WIFI Nite SATURDAY 5/22/10

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, May 19, 2010.

May 19, 2010
  1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    [​IMG] WIFI Nite SATURDAY 5/22/10
    MKDS Anyone?
    [​IMG]

Saturday 5/22/10 is the 3rd WIFI Nite.

WIFI Nite is back! We have been focusing a lot on Mario Kart DS this past week and I expect this game to have a strong presence during WIFI Nite. Bring your friend codes, track hacks, and your skills! Online cheating is not tolerated and people who continuously power-slide (snake) are not appreciated! Remember that WIFI Nite is about fun, and we try to promote a stress-free open-discussion gaming environment.

What is allowed:
    • The channel supports NDS/Wii/Retro gaming, ONLY!
    • Retro gaming including EMU's that support Kaillera or GGPO and games more than 12yrs old.

What is off-topic/not allowed:
    • No other modern "PREVIOUS-GEN" or "NEXT-GEN" gaming will be supported, IE: X-BOX, PS2, X-BOX 360, etc.
    • No other handheld WIFI gaming will be supported, IE: PSP, etc.
    • Absolutely no public chat ROM trading of any kind.

How to connect to the channel

Official Guides:
    [​IMG] Nestopia - GBATemp WIFI Nite Online Co-op How-to Guide

Additional Links:
    [​IMG] Official Big-N WIFI page
    [​IMG] DS Compatible WIFI Game List
    [​IMG] GBATemp Friendcode Database
    [​IMG] Start Time For Your Timezone
    [​IMG] Discuss

2. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Count me in, just got my DS set back up with the Internet so i'll definitely be there, just gotta update my Friend Code database as all of the codes have changed

3. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    I wouldn't think this would be a problem by now,, as I'm sure everyone who still plays mkDS has learned to snake. Honestly it's in the game, and even though its a glitch, it's more like emergent gameplay than cheating. But this has been discussed before so I shall hold my peace, lol.

4. tanjiajun_34

Newcomer tanjiajun_34 Advanced Member

Singapore
    I did not know that snaking have a glitch....

5. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    All it means is that snaking will not be be looked nicely upon. There's no need for a discussion whether it's part of the gameplay or not since that won't change the outcome.

6. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    Another World, i will need pratice to beat you ;____; you have been beating me all week, haha

7. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    I might join in on this. I'm glad there won't be any snaking...I hate it, and even if I could do it (Which I still can't...), I wouldn't do it online.

8. Drag0nflamez

Member Drag0nflamez GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I could join, if someone would help me with the WPA2 and my brother kills me if i change router settings and software AP's didn't work out too i had an old router but he needed to sell it :@

9. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    unless you have a dsi or later, there is not much you can do

ILL JOIN!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

10. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    Even if he has a DSi.... The games can still only use WEP, the DSi games and DSiware can use wep... but not ds games even if used on the DSi

11. Keatsta

Newcomer Keatsta Member

Canada
    How do you define snaking? Powersliding on sections of track that aren't curved? Trying to strictly define what is or isn't snaking is almost as ridiculous as trying to ban it.

12. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    You just defined it. It's not that hard to tell when someone is snaking, which is what you seem to be questioning. If you have such a need to snake in every race, go make your own race night that allows it.

13. Keatsta

Newcomer Keatsta Member

Canada
    OK, so I'm allowed to powerslide as many times as I can on any section that has a slight bend? Because I'm sure most people would yell "snaking" if someone beats them while doing just that. And yes, it is pretty hard to tell if someone is snaking, mainly because in a racing game it's pretty difficult to maintain sight on a player for the entire race. People usually just assume someone is snaking if they choose a kart with good handling and then win. So what else is banned? PBR? Certain short cuts? Aiming your shells too well? Drafting? Getting the boost at the start? Why not cut to the chase of what "no snaking" rules actually are: no taking the game any more seriously than we are.

I'm fine with people playing casually and not caring who wins or loses. It's still an awesome and fun game at any skill level. Decrying an entire competitive scene due to poor understanding of one technique I am not fine with.

14. Drag0nflamez

Member Drag0nflamez GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    yes nintendo was so lazy ass that they didn't make an advanced firmware or a way to use WPA2 on the DSi... [​IMG] now ninty forces us to get things from manafacturers they don't like - for example Datel...

15. King Zargo

Member King Zargo I'm a Star

Netherlands
    The anti-snaking rule was obviously created by a skill-less loser who doesn't want to learn additional skills and finds it easier to drag the opponent down to his or her skill level.

16. bluebowser31

Member bluebowser31 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    wow sounds great! this will be my first time, so i hope i have everything installed right...

i think its silly to ban snaking, i mean ive only played the game once, and am terrible at snaking, but if people have mastered i think it should be allowed...

17. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    i mastered snaking. but i only use it if im far behind

(from constant screwing around [​IMG])

18. joybeba6679

Member joybeba6679 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My thoughs exactly. Snaking is cheating, thats why my MKDS is hacked to the core and I only use the hack when someone begins to snake like crazy. I really dont know why Ninty havent taken out that thing yet. MKDS online is full of snakers and cheaters, but if im not provocked i dont cheat, depends on what they do...

PS: Snaking is not skills, snaking is cheating, I dont need snaking to win and ive proven that a lot of times on MKWii, when they get a course they cant snake, the 8000 + always lose, why? Cuz they dont know the game, they dont have skills theyve just mastered a cheating move simple as that...

19. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    If snaking isn't appreciated them I'm in!
    Hope to have fun (and actually be able to join...).

20. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i'm not sure how to respond to all of the ignorant and ridiculous comments. snaking is a stupid thing for people who can't win without it. snaking is not a glitch, as its not a bug to be exploited. snaking takes the fun out of the game for people who just want to play. no where in the first post did i say snaking was banned. i said it isn't appreciated. if you want to snake to have some type of bragging rights, then go somewhere else to play. wifi nite is about the community, having fun, gaming, etc. it isn't about who is better, it isn't a competition. you can bet that when i have prizes for competitions anyone who snakes will be banned. if people want to snake then i would expect them to make their own "snaking welcome" games. i for one do not appreciate it and will not appreciate users who use it as a technique for winning.

i would expect players to power-slide around all turns, shooting out of a drift helps you to gain momentum. however, users who exploit it on straight-aways just for the sake of coming in 1st aren’t welcome.

please stop talking about snaking. the whole thread is full of useless banter and stupid speculation over the "true" meaning of snaking and my right to manage MY channel how i see fit.

for anyone who can't set their router to WEP, why not stick to emulator co-op play over kaillera? check out the pc side how-to guide posted in the 1st post. i am always up for so 2 player NES co-op play over kaillera.

-another world