Member ConJ The Toker

United Kingdom
    Im so glad I didnt pay money for this. I would of been so disapointed if id shelled out £30 for this pile of poo.

And like kingofsnake said, the Wiimote/wheel controls suck, especially when you compare them to MarioKart and Excite Truck/Bots.

7. referencer

Member referencer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    [​IMG]

Raise your hand if this was the first thing you thought of.

8. ringorinfret

Member ringorinfret GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i kinda like need for speed pro street...its a decent game and graphics are neat

9. Neversoft

Member Neversoft GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I came to this thread so I could have a lengthy, cathartic rant about this game but you've beaten me to it [​IMG] I agree with pretty much every point you made...

- Wiimote controls are too sensitive but it's not so bad with the Classic Controller.
    - The "physics" are non-existent, you bounce about like you're on the moon when you crash and invariably land on all four wheels pointing in the right direction.
    - The graphics, while not totally awful, suffer from bland (cutout) scenery and some MAJOR framerate issues at times. Also, I'm not sure if it's the graphics, pallette issues or me being colour blind but it's pretty hard to work out where the track is going at times.
    - The game is as shallow as a puddle. No customisation, no proper career mode.

The Wii is desperate for a proper driving game and this isn't it, it's a lazy hack-job. Sure there's ExciteTruck, MarioKart blah blah blah but the closest the Wii gets to a decent driving game with "real" cars is Need for Speed, which in itself is ok but it's not exactly Gran Turismo or Project Gotham is it?

10. Kenshin Br

Member Kenshin Br GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    The worst game I've played on my Wii.

That Data Design racing games are better tha this. I'm serius about it. It's better to platy Classic British Motor Racing than play this piece of garbage.

I will wait for Need for Speed Nitro while I play good racing Wii games (Excite Truck, Excite Bots and Mario Kart).

11. 1ronlung

Member 1ronlung GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Looks like I'll be giving this a miss .....