Wii #0189 - Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (USA)

Dazimus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Haven't been on it too long, just moving around the village. Impressions so far are that it's very good, I like the controls (although the general movement and turning is taking some getting used to) and feel I'd prefer them more using the Wiimote to aim than a normal pad.

Also having no problems with aiming like Eurogamer's review said they had aiming problems.

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Haven't been on it too long, just moving around the village. Impressions so far are that it's very good, I like the controls (although the general movement and turning is taking some getting used to) and feel I'd prefer them more using the Wiimote to aim than a normal pad.

Also having no problems with aiming like Eurogamer's review said they had aiming problems.

What are the aiming problems you speak of?

aligborat69

Trophies
XP
Country
There are no aiming problems, its an excellent game, well worth the update, im a bit confused though. There is a release called: Resident.Evil.4.Wii.Edition.NTSC.BrickBlocked-Cyn which the nfo says has the Update removed, yet it did not ask me to update when i tried the original release. I only patched with regionfrii for my PAL machine, which is upto date with updates, but shouldnt the Wii normally ask to update, even if you are upto date?

Sounds werid to me, just looked like it had no update in the first place, so whats with the brickblocker repost?! LOL

aligborat69

Trophies
XP
Country
Review

We all know RE4 is an amazing game and probably the best Resident Evil game ever made, but the new controls give it something we all wish it had in the first place.

I see this as a perfect gap filler until Umbrella Chronicles is unleashed.

Not only that, but its being released with a very good pricetag, £29.99 GBP retail, but online stores are selling it for £24.99 GBP, for a new release (ok its an old title) a price like that is very considerate and not taking advantage. In fact alot of wii games are well priced, which i feel really helps with the system sales.

I own all RE games originals and although im playing RE4Wii with Wiikey, i will most likely get the original for my collection later on :-)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just been playing this at a mates, its the best version! The knife is more useful with the controls too. It looks a lot sharper as well and though its a lot easier as its easier to aim you still get the sense of "urgency" like you did in the GC version.

Always rated the GC one 9 half out of 10, this one is a 10! Well done to Capcom for putting the effort in.

Dazimus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Eurogamer review

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=77839

"Since it's only £25, you might as well take a punt if you haven't already played it. It's just a shame that one of the best ever action games has become another casualty of the Wii controller. Indeed, for a controller that was supposed to herald a new dawn of inclusive gaming there are a lot of third-party publishers who have yet to get their heads round it. Presumably, when they decided to create a Wii version of Resident Evil 4, Capcom envisaged an even more inclusive version of the best ever action game. What they got is a game that now looks dated, and plays exactly the same but with worse controls. Not exactly a new dawn."

Bashes the control scheme and the visuals as they don't look next-gen. Not sure if the guy realised he was playing on a Wii when he says the graphics look dated next to 360 and PS3 games ... well, obviously!

Shoddy review.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it looks the least bit dated, and worse controls? Wiimote betters it.

aligborat69

Trophies
XP
Country
I never have and never will base my view on a game purely on reviews. Theres games which have got 4/10 which i actually found fun! (Not speaking of just wii, but throughout all video game history). I think that eurogamer review was just one guys opinion, he perhaps just doesnt like the control scheme... but then i love it and find it much better that you can actully shoot the enemies exactly where you want to and not just shoot "at them".

This is easily the best version of the game and even though the ps2 came out a year later and Sony guys boasted extra content, the Gamecube one still felt better and with the new aiming controls its brilliant on Wii.

I cant think of a game which the controls have been a problem, and if you really really dont like how it is, you do have the option to play using the GC pad. But trust me, controls are natural and definitely work amazingly well.

Roll on Umbrella Chronicles... Yeah baby

D

Deleted User

Shoddy review.
Seconded! That review was plain horrible.

I ordered the Wii version since the USA GCN version I already own doesn't work on my PAL Wii and actually I don't want to get another Freeloader/AR because this is the only imported game I own for GCN. Although I didn't play through it on GCN.
smile.gif

Does anyone of you know if the German version will be fully uncut with all the extras this time (as it wasn't on GCN)? I ordered from play.com to be on the safe side and I don't mind playing it in English. I'm just curious.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't think it looks the least bit dated, and worse controls? Wiimote betters it.
I have to agree that the controls are better (it's so much easier to do headshots now
laugh.gif
), but a game that's 3 years old *does* look dated...no matter how good it looked at the time...pretty much every game on the Wii will look dated, because the graphics are far behind the X360 or PS3...there's no way around it

that being said, if you're a lover of RE4 and you've played through it on the GameCube several times, it won't hurt you to play it again on the Wii
wink.gif

If you had enough after playing through RE4 once, the Wii version doesn't offer much to get you back to playing...the controls make aiming much easier, but that's all that's new...it's still the same game after all - don't spend any money on it if you already have the GC or PS2 version...

PS: since it hasn't been confirmed yet: this game does not auto-update your Wii, even without patching it with the WiiBrickBlocker

aligborat69

Trophies
XP
Country
I played the original release yesterday and there was no signs of any updates or attempt to update and i have a PAL wii. Think its some mis-information somewhere. Unless it only tries an update if it detects old firmware?!

gamermole

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
damn ive just got home and found out the file i downloaded only contains files from 1 to 69 and it says i need 70 to resume unzip. approximately howmany parts am i missing?

gamermole

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
ok thanks for that ive just found the missing rars lol damn i really wanted to give this a blast tonight
mad.gif
ohwell goodjob i booked tomorrow off work
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: