Wii #1299 - Monster Hunter G (Japan)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chanser, Apr 21, 2009.

Apr 21, 2009
  1. Chanser
    OP

Member Chanser :o

Macau
    ^^wiirelease-2183^^

2. Chanser
    OP

Member Chanser :o

Macau
    Online play is not free.
    - There will be a 14 day free online trial campaign
    - For ongoing online play, players will have to purchase Hunting Tickets
    - 30 days ticket = 800 Wii points, 60 days ticket = 1500 Wii points, 90 days ticket = 2000 Wii points

3. Zerrix

Member Zerrix GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Go and suck your own balls, Nintendo!
    I'm going to play the hell out of this game offline as soon as I see an european release.

4. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    So this is the remake of the first game right. And you have to pay for online. WTF. One of nintendo's main redeming features is that it is free online, despite it not being very good.

5. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Monster Hunter in Japan never had free online. The first MH on the PS2 had online you had to pay for, too. It was a bit more than just "match make with three random people and go on a set mission." There was a huge lobby you would hang out in, where you'd put your party together and then head out. It had more features than a typical online game.

6. gacktgacktgackt

Member gacktgacktgackt GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Yes but since the PSP iterations of the game, which are now widely accepted as the most played, the online aspect has always been handled with xLink Kai... so most fans of the game have come to accept being able to play online for free one wa or another.

There's absolutely no reason why an instanced based game like this should be charged for online. The server costs aren't huge to run a game of this type, so there really shouldn't be any justification for it. Guild Wars is free, why can't this be?

At any rate I don't care, there's no reason for this to exist, they should have just held out and worked on releasing MHIII. The only people this will appeal to in Japan will be the Monster Hunter fans. Unfortunately the Monster Hunter fans are still too busy with MH2PG to bother with a Wii remake of the first game (which was really quite shit to be honest).

7. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    This release makes me cry. No US release. Oh well, I'll stick to my other games while waiting for MH3.

8. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    I've always wanted to play these Monster Hunter games, but I've never had a Sony console. And now, they are on a Nintendo console, but in Japanese... AFAIK, there will be no Western release, will it?

More money for Nintendo Capcom perhaps?

9. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    But free online was nintendo's only drawcard. Now I wasn't aware of the previous games being pay-to-play as I only really knew of the PSP games and as far as I knew, they were free. The only way I think they can get away with it is if they set up new servers and ignore Nintendo's ones, much like EA with their EA nation servers they use for online. Those serverers actually use many features of the PSN and XBOX live and it works quite well.

10. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    And since this game is Capcom's and not Nintendo's, free online still is Nintendo's only drawcard! [​IMG]

Capcom is most likely using their own servers for this game, probably the PS2 ones.. that's why they are charging. MH games were always free in the west, but always required subscription in Japan, this is nothing unusual.

This game is being sold bundled with a MH style classic controller and a MH3 demo.. it will sell loads in Japan! Also, Capcom already said this is not coming to US or Europe.

11. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Edit: Nevermind. Didn't read the rest of this thread.

12. Jei

Member Jei Translator and romhacker wannabe

Brazil
    If it were released in western lands it would be pretty good, but then you said it won't... T_T

I saw some of the commercials and it really looks like a Mmorpg experience for the Wii, it's so sad it's not f2p.

13. Gaisuto

United States
    BTW for those interested in downloading this for various reasons, note you must have a Classic Controller to play this, there is no other control method.

14. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    Yea, I don't see why people are bashing Nintendo for this.
    Online is being run on Capcom's servers and Capcom is the one charging the fee.

I'm sure the demo of Tri will be enough to get this to sell like hotcakes.

As a side note, Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe are other instanced games that have an online fee.

15. ReverseFate

Newcomer ReverseFate Advanced Member

Canada
    I'm surprised that no one asked this before, but does this release include the MH Tri demo in the ISO?

Regradless, I'll get it and see how well it plays, so hope its playable without any knowledge of Japanese. xD

16. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom

that's capcom loss then, they didn't release monster hunter G in english on the ps2, why would capcom need to be selfish and not release this version in western markets? there is no excuse imo as monster hunter is just a popular in the west.

17. Knocks

Member Knocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Just buy the Classic Controller. It's the only Wii accessory that's worth buying.

18. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    The only really enjoyable MH game I played was Monster Hunter Freedom 2. Dunno why people are that fussed about this game, do we need another average PS2 port?

Forget about it, look forward to Monster Hunter G 3 instead.

19. Gaisuto

United States
    A) Nope, Classic Controller only.
    B) Monster Hunter is nowhere as close to popular here as it is in Japan. There's a reason why they shut down the servers for the first PS2 game, but in Japan it's still going strong.

20. Comedor

Member Comedor GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    Can someone tell us the details about this release?

Is it possible to select the MH3 DEMO by NOT using the Classic Controller? Seems to be a different disc...

[​IMG]